• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    I've started to get a hard on for a 10mm gun, but what's out there in this caliber other than a Glock 20/29 are there other decent options out there? And what are some pluses and minuses about the round in general?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I don't own a 10mm, but I'd love to get one., I've been looking into as well.
    Pros - cool factor, some serious power with the right loads
    cons - cost (somewhat negated if you reload)... still much more pricey than .40 or .45 though

the 10mm is also popular in 1911 frames, that plus the Glocks are the only ones I've looked at.

With a full power load, the 10mm is pretty potent, and with 15 rds in a Glock 20, that's some decent backwoods medicine for wolf/small bear in the west!

Another cool thing with the Glock 20 is that you can get a replacement barrel and shoot 9x25 (think of how a 357Sig is necked down .40, well, you can do the same with a 10mm case necked down and it's called 9x25 Dillon) Now that is some serious 357 Mag power in a semiauto.
    9x25 dillion - Glock Talk

The price is the biggest downside. Also, if you think you will end up shooting lighter loads, then there's little advantage over the .40 s&W. I think the 10mm shines when loaded to (safe) capacity.

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    The Glock 20 and, 29 are probably "the" option for most. You can find S&W 1006s and, 1076s; as well as the S&W 610 and 310NG revolvers. There are quite a few 1911s chambered in 10MM as well. Generally, the others will cost more than a Glock unless find a deal.

ETA: EAA also has some 10MM offerings as well.

The 10MMs biggest selling point is versatility. 1000 fps.-1500. With bullet weights from 135gr.-220gr. The downside for the cartridge, is the lack of choices for factory loaded ammunition. But, there is ammo out there and, if you are a reloader or, have an interest in starting 10MM is a good excuse.

Check out Underwood Ammunition for "real" 10MM.

Underwood Ammo - 10mm Auto

Last edited:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The price is the biggest downside. Also, if you think you will end up shooting lighter loads, then there's little advantage over the .40 s&W. I think the 10mm shines when loaded to (safe) capacity.

^^^^^^^^^
    This right here. If you shoot common 10mm you are just shooting a .40. You have to either reload or buy full power loads. Full power loads are hard if not impossible to find in stores, so you turn to the internet.

Love my Glock 29, but to get the most out of it got to go with expensive hard to find full power loads.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The only minus is that you can't buy it at Walmart, and those who think that's a minus don't count.

The plus is that you have a magnum powered round in an autoloader package. Moreover it has the widest range of power loadings in an autoloader package, you can load down to very soft shooting at 400 ft-lbs energy up to over 800+. You can load extremely fast light weight rounds to very heavy deep penetrating solids.

As far as the Glocks are concerned, you can buy .40S&W drop in barrels from LoneWolf (and other caliber conversions) and have the ammo flexibility for very cheap (for those who just have to buy their ammo at Walmart).

You can see the growth of my 10mm family in this thread:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/162569-my_happy_10mm_family.html

OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    I miss the G29 I sold. It was hard to find ammo for it. I hate ordering off the Internet. No patience in waiting for snail mail. I want it NOW.

10mm is a good reason to get into reloading.

I do see a 10mm 1911 in my future.

TJSaltdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    I just traded my EAA Witness 10mm not long ago. I wish I still had it. Down side, if you dont reload then it gets very expensive. Do some research on how the 10mm came into existence. If it wasnt for the 10 then we wouldnt have the 40. A lot folks dont like the 40, they say its a wasted caliber. What ever that means.

randygun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    10mm

if you read the history on 10mm alot out there the frame broke so glocks have held togeather and the smith model 610. have 2 glocks 10 mm and collecting more 10 mm this year.one each month i am gun nut and have the money

TJSaltdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    if you read the history on 10mm alot out there the frame broke so glocks have held togeather and the smith model 610. have 2 glocks 10 mm and collecting more 10 mm this year.one each month i am gun nut and have the money

Very true randy. When I was buying the 10mm I came across the EAA Witness and researched it. When it was first made they had problems with frames breaking and barrels warping but they have since corrected it so I bought one. I let my wife shoot the EAA SAR K2P9mm and loved it. She then shot the EAA 10mm and hated the recoil. She literally slapped me because it hurt her hands.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    One of the lesser known things about 10MM is it's potential in longer carbine barrels.

More so then any other cartridge, the FPS bump is greater.

I have seen some 10MM loads exceed 2000FPS out of a 16" carbine barrel.

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    I too am getting the 10mm bug... but in a different way... i am in the process of getting a mp5k clone in 10mm (then replacing all the internals to HK parts) :D
    But when i do get my 10mm handgun it will be either a RIA 10mm tactical with the full rail and thick grips, or something like a Witness Elite Match or Hunter. The Glock 20sf/gen 4 would be good too.... but i would need to shoot one first, since i dont normally like the grip angle of a glock.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I too am getting the 10mm bug... but in a different way... i am in the process of getting a mp5k clone in 10mm (then replacing all the internals to HK parts) :D
    But when i do get my 10mm handgun it will be either a RIA 10mm tactical with the full rail and thick grips, or something like a Witness Elite Match or Hunter. The Glock 20sf/gen 4 would be good too.... but i would need to shoot one first, since i dont normally like the grip angle of a glock.

The FBI had some 10MM MP5s, the problem is that internal parts need to be swapped out when you go from high power 10MM loads to the watered down 10MM loads

Thereon defense has a 10MM carbine that works with all loads, and takes Glock mags

Thureon Defense "GA" Basic Carbine | Thureon Defense

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    The FBI had some 10MM MP5s, the problem is that internal parts need to be swapped out when you go from high power 10MM loads to the watered down 10MM loads

Thereon defense has a 10MM carbine that works with all loads, and takes Glock mags

Thureon Defense "GA" Basic Carbine | Thureon Defense

Trust me, the mp5k pistol (in my eyes) is way better than that carbine.... u need to change out a locking piece from a low to a high, depending on how potent the rounds are.... not too bad (and already allocated in my budget)... but again, I would much rather have this mp5k over that, especially since im getting it for the same price, minus the new internals im choosing to put in it.

Now i just need to find someone near me with a glock 20sf/gen4 and 10mm 1911 that I can try out to see which one i like better, if either of them.

BuckeyeBrad

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    THE Ville
    I bought a G29sf a little over a year ago when I got the 10mm bug. I bought it with the intention of getting into reloading. Life happened, funds dried up, and now it just sits in the safe. Like mentioned in previous posts, it's not a cheap round.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA. Nice. Seriously though....I want one.

Do you NEED one? No.

Do you WANT one? Apparently, and you get a :+1: for giving a correct answer! :yesway:
    AND, I'm gonna take my '2nd Amendment vote' and vote in FAVOR of you getting one.

Of course, if you're lady objects... :nono:

You're on your own! :runaway:

Top Bottom