• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    This is going to be a short series of threads about possible things to think about.The hope being a few will read them and decide they need a few preps.

Scenario #1 No power for 5 days.
    Sounds easy does it not?But what service will you lose for those 5 days?
    1.Running water. Those on a well lose it as soon as the pressure in there system dies,those on city water will have it possibly for a day or two until the tower runs out.So what do you have to take care of water for your family and pets?

2.Sanitation. With out water you can not flush a toilet. What will you be left with?

3.No electric stove would work.How could you cook for your family?

4.No electric heating/cooling. Could you keep your family warm for 5 days during an ice/snow storm?

5.Obviously no TV.This means no news. How could you get the news with no power?

6.Your refrigerator is done. How do you keep your food from going bad?

7.Cordless phones will not work,your cell tower is probably down to,and no way to charge your phone.How do you get the word out your family is ok?

8.Electric hot water heater does not work. If you can get water do you have a way to heat it to bath/cook?

9.No lights. What can you do in the dark?

10.No internet...how will you post on INGO?!!

11. Food. You can not make it out to go to the store,or you do not want to try. If it is winter it is more than likely not worth the risk due to roads.If it is summer,well everyone will be at the stores and some may not be to please when it is 100 degrees and they are hungry.

I am sure there are other things that I am missing.But this is not a scenario that is far fetched in any way.People lose power on a regular basis. The ice storms in Kentucky last year,thunderstorms here in Indiana,Rolling July blackouts.It happens. If you are prepared 5 days is nothing,and takes very little to prepare for.

1.Water. Have some bottled water on hand.A few cases will cost 10 dollars or so,but be priceless. Also if the power is out shut off your water heater(gas or electric) and hook a hose up to the drain valve.You would get on average 40 gallons from your water heater(let it cool a bit after you shut it off or you will get burned). Get a simple water filter.If it is a winter storm you may need to melt snow,in the summer gather rain water from your down spouts. Finding and having water is an immediate must.

2.Sanitation. There are several ways to deal with this.Personally I have gone with a portable toilet.You can get these at wally word for 45 dollars. As an alternative you can use a 5 gallon bucket(take a lid off one of your toilets). To make this more usable get a pack of sanitizer for 5 dollars(you add it to some water it is what portolets use).

3.Cooking. Have a propane stove.Even a small one burner one. Get the hose adapter so you can hook a 20lb tank to it.If the power fails get your grill tank and have a full Spare tank.There is also fire pits and many other ways.I am just covering some basics.

4.Heating/cooling. Well if it is summer and you have water this is not much of a concern. If it is winter you need some way to generate heat.A simple kerosene heater would work,but for 5 days you would need 25 gallons of fuel. If you have a fireplace or wood stove and fuel you are already ok. If you have no other option a small propane heater could be used,but I would only recommend them for one room,and do not try to keep it 70 perhaps 50 degrees with you wearing more clothing.All of these require ventilation.A good co2 detector should be added along with your smoke alarms(5 dollars at Menards or Lowes).

5.News. You need a radio. One with batteries work.But when the batteries die you have a nice paper weight. I found a wind up radio at K-mart in the camping section that works well,and only cost 14 dollars.

6.Refrigeration. If it is winter put things in a cooler and secure the lid with a tie strap.If it is summer your in for more problems. Use what you can quickly from the refrigerator. The freezer left shut should hold below 40 for up to 3 days. After that you need to eat it or lose it. If it is at all questionable to rather it is still "good" do not eat it.You do not need another problem adding to the ones you already have.

7.No phone. If you have a corded phone and the lines are still up you may get a connection.If you have a cell phone you can try it and see if the towers still have power(some I belive have back up generators now).This one you may just to have to let go of.Risking travel is out of the question if it is winter.In the summer if a large area is out of power then there will be no traffic lights,and quite a few panicked people.I would not go out unless I had to.Let friends and family know your plan to stay put for as long as possible.Having a plan in place your family/friends know about will calm nerves of those who may be trying to reach you.If you are ok,they will be ok.

