• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Unfortunatley, my water heater and my air conditioner both went out at the same time a few weeks ago. They have both since been replaced and I now have a broken water heater and a broken air conditioner sitting in my garage. I was told that I could put it out on the curb and the junk collectors would come take it to sell it. I then thought, if they can sell it then so can I. Does anyone know of any scrap metal yards in Indianapolis that I could take these items to and possibly make a few bucks off of them? I know there have been a lot of problems with scrap metal thieves so do they even take these items anymore? Thanks in advance for anyone who can offer advice. :ingo:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I suggest just typing "Indiana scrap metal" into a search engine and go from there...I did it and numerous things popped up.

There is one is South Bend, you can give them a call and find out more details if you wish:

Indiana Scrap Metal Recycler 2920 West Sample Street
    South Bend, IN 46619
    574-287-5555 phone
    574-233-4444 fax
    Duffy Suseland

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I don't know about Indy, but I know there is Phillips in Anderson, Azimow & Culbertson in Alexandria. There's one up in Hartford City as well, that's where we've taken alot of our scrap since the Omnisource in Marion closed. I also believe there is one in Kokomo somewhere.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    There is a scrap yard on Kentucky avenue I don't remember the name of it they will take them. Also There Gardners in pendleton will take them.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    almost any junk yard or scrap yard will take it, and pay you some kind of generic scrap value for it.

OR make a grill out of the water heater. The tanks in the hot water heaters are usually pretty thick metal and make great BBQ grills. ;)

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    There are several in Indy. On the water heater there is not much value other than the small amt. of copper, you can strip the copper off of it, and throw the rest away. I'm surprised the installer of the A/C didn't ask you if he could have it. The value on the A/C is the coil, all steel needs to be removed, basically anything that a magnet won't stick to are the valuable parts. I was using Omi-source they are the ones under investigation, now I go to SW Industries 2024 Bluff Rd. 317.788.4221.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    If I were in your shoes, I would strip the copper fittings off of the water heater and put it out and hope it dissappears, then if you own a sawzall or can borrow one, cut the coil out of the A/C and any copper, then put it out and hope it dissappears. As far as what they pay for steel, it's pennies per ton that is why a lot of the scrap metal people have an entire pick-up full of old appliances. I only sell precious metals, copper, brass, stainless steel, aluminum (not sure that is spelled correctly). Even with those it's almost not worth doing unless you can accumulate a lot of it, in my line of work, I come accross my fair share.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    You may actually have to pay to dispose of the AC unit if it still has refrigerant that has not been reclaimed or fizzed out into the atmosphere, some places I've seen charge $150 to dispose of old items of refrigeration.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    If you "Accidentally" find that old ac unit out in the country and "Accidentally" use it as a target. It would be already "fizzed out into the atmosphere"

As A Disclaimer. I do NOT recommend that!!:):

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If the refrigerant hasn't been reclaimed - call the installers and tell them to get back out there and do their job. If you clean the copper (take off the fins) you will make more money...

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Take the copper out of them both, and take it all in. Most of the AC housing is prob aluminum, so you can get some for that along with all the copper. And the water heater, I'd almost think it'd be tempting to set it up as emergency water storage somewhere, and just rotate out the water every so often to keep it fresh. That way if SHTF and you are staying home, you have some water to last on for at least a little while.

Top Bottom