• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    OK INGOers, tell me what you know about this area. Would you consider living there? Why or why not? The good, the bad, the ugly.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    No. Why? Because it's in Michigan. Born and raised there. Not going back (other than to visit), unless I have to.

Too many of their laws (and general culture) are just counter to the way I live (especially with respect to defensive issues). The state's politics have been dominated by Detroit (liberal) for far too long.

(Comments are at state level, not the St. Jo/Benton Harbor area specifically.)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I would consider living in St. Joseph or anywhere outside Benton Harbor and St. Joseph. I am originally from SW Michigan, a few miles further east (Edwardsburg). Benton Harbor, in the town itself, has some depressed, run-down areas. St. Joseph is very nice. The countryside outside either of them is great, but I am prone to wax poetic about the beauty of a West Michigan countryside. I have considered living in the area, but for now, my work keeps me in Da Region. St. Joseph, especially closer to the lake, is quite pricey, as is every nice community on the shore from New Buffalo to Muskegon.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    My folks live in Kalamazoo, my grandmother still lives in Bangor. I'd go St. Joseph or even South Haven or Paw Paw over Benton Harbor if I had my choice. Out in the country a bit away from Benton Harbor would be fine. There is some beautiful country up in Michigan.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Over the Memorial Day Weekend I took a bike trip up to Michigan Coast and got lost in Benton Harbor, scary. Some very depressed areas. Of course this is based on 30 minutes of riding around the area.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    If you are looking to work in the area, live in Edwardsburg or Buchanan and commute. As has been said, St. Joe is nice and pricey, BH is a ghetto.

I can't think of anywhere I have ever been where simply driving across a small bridge yields such economic and racial differences.:dunno:

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    If you are looking to work in the area, live in Edwardsburg or Buchanan and commute. As has been said, St. Joe is nice and pricey, BH is a ghetto.

I can't think of anywhere I have ever been where simply driving across a small bridge yields such economic and racial differences.:dunno:

I saw something about this -- there's a book that touches on the unusual divide that seems to exist in this area. Thank you.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I grew up in St Joseph, MI and worked in the area for many years. Saint Joseph is a beach town in the summer and really quiet in the winter. The beach is packed this time of year, but the population goes down to only about 8,000 in the "off season." Cost of living is a little higher, but not terrible. The winters are not that much different than what Indy area has, just more snow and less ice. Temperatures are pretty comparable. Benton Harbor is definitely a different town than Saint Joseph. There have been some sizable improvements over the past few years with Whirlpool and other large organizations, but there is still a large population of welfare, homeless, and extremely low income. With that, like other cities, comes a crime element. The "ghetto" that others spoke of though is pretty limited in area. Violence and shootings are occasional, but they are almost always related to gangs or drugs. I would not hesitate moving back to Saint Joseph for any reason.

As others have stated, the countryside around that area is great as well. Look into Eau Claire, Coloma, and Stevensville as well. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. I spent the better part of 21 years there living, going to school, and working. I still have family there too.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I saw something about this -- there's a book that touches on the unusual divide that seems to exist in this area. Thank you.

It's weird. I live near a small town rural northern Indiana. For years, the town had one black family living in it, basically zero diversity. Well unless you count the various Anabaptists; we have Mennonites, Amish, German Baptists, Conservative Mennonites, etc. I guess that pretty diverse, but it's whiter than white.:laugh:

In southwestern Michigan, there are many small towns that have very diverse populations. I was always told that this was due the area being a major stop for the Underground Railroad.

Then you get to St Joe/BH, and it's like they never got the memo.:dunno:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Handgun registration?

Yep. See #7 here - MSP - Michigan's Concealed Pistol Law - FAQs

Applicable law - Michigan Legislature - Section 28.422

No fault car insurance in Michigan...

And yep. Your rates might be higher.

Both my and my wife's parents still live in MI (Bay City and Grand Rapids).

Other fun items - pepper spray is limited to 10% oc and 35 grams. MCL 750.224d (No tear gas or Mace.)

Michigan knife laws not as favorable as Indiana.

Michigan NFA exceptions (may or may not apply to you). I don't believe full autos are allowed in MI for example. MCL 750.224 (unless it was lawfully possessed before 1986)

More no carry places - sports arena/stadium, hospitals, church (and other places of worship) w/o permission of "presiding official", entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more. Some Michigan universities can pass ordinances against carry on campus (not just policies, not sure what the penalties are).

Shall inform. - MSP - Proper Conduct During Encounters with Police

According to the case law on the above, last I looked, informing the officer has to be just about the first thing out of your mouth or you risk being cited for failure to inform.

$120 ish for the carry license ($105 license, $15 ish for initial prints) which expires every 5 yrs (have to take a class too, not sure what those cost).

No gun signs have the force of law.

Can't carry a loaded long gun in your vehicle. (Thanks to the MI DNR.)

One of the nanny states of our region.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    As to the car insurance thing, rates will probably be higher. I have had the same Allstate agent since college (over 20 years) and he is in Michigan. Every time I make a change to my policies, he remarks how I am paying 1/3 to 1/2 what they would pay in Michigan. I just added my 16 year old son and he said he would have cost 3 to 4 times more in Michigan (and he ain't exactly cheap in Indiana).

...but that wouldn't keep me from moving back to the Great Mitten if I had the chance.

Last edited:

Ralphie Parker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2013
    Waterloo
    I did a little work in B.H. one winter in the late 90's. I remember the man on the news saying they had their 10th homicide on Jan. 10. It was NO place for this ole country boy...

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I grew up in Edwardsburg, just south east of St Joe/Benton Harlem. Very beautiful countryside. As previously said, St Joe is a very nice area. Beautiful beaches. Benton Harlem is called that for a reason. And no it's not because a lot of black people live their.
    My son and I went up to the airport their last summer for a military recreation of sorts. The convenience store just down the street made me glad I had my Glock on me.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I grew up in Edwardsburg, just south east of St Joe/Benton Harlem. Very beautiful countryside. As previously said, St Joe is a very nice area. Beautiful beaches. Benton Harlem is called that for a reason. And no it's not because a lot of black people live their.
    My son and I went up to the airport their last summer for a military recreation of sorts. The convenience store just down the street made me glad I had my Glock on me.

You grew up in Edwardsburg? We're kind of a small club. My parents still live there.

Top Bottom