8.No hot water. You can use your propane stove to heat small amounts to wash with.If it is summer set out water in dark containers(anything that will hold water and a black trash bag would work).In winter you are not taking a full bath.Warm some water and use a wash cloth.

9.No lights. This sounds simple,but is not always. Flashlights with batteries are great,but will not last that long.There are LED lanters that can run for a long time on a single battery.I also like the shake lights,and wind up flash lights.These are available at any sporting good store. I picked mine up at Gander Mountain for the shake light,and a jeep wind up one at wal-mart.Learn before hand what you can and cannot do with only flash lights.Plan things that are very hard for daylight hours(such as digging a hole and dumping your portapot).

10.No internet.:runaway: Yep this is going to be the biggest killer of them all.How will you post on INGO? Read the news? Well you wont,and you will be just fine with a few preps.When the power comes back on you can post on INGO about how easy it was instead of a horror story.

11.Food. You need easy to prepare items. Soup does not have to be heated.It is also cheap. Having a week of food for your family is a no brainer. I recomend at least a month worth,but prefer much much more.
    Easy to prepare,or no prep such as MRE.Things that do not need water are a plus.

Well that is it.How would you do?For around 200 dollars you could do well.Is it worth it for the peace of mind and being able to take care of yoruself and family?
    These are just some very basic ideas.Feel free to add input.
    :twocents:

Last edited:

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Living on a hog farm means we have to have power, period. The hogs need water. We have a couple generators ran by a tractor pto that powers the farm and house when power goes out. LOL I get the easy way out on this one.

LuckyBrush

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Delphi, Indiana
    Sounds like 1991 when we had a massive ice storm up here, and no power for 10 days. Gotta have a generator, and plenty of gas to run for several days. After that, all we have is a woodstove. We wont freeze, and can cook and boil/heat water from our natural stream, but thats about it. I know what alot of people would do: :runaway:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Good Post

I pretty much have everything covered but the refrigeration/freezer angle. I've got coolers but what I have found is that I lose my REMC more to summer storms than winter ice. I never know if the outage is going to be a couple of hours or a 2- 3 day stretch. So far, I've not committed to the generator back up based on high fuel costs. Boredom ( I like to be entertained) is my other nemesis ;)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Just 5 days I can do that in my sleep. We done 10 days back in what '91? We did not even have to leave the house for anything at all.

1.Running water. Those on a well lose it as soon as the pressure in there system dies,those on city water will have it possibly for a day or two until the tower runs out.So what do you have to take care of water for your family and pets?
    6 cases of .5L bottles of water, and a 100gl Water heater. We run on well water here in the sticks.

2.Sanitation. With out water you can not flush a toilet. What will you be left with?
    Sanitation, use some of your water to manually flush you toilet occasionally. And baby wipes to bath with. Burn your trash.
    Grill, camping stove, fire pit.

4.No electric heating/cooling. Could you keep your family warm for 5 days during an ice/snow storm?
    I have a generator for several reasons and this is one of those. Generator is also nice to keep your refrigerator cool, your well water system charged, etc... The important part is to use t sparingly cycle through the stuff you need done, not run everything at once. And every 6 hours shut it off and service the generator! This is an item that you can not afford to have die on you!

See #4.

See #4.

7.Cordless phones will not work,your cell tower is probably down to,and no way to charge your phone.How do you get the word out your family is ok?
    See #4.

8.Electric hot water heater does not work. If you can get water do you have a way to heat it to bath/cook?
    See #4. Notice a pattern here yet? The generator is VERY FREAKING IMPORTANT!

Candles, oil lanterns. They can also help heat a room.

Once again see#4!

