• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WWIIIDefender

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    So I just got back from CVS to get my bi-weekly money orders. I bartend so I work in mostly cash. I am a veteran so my bank is USAA. I usually get large sum money orders twice a month to send of to my bank.

This time not only did I have to have ID to give cash for a money order but they had to scan it. They said it was a new law that just went into effect and you can only get a maximum of 1000 for a money order per day. They also said that everyone will have to get there ID scaned in the future no matter were go to get the MO's from, and that the new law is to help Homeland Security fight terrorism. So now will every money order I purchase and were will pop up when a police decides to scan my liscense.

This is total BS does anyone now anything about it?

Last edited:

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    So I just got back from CVS to get my bi-weekly money orders. I bartend so I work in mostly cash. I am a veteran so my bank is USAA. I usually get large sum money orders twice a month to send of to my bank.

This time not only did I have to have ID to give cash for a money order but they had to scan it. They said it was a new law that just went into effect and you can only get a maximum of 1000 for a money order per day. They also said that everyone will have to get there ID scaned in the future no matter were they get the MO's from, and that the new law is to help Homeland Security fight terrorism. So now will every money order I purchase and were will pop up when a police decides to scan my liscense.

This is total BS does anyone now anything about it?

I bank with USAA as my primary bank as well. I have my car insurance through them as well as the only credit card i have (by choice, a small one). I either write them a personal check to pay the bills or i use the online payment tool they offer. I havce been doing business with them since 2004, no issues doing it that way, matter of fact, i prefer the online payment over writing a check:cool:

As for the ID scanning, yeah even Camp Atterbury has started using ID scanners randomly now

StarbaseSSD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2008
    Clarksville IN
    Have them quote chapter and verse, or take your business elsewhere. As of last week, Wal-Mart didn't ask for any ID when buying money orders in those quantities in southern IN.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I got several money orders from the post office yesterday, and they didnt ask for ID. I have to think that if it was a new law the USPS of all people would follow it more closely than a CVS.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    My google fu points to this is a cvs thing that started as long ago as 12/16/10. When I went to get my MOs for my license I didnt have to provide ID.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I just went and got a MO yesterday from the USPS, they didn't ask for anything. Sounds like CVS is not the place to do business with if your in need of one.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    A friend works in CVS Loss Control. I believe they are "using" this info to verify that a MO was created for a customer. They have had a lot of internal scams, where employees tried to get MOs, then monkey with the registers to "hide" the transaction.

But, yeah, get your money orders somewhere else. I"m sure CVS is just tossing your copied ID in the trash with your other personal info.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I just called my bank. The VP said that she is not aware of any new laws regarding money orders. She also said that if I wanted to come in there and buy multiple money orders for $1000 each, there would be no problem at all, and they have no intent/ability to scan anyone's ID. They have a $1000 per money order limit, but that's local policy, not law. She also said that it's very likely a CVS policy as opposed to any new "law". I've banked with USAA since 1980, just called them and they have no knowledge of any such law/requirement, in any state.

Glock18FA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    A friend works in CVS Loss Control. I believe they are "using" this info to verify that a MO was created for a customer. They have had a lot of internal scams, where employees tried to get MOs, then monkey with the registers to "hide" the transaction.

But, yeah, get your money orders somewhere else. I"m sure CVS is just tossing your copied ID in the trash with your other personal info.

I know what you did there, and I laughed.

Top Bottom