• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Dude you have the worst luck with guns and the public.

Altogether, over years of carrying... I'd say the positive still far outweighs these negatives.

With actual civilians, this is maybe one of a very small handful.

With officers, again... maybe just a couple.

The rest have been pretty positive :)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    So, VERY interesting encounter this morning.

Went to the Dunkin Donuts at 31 and Smith Valley Road. In front of me was a mom and about 5 kids ordering their food. A girl and her boyfriend came in behind me.

Short description: Girl was probably 18-19, around 5'4", wearing Hello Kitty pajama pants and some t-shirt. The boy was taller, maybe 6'0", buff, tattoos, and a tank top. He was more "orange" colored than tan.

The guy walks back to the restroom and the girl gets in line next to me. She looks down and says:

"Oh, so you're carrying a gun. Are you a cop?"
    "No."
    "Huh, so that's for your 'self protection' (she says this with finger-quotes and rolling her eyes) or some ****."
    "Yes, much like you have fire extinguishers, seat belts, etc. just in case. This is my preparation tool for dealing with the criminally insane."

Now she goes off into her rant...

"Look, no offense, but that's just retarded. Kids like grabbing guns, and one could just come up to you and take it." "You have evidence to prove this? I've worked with and trained hundreds of kids and been around many more outside of that. Never heard of such a case where random children grab random people's guns. I'd love to read about it."

My first mistake was responding, I think. Lesson learned... "Never happened."

"YEAH, well, not YET." she yells. I've been carrying for well over a decade and I know those who have for much longer. If that has EVER happened I'm pretty sure I would have heard about it by now. Regardless, touching it doesn't mean they'll be able to remove it sufficiently enough to make it dangerous.

Now she has the attention of the staff and the other customers. "I know what the 'rule' (2nd Amendment) says, and you shouldn't have that out of the house. I get it and everything, you can protect your house... but you can't have that out here, you don't need that. Someone's going to ..." You obviously do NOT know what it says or what it's intent was since you believe it was regarding defense of the home. Perhaps you should read the REST of the documentation from the founding fathers and those close to them.

At this point she lunges her arm out at my gun, and I step to my left to avoid her.

"... Take it. See, I could have just taken it." At which point you would present a threat to me and everyone here, and I would be justified in defending myself.

I'm now more defensive, and turning slightly where she's not on my right-hip.

"Well, my boyfriend could take it. And he'd beat the **** out of you, too." Are you making a threat? I'm sure your boyfriend appreciates you bringing him into such a legal entanglement. Regardless, again that would justify me using force since you would be attacking me unprovoked.

Situation getting more hostile, but she backs off of that and goes back into her rant...

"That's just stupid. I bet THESE people (pointing to the mom and her kids in front of us) don't want you having that here... It's just stupid and dangerous like that. My dad is a lawyer and my family is mostly cops, so I know what I'm talking about." If that's true then I recommend you go and take some lessons from them, because based on your previous statements it's clear you have NO understanding of what you think you do. It really doesn't matter what they "want" unless they are going to guarantee my safety from threatening and violent people such as you and your BF.

It took everything to keep from laughing, but staying serious. I didn't talk much at all during this. Her boyfriend comes back from the bathroom and she says to him something about her cigarettes.

She turned back to me and says one more thing, "Well, you're gonna need that real soon when China comes to **** us up." If you believe that, then so will you.

... Alright then.

Now I've ordered my drink and I'm standing aside waiting for it. She's pounding the counter and telling the staff to hurry it up, she's spilling the coffee they give her saying it doesn't have enough sugar, etc etc. Just completely unhinged. I meet eyes with some customers (now a line of 5) behind her and they're shaking their head.

I get my drink and walk out.

So, lessons to be learned from this encounter: Don't let someone that could possibly be bat**** crazy stand that close to me.

My responses in BOLD, however stated in a more friendly manner than can really be put in written text.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    1. I never open carry w/o my Dr. Dentons and my Pillow Pet.

2. Next time, don't wear any pants. No one will notice the OC.
    3. "No, I'm not a cop, just a security guard."
    4. "I always wanted 2B a cowboy."

5. JetGirl, that's the definition of "too clever by half."

Last edited:

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Ask for manager,Explain your loyalty to the biz,that you are uncomfortable with situation
    bc she could cause a confrontation like someone
    else said with boyfriend
    have manager tell her to
    shut her trap or leave.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Dude you have the worst luck with guns and the public.

Altogether, over years of carrying... I'd say the positive still far outweighs these negatives.