11. Food. You can not make it out to go to the store,or you do not want to try. If it is winter it is more than likely not worth the risk due to roads.If it is summer,well everyone will be at the stores and some may not be to please when it is 100 degrees and they are hungry.
    I have enough food for my wife and I to have a selection for up to 90+ days. If I do have to go out that is why I have a big bad 4x4. That plus a snowmobile.

What is so hard about this... :D

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    BASEMENT STAPLES:
    A case of Sterno canned heat will warm up your food and provide some comfort.
    Just one of those liquid glow sticks can light up a room for up to eight hours (buy a bunch).
    Ten 1 gallon jugs and two cases of bottled water come in handy.
    Lots of canned food AND a manual can opener helps cure the munchies.
    One week's supply of medications will hopefully keep me going.
    A five gallon plastic bucket, a box of plastic trash can liners, an old toilet seat, and plenty of toilet paper makes for a happy camper.
    Knives, batteries, ammo, a few changes of clothes, flashlights, a deck of cards, some books, ..........etc.

During upstate New York winters, power outages were common and most people were prepared. It was nice without T.V.;)

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    This is going to be a short series of threads about possible things to think about.The hope being a few will read them and decide they need a few preps.

I'm in BFE so I have a private deep well. I have a generator and enough fuel for 10 days. If it comes down to it I do have a hand pump I need to assemble that can be used I just have to pull the pump out of the well.

Covered in #1

Gas BBQ with 2 20lb tanks and a weber with 100lbs of charcoal

Fireplace and enough wood to last me about 5 years.

Covered in #1 if I really need it also have several battery powered radios with plenty of batteries, I even have a battery TV but I doubt I would get more then maybe 1 channel.

If it is cold out no problem, if it is hot out I would make ice in the morning and evening while the generator is running to provide water for other things, 10 days fuel if I run it no-stop up to a month if I ration it 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening.

Parents live about 1200 ft away and if TSHTF my place is our meeting spot anyway.

Solar shower bags or heat over woodstove, bbq, or open fire pit in the back yard

Depends on who you are in the dark with....

That would suck!!!!!:noway:

3 months of canned goods for 10 people, enough LTS to last 6 months for 10 people at 2000 calories/pd each if ration can last even longer. Plus home canned fruits and veggies, a large garden and fruit trees.

I am sure there are other things that I am missing.But this is not a scenario that is far fetched in any way.People lose power on a regular basis. The ice storms in Kentucky last year,thunderstorms here in Indiana,Rolling July blackouts.It happens. If you are prepared 5 days is nothing,and takes very little to prepare for.

Some of us are better prepared then you might imagine. When I purchased my home 10 years ago I immediately wanted to make myself as self sufficent as possible, it does not cost much. I suggest you start with the basics.

Water,Food,Shelter in that order.

Water the human body will last 3 days without water.

Food surprisingly you can last up to 2 weeks with out food if you have water.

Shelter kind of self explanitory.

Of course all these things are worthless without a means and ability to protect it and those that need it, but i figured since this is a gun forum I didn't need to go there.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Since I live in the city , I've sadly been lured into a false sense of security , I've started on the food and water but have a long way to go .

Last winter I think we got 13" of snow at one time here (by the airport) and I went to Kroger to pick up a few things .

I got about 20' in the door and said screw it, you'd thought it was 78 all over again , people were acting crazy .

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

1.Running water.
    2 well system along with city water

See #1, also on septic system, no worry about sewer backups due to power grid down for lift stations.

Gas grill, 2 20lb tanks and 1 50lb tank

6500 Watt generator to run gas furnace, if natural gas is unavailable, heat pump, backup wood fireplace and in the process of making dual 55 gallon drum firebox for heating/cooking.

See #4

See #4, only running them long enough to maintain food from spoilage to save fuel.

See #4, if phone system is down, CB radio/GFMS radios

Gas water heater, backup firebox to heat water

See #4

INGO will wait on me, if MSG help is needed call nearest friend/relative with internet to relay help message.

