• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    The plan i am sending on to my state rep. and our Senators.

Critique, thoughts, ideas, opinions welcome....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

After watching devastation of communities and lives in my lifetime by deranged madmen with guns in “gun free zones”. Columbine (during the last failed Assault weapons ban) Virginia Tech, Aurora and most recently, Sandy Hook Elementary. As a father of school aged children, my heart bleeds for the families of the children and school staff killed in this latest tragedy and the community of Newtown.

I feel we all know that something MUST be done to better protect our most precious resource. Recently Mr. Lapeirre of the NRA suggested armed security at schools. Where this is a good beginning, I don’t think it goes far enough. To this end I will outline my, I am sure controversial, plan.

My plan is to allow any and all teachers, administrators or other staff to arm themselves.

1st only those staff that CHOOSE and volunteer to be armed will be.

2nd We pay for those that so choose to take part in this program to take intensive defensive shooting classes and crisis remediation classes.

3rd we pay those willing to be armed a small stipend on each paycheck for the “inconvenience of carrying a firearm”

4th we make sure those that armed will have their firearms loaded with “frangible” bullets.
    5th all firearms MUST be concealed at all times.

6th ONLY the “trained professional armed security” or director of the schools security program know who are the staff so armed.

7th signs posted at all entrances to school and school grounds that staff are armed and trained to repel, with deadly force, any and all who threaten the staff or students.

What this does is put doubt into the minds of any that would perpetuate violence upon our children or schools. No “unbalanced” student or other person(s) could “case” the school beforehand and target the too few armed security professional (s) at the beginning of the assault. Then leaving them free to reign terror and death upon the occupants of our schools.

This allows our teachers and staff to INSTANTLY respond, with deadly force if needed, to any and all threats to our precious children.

In the Sandy Hook tragedy, the principle and teachers stood with empty hands against a madman wielding firearms to save their precious charges, their pupils. THIS is a travesty that we do not allow our teachers to effectively protect our children as well as teach them.

Mrkeller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Greensburg
    Why not have security personnel that are dressed as teachers or even custodians? Someone that can blend in. Someone that if free to move around the school, better coverage.

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    Why not have security personnel that are dressed as teachers or even custodians? Someone that can blend in. Someone that if free to move around the school, better coverage.

I just dont think that goes far enough. Some schools are quite large.

I was debating this subject in a legal class i took (college student) with a couple antis in attendance. The topic was to "Discuss a moral or legal dillema you have". Mine was to carry or not to carry into GFZ's.

Antis point, "But we have armed security at the front desk at the main entrance." My point, "How far away is that security desk? How long would it take you, a young runner to run from there to here down those long corridors? 2-3 minutes? Now lets consider this is an older off duty police officer in full battle gear. We are 5 rooms from the rear entrance with 0 security,save a camera. When the shooting starts it wont take very long for the goblin to make to this room. What would YOU prefer to do, set, cower and PRAY that the security makes here in time to save your arse...or would you prefer one of your classmates draw out their legally concealed firearm, a firearm you previously had no clue was there, and make an attempt to END the killing IMMEDIATELY."

For the record...last day of class she drew me aside and asked if I could help her get started learning about guns and shooting. :rockwoot: Her point was "I am a single mother and live out in the country. If evil comes to visit us at home, i have no way to protect myself and my young son...Your compelling arguments have convinced me i MUST change that.:rockwoot:

Dave-O

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    New Albany
    This works, I don't care if is killers or theifs. I was getting cleaned out at both my home and business, Installed security cameras at both, costly investment but within 6 months I had been hit both places, I was able to print pics and show up OC ing a glock 30 at locations they would probably be know at offering a reward. I nailed both and have had no problems since. Thiefs are similar to killers they are theifs and killers but not stupid and word travels fast. They all hit places where they know they won't find resistance and have the upper hand. When was the last time a killer hit a gun store or police station ? Uncle Ted nailed it.

AJMD429

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    The saddest reflection on our society is NOT the crazed-killer (they have been around since the days of Adam) - IT IS THE FACT THAT SOME WOULD CONSIDER ARMING THE TEACHERS "CONTROVERSIAL"...

Geeesshh...

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Another thing that can be done is to make sure there is a plan how teachers that are unarmed to respond to a situation.

Most schools are fairly substantial in build. For instance, many walls are cinder block. Make sure doors are substantial also and allowed to be securely locked from the inside and there is a plan to put the children out of the line of fire from a door. One of the things that happened in CT is that some teachers stepped out in the hall to see what was going on. Not a good idea and they did that because it is something that is not expected and there was no plan to respond.

merotek

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    New Albany

With the ultimate goal being to deter, I would rather SEE armed personnel than THINK they are blended in.

Mrkeller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Greensburg
    With the ultimate goal being to deter, I would rather SEE armed personnel than THINK they are blended in.
    I agree, but you have parents that have sore butts over guns and would possibly pull their children out of a school that has armed guards. Which brings up another point. There should be mandatory firearms safety classes in all schools. I know when I was in middle school they had an officer come in and talk about hunter education and firearms.

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    Yanno, this is a GREAT point!

Why do we teach drivers education in schools?? Answer: so many teens were being kille din auto accidents.

Why do we teach sex education in Schools?? Answer: Because so many teens were getting pregnant.

Shouldnt stand to reason that we should be teaching firearms safety and basic marksmanship? what happened to marksmanship teams?

Stopper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    The plan is a waste of money and resources. How many children die in car accidents from drunk drivers every year?

So there's an armed guard in every school and teachers choose to be armed, the children are "protected". What's going to stop a potential killer from doing it in a grocery store, play place or during a black friday sale?

You can't legislate evil.

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    The plan is a waste of money and resources. How many children die in car accidents from drunk drivers every year?

So there's an armed guard in every school and teachers choose to be armed, the children are "protected". What's going to stop a potential killer from doing it in a grocery store, play place or during a black friday sale?

Grocery store or local parks i am not LEGISLATED to leave my gun at home!

So YOUR "plan/solution" is to do NOTHING, just keep the status quoe, simply leave the blinders on? Allow the one place that is a KNOWN gun free zone, a.k.a. soft target, a.k.a. violent criminal safe work zone, that holds hundreds or even THOUSANDS of children, remain totally unprotected??

Yeah, thats an inteligent solution.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    We have spent millions, if not billions, and have done extensive training on fire safety and prevention in our schools. Does it our kids deserve the same protection in cases os armed killers?

With the constant threat of terrorism I've got a feeling we haven't seen anything yet in our schools. This was the work of one mad man, imagine what a half dozen could do?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beslan_school_hostage_crisis

Mrkeller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Greensburg

Children die from different things every single day. I could probably spend half the day looking up stats. But that's not the topic at hand. Have you ever been to a walmart on black friday? Cops every where. Plus you have those of us that aren't afraid to carry. Isn't that why we can get LTCH's? To protect ourselves and our loved ones.

Top Bottom