• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Let me preface by saying I have never been deer hunting.

I have permission to hunt in private land that is in a deer reduction zone. This land is outside of city limits and shooting is not prohibited.

The DRZ season is open until Jan 31 2024. I have a DRZ license. Am I legal to take deer with a firearm even though normal firearm season has ended?

I am aware of the bag limits and that I must take a doe prior to taking a buck. I am also aware I must have a license for each deer taken and can only take one buck.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    The Regulation Book is a handy tool sometimes....

In addition to statewide bag limits, deer reduction zones give hunters opportunities to harvest deer in areas with high deer densities.

The deer reduction zone season is Sept. 15, 2023 through Jan. 31, 2024. The bag limit for the reduction zones is 10 deer, of which only one can be antlered. Individuals hunting in a designated reduction zone who are attempting to satisfy the reduction zone bag limit must harvest an antlerless deer before harvesting an antlered deer (aka earn-a-buck). The earn-a-buck requirement only applies to the reduction zone bag limit. The reduction zone bag limit is in addition to all other bag limits (Deer Seasons, Licenses & Equipment).

Hunters attempting to satisfy the reduction zone bag limits must have a deer reduction zone, resident youth hunt/trap, lifetime comprehensive hunting, or lifetime comprehensive hunting/fishing license, or meet a license exemption. The license bundle is not valid when working toward the reduction zone bag limit. A valid license is required for each deer taken.

The season does not override any local ordinances restricting shooting of firearms and bows.

Where allowed by local ordinances, archery equipment legal for deer hunting can be used in reduction zones from Sept. 15, 2023 to Jan. 31, 2024.

Where allowed by local ordinances, firearms legal for deer hunting can be used in reduction zones from Nov. 18, 2023 to Jan. 31, 2024.

From Nov. 18, 2023 to Jan. 31, 2024, hunters must follow hunter orange clothing requirements to hunt deer with a firearm in a reduction zone. Hunters must obtain permission from landowners to hunt on private property.

Certain restrictions apply regarding deer reduction zone licenses on DNR-managed properties. Please contact the property you plan to hunt for more information.

Deer reduction zones may be altered annually at the DNR director’s discretion based on deer population management needs. Please visit deer.dnr.IN.gov to see a current map and zone descriptions.

Deer Reduction Zone CheckIN​

Hunters must ensure deer harvested within a deer reduction zone are checked in correctly. DNR uses these responses and corresponding harvest numbers to determine the effectiveness of these zones. In counties with a deer reduction zone, hunters are required to report in CheckIN Game whether the deer was harvested in a deer reduction zone. If so, hunters are then required to report whether they want that deer to count toward the deer reduction zone bag limit. Hunters using reduction zones to harvest a second buck or to fulfill the deer reduction zone antlerless bag limit must ensure that their deer are counted toward the zone bag limit. Hunters who hunt in an area inside the deer reduction zone but are not interested in counting deer toward the zone bag limit or who are not using a license valid in a deer reduction zone should select that the deer will not count toward the reduction zone bag limit.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Thanks!

I’ve read through that, but somehow missed this paragraph:

“Where allowed by local ordinances, firearms legal for deer hunting can be used in reduction zones from Nov. 18, 2023 to Jan. 31, 2024.”

I also missed where the deer bundle license covers everything EXCEPT the DRZ. :facepalm:

Yes, I learned that AFTER I paid for the bundle.

Top Bottom