• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brown

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    This past weekend I took part in our local scout group qualifying for their rifle merit badge. For those of you like me in advanced years and been a while since you did this they have to put 5 shots on target that can be covered or touch a quarter. Then repeat 4 more times. Distance of 50 feet. Not an easy task considering most of the boys had never held a gun before.Also included gun safety, handling, identification of parts,and cleaning.

By the end of Saturday all 10 had qualified and after that the adults brought out the fun toys. It did take a lot longer than we thought but it was a great day in the sun, warm weather, and a chance for these boys to experience something new to some of them.

Most of the boys at least had the chance to hold and shoot some centerfire rifles and i was pretty impressed with some of them that tried the larger guns even though they had never fired even a .22 before.

Great time overall and 10 boys were exposed to the world of firearms. hopefully they were all excited enough to continue learning more.

johnb62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Oct 15, 2008
    Evansville Area
    That is great. One of the highlights of taking our troop to summer camps was being able to be a part of many boys first exposure to firearms. The firearms instructor at Old Ben was always top notch. He was a stickler for safety and would not let anybody get away with anything.

Brown

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Ages ranged from 11-16. The most fun was seeing the pride they had from the first round of shots going everywhere to the final rounds with good tight groups for their experience level. Of course it was also fun seeing their eyes when they shot the AR after a .22:n00b::ar15:

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    Absolutely AWESOME.

I'm 26, grew up in the northwest indiana suburbs, and boy scouts was my first exposure to firearms.

Definite +1

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    were you at camp Betz?
    We were there a number of years ago and I embarassed the heck out of my son by very enthusiastically being the first to volunteer to shoot a (semi-auto) tommy gun.
    We had lots of fun, but he was kind of upset that they couldn't shoot the handguns; that was for explorers only.

Top Bottom