Always have 2 week canned meat/vetables on hand

I also always have at least 20 gallons of water on hand in jugs, 2 Coleman lanterns, and camp stoves, numerous long run LED flashlights and always have 25 gallons of gas on hand along with fuel in 2 vehicles if I need to tap out of. Plus to many other things to mention.

Backup is the family/friends plan, they are scattered in at least 7 different sections of the state. Worse case scenario travel to closest un-affected one if possible, all family/friends have contingency plans for such events.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

Beau I know money is tight. Believe me I know. Most everyone north of Indy at least us in the rural areas can go at least 10 days with no power. Does it suck yup you bet. Can it be done on a budget yup you bet.

We do have some advantages to people who live in the larger towns who are on only a city sewage/ water system. Minus power they generally do not have a way to evacuate wastes in the city system.

Now believe it or not minus the purchase of a new vehicle/ snowmobile. By the end of the summer you can be at the same preparedness level or better. Want a generator. Now is the time to be looking people always sell them after the winter. You would be surprised how long you can operate a generator on just 10 gallons of gas. Plan when you need to run it to keep your basics good to go (food in the refrigerator/freezer, furnace for heat, water charged in your well system, etc...). Spend the summer squirreling away extra food. In 4 months you can have several weeks of food put back.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    This should be easy for anyone who reads this forum.

If you get a generator make sure it is large enough to run your furnace, fridge and sump pump if you have one.

Have directions laminated and on the generator, step by step so anyone can hook it up and run everything.

Keep lots of small bills. Credit card machines wont work, cash only for gas, kerosene, food etc.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Sailor brought up some real good points.

Just remember you do not have to run everything at once. It will be perfectly fine to run your furnace, or your refrigerator.

When sizing yourself up for a generator figure out what your largest load is going to be. When you purchase the generator this should be no more than 80% of the generator's capacity.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Water....find someone who gets bottled water (5gal) Chippawa or Indy Spring and buy 3-4 for $7 each ...no biggie

Food.... buy canned food everytime you go to the store, 5 cans each time for putting back, easier now then when everyone wants some!

Wood, oil, propane!!! Rule of thumb for wood and survival, "when you think you have enough, get 3xtimes that much!"

Simple medical supplies, 4x4s, triline fishing line, ETOH bottles, Iodine, knock off brand 1000 pak of motrin, and as much antibiotics as possible!

Solar power battery rechargers are $20, candles are good, forget the rest of that crap, even batteries are a bad plan!

This mug does it all....radio, tv audio, hand crank for LED light, emergency siren

Click pic or text for link............$50

AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, sidearm (G19), shotgun (870), HP (savage 10flp 308), small game (22lr ruger 10/22), then more AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO, AMMO
    Yeah, Yeah, I know, you can't find any, should have started sooner.

Everytime we go to walmart or dicks, I buy a 100pk of 7 1/2 shot 12g, and if they have it a battle pack of 22lr. or a 20 pk of .223/ .308 / .243,

Garden, Garden, Garden...........Smoker, Smoker, Smoker

For those who have a well click text or pic

betterpump.jpg

Hand Water Well Pumps - Deep & Shallow @ Survival Unlimited .com

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    If there were such a thing as OTC antibiotics, they'd be bought up and sold for more than .223 ammo these days with H1N1 out there...

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Is there such a thing as Over The Counter Antibiotics? Any suggestions?

I have horses and can tell you that if you read the bottles of vet antibiotics in a shtf situation they will work just as well as people stuff. This also applies to most vet supplies.

Let your imagination roam I can't go further into detail on a public forum. And most can be mail ordered or bought OTC at feed barns and places like rural king.

MarkR

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indianapolis - West Side
    In regards to a generator, any thoughts on the installed "stand-by" generators that run on Natural Gas? Seems like it could be the way to go, but in an extended power outage, how reliable is the Natural Gas?

Top Bottom