• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    Bought a savage 17 hmr (said in previos thread)

Took it out last night, and did good at 50 yards, oblonged holes.
    Had my friend drive the truck (was in bed of truck cause the damn ground was cold). Gun wiggled around some, but no more then me driving to my favorite hunting spot.

Got back down, to 50 yards and i twas no where near close.

I'mma put another scope that i put on my 22 that i know holds well.

So what do you guys recommend. Anyone says a BSA sweet 17, I will start a committee to tar and feather you. Already tried it.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I'm almost willing to bet my left sack the scope is fine and it's teh mount thats bad. Either cheap made in China aluminum rings or something isnt tight enough or overtigtened and stripped.

What rings and mount are you using? How were they set up?

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I'm almost willing to bet my left sack the scope is fine and it's teh mount thats bad. Either cheap made in China aluminum rings or something isnt tight enough or overtigtened and stripped.

Wut he sed

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Heard mix reviews on those NC star scopes. You know those cheap Chinese ones that you see a million of at any gun show you go to. A Bushnell should also work good for rimfires too.

nova512

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    west side of indy
    i had a cheaper bsa scope on my 17 when i bought it absolute tack driver .then i put a leupold vx1 on it from my first ar15 and am not doing as good with it.go for the sweet 17 scope lol

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Mods please move to correct area of forums.

high_horse.jpg

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have a Bushnell Banner with Burris rings mounted on my Savage MKII. I have been very happy with the setup. It's way more accurate than I'm.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm cheap, and poor. BSA's have treated me well on .308, .223, and .22lr.. Maybe you got a junk one, there seems to be that going around. They seem to me hit and miss, quality-wise, (no pun intended), but people seem to like them or hate them. I guess I have had good luck with BSA, if I could budget for better I surely would.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

this.

i just bought a nitrex 3-15x42 for my 22lr and have done mabye 100-200 rds of testing and so far im pleased with the optic. especially for the price tag. ill be able to give a much better review after ive had it for a couple weeks

kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    I took one of the scopes off my 22s that i know was good. She's now holding about dime size groups at 100. The scope is a Konus, dont remember where i got it at.

I'm liking the furfield a lot. I just know who doesn't make the good brand of optics. I've never been much of an optic guy as i can keep a 10 inch group with a mil surp mosin with mil surp ammo at 200 yards.

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    I have a Bushnell Banner with Burris rings mounted on my Savage MKII. I have been very happy with the setup. It's way more accurate than I'm.

I have the same set up! Same gun, rings, scope. I am good out to 50yds so far. next range trip is 100yd try.

+1 for good rings, and the CLOSER you can get it to the barrell, the better. Without touching of course, that would be NG.

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    A friend of mine had a Savage .17 that corkscrewed really badly. You could sight it in at 50 then move out to 100 and it would be way off. Sight it in at 100 and at 50 it was barely on the paper. Something with the rifling and the extremely light bullet weight caused it to corkscrew it's way down the range. It may not be the scope at all.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have the same set up! Same gun, rings, scope. I am good out to 50yds so far. next range trip is 100yd try.

+1 for good rings, and the CLOSER you can get it to the barrel, the better. Without touching of course, that would be NG.

I have shot my best groups with Wolf Target Match. Something else I like to do when I can, is this. I'll take a 20 ounce water bottle that's half full and sit it on the 50 yard line. Then shoot the cap off without knocking the bottle over. One day I laid the bottle flat and shot right through the cap first shot. I also agree that good rings are key. I really like the Burris Rings. They where recommended by Steve at Acme Sports when I bought the scope.

Top Bottom