With actual civilians, this is maybe one of a very small handful.

With officers, again... maybe just a couple.

The rest have been pretty positive :)

I thought the same at first. Then I realized I've had numerous interactions as well. I haven't had one with a civilian that was THAT irrational though from OC.

I've gotten the "why do you need that" response before. I enjoy these interactions though because if I have the time to do so, I'd say about 99% of these instances end up with the person's mind being opened up and even setting up a time to get people out to shoot or train. Assuming I have adequate time to communicate key points in the discussion, I have met relatively FEW people who I could not either convert entirely or at least open their mind up enough to be accepting of others' choices.

That is not THE reason I OC most of the time, but that is an added bonus for me and my psychological research/studies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    "Kids like grabbing guns"

That's a signature worthy quote.

1st...the hello kitty outfit
    2nd...having anything at all to say about anything and expecting to be taken seriously
    3rd...reaching for my side arm

You handled that far better than I would have. +1 to you for being patient with the zoo animals.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    3. "No, I'm not a cop, just a security guard."

I'm thinking that, in the future when I can tell someone's about to go on an anti-gun diatribe... after they ask if I'm a "cop" like they usually do, I might just say "Security" to avoid the possible encounter.

I still don't get the JetGirl reference.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I thought the same at first. Then I realized I've had numerous interactions as well. I haven't had one with a civilian that was THAT irrational though from OC.

I've gotten the "why do you need that" response before. I enjoy these interactions though because if I have the time to do so, I'd say about 99% of these instances end up with the person's mind being opened up and even setting up a time to get people out to shoot or train. Assuming I have adequate time to communicate key points in the discussion, I have met relatively FEW people who I could not either convert entirely or at least open their mind up enough to be accepting of others' choices.

That is not THE reason I OC most of the time, but that is an added bonus for me and my psychological research/studies.

Definitely, and like mine, it's mostly been encounters of curiosity... not hostility. There was no opportunity to educate this girl. She knew her stance, and she had no intentions of backing off of it.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

There are plenty of parody threads around. Someone posts a story (generally factual) and then one or more others post threads from alternate points of view, usually injecting some humor or odd twist. Your story sounded rather strange, so I was wondering if it was a parody thread as well.

Unfortunately, this is much like sarcasm on INGO. Some insist on not using purple because they insist others have low IQ for not recognizing their obviously humorous intent. The parody threads can really catch people if they didn't read the original thread they are linked to.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Jet Girl means the eventual thread where I post a story about being in the same dunkin donuts watching this unfold
    or how I took my mentally challenged girlfriend for breakfast and while I was in the restroom there was some guy
    at the counter waiving his gun around and telling everyone in line this was 'merica and I do what I want.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Definitely, and like mine, it's mostly been encounters of curiosity... not hostility. There was no opportunity to educate this girl. She knew her stance, and she had no intentions of backing off of it.
    It's likely you simply "caught her" at one of those times/moments. I agree there are some which don't look past their predetermined beliefs to even consider facts to the opposite, but they are relatively few IME. I come across most of them on the internet, not in person and I specifically try to attract such people to my group endeavors, classes, etc. That's a challenge because most don't go LOOKING for debate, although they are receptive to learning.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There are plenty of parody threads around. Someone posts a story and then one (or more) others post threads from alternate point of views, usually injecting some humor or odd twist. Yours sounded rather strange, so I was wondering if it was a parody thread as well.

Unfortunately, this is much like sarcasm. Some insist on not using purple because they insist others have low IQ for not recognizing their obviously humorous intent. The parody threads can really catch people if they didn't read the original thread they are linked to.

Gotcha. I did realize how humorous the "A kid could take it" line was... since I see that around here all the time.

Nah, real encounter. No spoof here. :)

Jet Girl means the eventual thread where I post a story about being in the same dunkin donuts watching this unfold
    or how I took my mentally challenged girlfriend for breakfast and while I was in the restroom there was some guy
    at the counter waiving his gun around and telling everyone in line this was 'merica and I do what I want.

Haha, I look forward to that one, then... because "mentally challenged" seems to fit the description.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Gotcha. I did realize how humorous the "A kid could take it" line was... since I see that around here all the time.

The Hello Kitty pajamas and her entire diatribe sounded like a parody.

Many of us don't get JGs references. You just have to ask yourself...
    Do you really want to anger a monkey with a .45? Not me.
    You just kinda smile and say "Gosh, isn't she cute?"

The real question is: Was she wearing "Hello Kitty" PJs at the time? Dunkins Donuts does make good coffee.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Top Bottom