• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    And you trust any panel of the Indiana Court of Appeals not to invent one from whole cloth?

An exemption for LTCH holders should be a priority that way none of us has to become a test case.

Avoidance is better than any fight.

I agree! That is why I will be writing a letter to my state reps and push for change. If the November elections go our way, we just might have a slim chance...

Mark

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    And what if I got there first thing in the morning and then the school buses only lined up outside at mid-day while I was still there?

I'm also just a little bit insulted that you would say I was carrying it in my handbag. I have a Blackhawk Serpa precisely so I don't have to carry it in my purse. :)

Also, I assume we're talking about a fictional Indianapolis Zoo that is not a private entity or which is a private entity with no policy regarding the carrying of weapons by the public.

Ooo! There's an interesting poser. Could a government owned/run zoo adopt a policy that whenever any school group is on the premises, the whole property becomes deemed to be used for a school function, under 35-47-9-2(2), when that would run afoul of 35-47-11.1-2(2)?

Jury of the court do not let CIB pertty avatar distract you from what she has done.

Any reasonable person would know that M-F duirng the school year our lovely award winning Indianapolis zoo is visited by countless school children. CIB knew this but still considered herself above the law.

We could go on an on if you like. ;)

As for the holster vs handgun. Well that's just not ladylike now is it. :laugh:;)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If the November elections go our way, we just might have a slim chance...

The current composition of the General Assembly is solidly pro-gun. I do not foresee any change in that.

Our problem is one of priorities. Only so much time for the entire agenda.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    The current composition of the General Assembly is solidly pro-gun. I do not foresee any change in that.

Our problem is one of priorities. Only so much time for the entire agenda.

That is why we need to push thus as a priority...now that right to work is out of the way, they should be able to focus on this BIG issue...

Mark

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've been looking for a raw dump of school property GIS data. I want to make a Google Maps mashup that shows just how bad a 1000' boundary could be. Anyone have any tips about where to find such data? The last time I entertained the idea I concluded I was going to either have to fork out some $$$ or call a bunch of bureaucrats.

Why are you concerned with a 1000' radius?

With an IN LTCH, you're perfectly legal to walk right up to the edge of school property.

-J-

jevin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    Why are you concerned with a 1000' radius?

With an IN LTCH, you're perfectly legal to walk right up to the edge of school property.

-J-

I know, and I do indeed have a LTCH. I just think the GFSZA is an unconstitutional atrocity and I would like to illustrate how oppressive it can be.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    I was able to find the map I wanted on the Hamilton County .gov site! Unfortunately, it is all school property...but the neighborhood across the road does not look like too bad of an option on a Google satellite map.

But still wondering if anyone has requested and received approval to carry on school property anywhere...

Mark

BaseDeltaZero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    South Bend
    I too am in the same boat. My sons are in a soccer club but they use school grounds. I can carry as long as I am in my car picking up/dropping off but I can't leave it in my car secured and go help during practice and games correct.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I too am in the same boat. My sons are in a soccer club but they use school grounds. I can carry as long as I am in my car picking up/dropping off but I can't leave it in my car secured and go help during practice and games correct.
    If the parking is also on school property then that is correct. Also you must be the driver and not just a passenger and you cannot leave the vehicle while carrying when picking up and dropping off.

BaseDeltaZero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    South Bend
    As long as you stay in the vehicle you are fine.
    Jacked from The High Road: In Indiana permit holders may pick up and drop off at a school while carrying. Same goes for long guns by anyone not prohibited from owning firearm. I can find nothing in our law that allows anything else. IOW, no locking the weapon in the car to go inside or to park in the lot. Federal law does allow locking the firearm in the car, if I'm reading it correctly. This is one place where I wish there were more clarification in Indiana law. The advice I got from a lawyer (wrote the book on Indiana gun laws) was "Don't do it." (leave the firearm locked in the car).

At the top of the thread there is the federal law also.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    so can i carry when i drop my kid off at school .... just letting him get out of vehicle>? im curious
    long coat is correct. Here is the actual IC to answer your question. (specifically subsection 3)

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

:facepalm: I said lady like NOT girl. There **is** a difference u know. =P

long coat is correct. Here is the actual IC to answer your question. (specifically subsection 3)

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.

Note that excemption is only for MOTOR VEHICLE. So you can ride your horse and buggy to school with your kid, no bicycle either!

Top Bottom