• ...and so much more!
  • g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I don't reload (yet), so this may be a stupid question...
    I ordered some ammo from from freedommunitions.com and just got it in today. I bought some of their PSPs in .223. They don't seal their primers (which I wouldn't expect them to do considering the cost of their ammo), but I was wondering if it would be fine to apply some sealer/lacquer on the primers? Also, would the ammo benefit from doing so? I am not planning on any super long term storage of the ammo, but I would hope that it would stay fine if it got a little wet, like being exposed to rain or even dropped in a puddle for a few seconds while in a mag...something like that.

I also have heard of guys just painting on clear nail polish, but that seems like it would build up and gum up the inner workings of the rifle (AR). I figured it would probably be better to find some commercial stuff out there?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Your ammo won't know that you sealed the primers. The primers are already a press fit. You could retrieve your ammo after a night in the sink and it does not matter one bit.

If it makes you feel better, clear nail polish is probably the easiest way to apply sealant.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Your ammo won't know that you sealed the primers. The primers are already a press fit. You could retrieve your ammo after a night in the sink and it does not matter one bit.

If it makes you feel better, clear nail polish is probably the easiest way to apply sealant.

Sorry, but I've seen first hand several shooters having ammo be ruined after being rained on the day before, not submerged, I kept mine dry. Normal use won't require a sealant, but if you plan on getting it wet, use it immediately or seal it up before hand.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I try to not make a habit of storing my ammo in the sink, but depending on what I am loading for, I do seal the case mouth and primers. I don't use clean nail polish though, I have found it easier to see if I use a colored nail polish. My wife has a hundred or so different ones to choose from, and she usually has several that she does not intend to use again. One thing thing I have noticed, the ones that are lacquer based seem to work best, and clean up easiest.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    I have loaded well over 250,000 rds and rarely used a sealant, but then again I am careful about storing, old ammo cans is what I use. I have used nail polish for a sealant, but if you want to try a commercial product they are available. This one has good reviews at Midway. Here is a link : Custom Bullet Primer Sealer 1/2oz Liquid

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Another vote for the Markron sealant at midway.

I've used it, it looks a lot like nail polish, but I haven't tested it's sealing ability.

They guarantee 30day submersion and no leakage. I plan on testing that here soon on some different ammo.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Somebody prove me wrong.

I am putting 20 rounds of my reloads, with no sealants, in a water filled bucket now and I will shoot them on Saturday. They are all 223. When I shoot them, they will come directly out of the bucket into the magazine without even being wiped off and then fired.

Sealed ammo and crimped primers were a military requirement in 1915. Maybe it made sense then, I don't know.

But it has continued to be a military requirement by the same folks who switched to the mouse gun, demanded the magazine cutoff, and came up with the tank destroyer concept.

I choose to not follow that crowd without question. Anybody else willing to risk ruining 20 rounds of whatever ammo you want to test?

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Somebody prove me wrong.

I am putting 20 rounds of my reloads, with no sealants, in a water filled bucket now and I will shoot them on Saturday. They are all 223. When I shoot them, they will come directly out of the bucket into the magazine without even being wiped off and then fired.

Sealed ammo and crimped primers were a military requirement in 1915. Maybe it made sense then, I don't know.

But it has continued to be a military requirement by the same folks who switched to the mouse gun, demanded the magazine cutoff, and came up with the tank destroyer concept.

I choose to not follow that crowd without question. Anybody else willing to risk ruining 20 rounds of whatever ammo you want to test?

Make sure to let us know the results. I will be basing my decision to order some sealer on them.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have never used sealant on the primers or the bullets. Never had a problem even with my duck hunting shotgun shells. If it is wet outside, I keep the extras in a pocket of my hunting jacket. That always seems to be enough. I generally do not spend three weeks at a time camped out in the swamps in south east Asia. If I did, I would at least like the idea of sealed primers. From looking around, it seems that a lot of reloaders are using way too much. Sealer on military spec ammo is pretty minute and thin. If it makes you feel more confident, I cannot see that it hurts anything. Good Luck.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have 20 of my 55grain SP reloads soaking in a bucket of water for the last two days. No sealant and no crimp. Anybody want to meet me at the range tomorrow and watch while I load them up and shoot them?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    BTW, these are loaded with good old IMR4895 and WSR primers and mixed brass. Nothing magical about this ammo.

Anybody want me to throw some 308 or 30.06 in the bucket? I think I will anyway. Using IMR4064 and RE15 and WLR primers.

Some 22LR is going in too. Federal match ammo.

I just threw in 4 rounds of 12 gauge reloads with 800X powder and #8 shot. Water will easily get inside those.

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Sloughfoot,

Would you do me a personal favor and take some once or twice-fired Federal 308 cases, load those up, and drop in water? If the primer pockets really ARE loose, that test should prove it out?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Sloughfoot,

Would you do me a personal favor and take some once or twice-fired Federal 308 cases, load those up, and drop in water? If the primer pockets really ARE loose, that test should prove it out?

No problem. I loaded up a garand clip with 4 LC and 4 FC brass. They were all out the same bucket. I don't know how many times they have been fired.The other Garand clip has 8 winchester brass in it. I am going to shoot both clips out of a tanker Garand.

ALL of my 308 reloads only get reloaded if the primer goes in with at least a little pressure. Brass with big pockets goes in the recycle bucket and does not get reloaded.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It was kind of a non-event. I loaded the ammo directly out of the water bucket. The 12 Gauge, the 308, and the 223 reloads all went bang. The 22's were a different story. 3 out of 10 failed to fire. I loaded the 22LR FTF's a second time and they still failed to fire.

Sealing your primers can't hurt, but I don't think it is essential. After all, it isn't 1917 and none of us live in the trenches. JMO.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    If I don't get any duds after my water tests, I'll try agitating the ammo in water in a vibrator brass cleaner, and see if that helps the water get in or not.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    It was kind of a non-event. I loaded the ammo directly out of the water bucket. The 12 Gauge, the 308, and the 223 reloads all went bang. The 22's were a different story. 3 out of 10 failed to fire. I loaded the 22LR FTF's a second time and they still failed to fire.

Sealing your primers can't hurt, but I don't think it is essential. After all, it isn't 1917 and none of us live in the trenches. JMO.

cool thanks for letting us know how it turned out

canoeman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    I might seal them if I am going hunting and the area is very damp with frequent rain/drizzle.

Top Bottom