• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    New LTCH'er here. Took my kid to soccer camp at the school tonight. Since I was planning on just sitting in the car and waiting during camp I thought I was ok to carry. Then of course an IMPD officer pulls up behind me and drops off his kid and I'm second guessing myself on whether I was legal to carry in the car. So I madly start searching here via the phone and googling everything I could but really was only finding this particular recent legislation (Indiana Code 2015 - Indiana General Assembly, 2016 Session ) and it was only speaking about locking the gun out of site in the vehicle. And BTW, while searching via mobile for 'school' there are far too many results to make heads or tails of - at least to me.

So after freaking out for several minutes I finally decided it was a great time to go to the gas station to get a soft drink and move the gun to the trunk for the rest of soccer camp.

So question for you guys, was my original understanding of me being legal to carry as long as I never left my car even while parked on school property correct? Or am what I'm reading in the above legislation correct in that on school property it has to be locked out of site?

Would love your thoughts as camp goes on the rest of the week.

thanks

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    You're good.
    When leaving your car, remove your pistol and holster, place them in your glovebox/safe/center console/trunk. And lock things up.

At least that's my understanding.

Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    Thanks guys. Weeks of research and reading while waiting on the LTCH to arrive and freak out on one of the first times out the door...newb I guess.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No worries. Freaking out is normal thanks to our patchwork of not always sensible gun laws.

Before the recent adjustment that allowed for the stashing in the glove box, the law was written so ONLY the driver could be in posession, and he couldnt get out of the car. (you could drop/get the kid, but you couldnt exit the vehicle to assist) If you were a passenger, you were illegal even if you didnt get out of the car. Kinda screwed if both parents carry. Thank God they fixed that nightmare.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Thanks guys. Weeks of research and reading while waiting on the LTCH to arrive and freak out on one of the first times out the door...newb I guess.

All is well. We were all newbs once, to the point that we have an emoticon for it: [noparse] :n00b: [/noparse] = :n00b:.
    Good on you for taking the time to research before and while carrying.

:welcome: to :ingo:! :wavey:

Blessings,
    Bill

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Saw someone mentioned "When leaving your car, remove your pistol and holster, place them in your ...........trunk"

Please correct me if I'm wrong but if I read the law correctly he'd better have it in the trunk PRIOR to getting to school property (which it seem like he did). He's not allowed out of the vehicle with his weapon (even to put it into the trunk).

Welcome Swom!

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Saw someone mentioned "When leaving your car, remove your pistol and holster, place them in your ...........trunk"

Please correct me if I'm wrong but if I read the law correctly he'd better have it in the trunk PRIOR to getting to school property (which it seem like he did). He's not allowed out of the vehicle with his weapon (even to put it into the trunk).

Welcome Swom!

If you open the door and climb out onto the roof, you can probably get away with getting to the trunk without stepping on the ground. :rolleyes:

I thought of a similar problem when I stopped for gas while driving through Chicago. I can carry in the car but need to secure my guns when leaving the vehicle. I figure that if I'm consistently touching my car as I'm walking around it and pumping gas, then I'm still complying with their idiotic laws.

While this all might be some "Gray" zone in court, I could really care less. It's good enough for who it's for.

Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    If you open the door and climb out onto the roof, you can probably get away with getting to the trunk without stepping on the ground. :rolleyes:

Maybe will try climbing through the sunroof and shimmy across the roof and toss it in the opened trunk. Ha!

I'll definitely be making sure I've got it secured away somewhere but on my person before the season starts and I forget walk from parking lot onto playing fields. That would not be good.

thanks all

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    I think they're just trying to insure that someone doesn't step outside of their vehicle while the buses are rolling in and kids everywhere and say "Excuse me while I whip this out!" and then walk to the trunk with it in plain view.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

It is OK, 30 years from now, YOU will be the "old hand", talking to the noobs .....

Time really does fly, when you're having fun .....

Top Bottom