State of Boone
    I'll let you know how mine goes, it will be something this:

post-27494-0-21466600-1398132378_thumb.jpg

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I guess I am lost on this. I read the bill and it says it would allow short barreled shotguns and rifles. Says it would bring Indiana in line with federal law.
    I know people already have SBRs in Indiana . Please explain.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Has it been "put on his desk" yet? I presume all the BS with RFRA has put a lot of things on hold.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I guess I am lost on this. I read the bill and it says it would allow short barreled shotguns and rifles. Says it would bring Indiana in line with federal law.
    I know people already have SBRs in Indiana . Please explain.

Shotguns, not rifles. We don't have SBSs yet.

People in IN have SBRs, yes. An antiquated law forbids possession of SBS even with a federal tax stamp. That law, once SB 433 is official, will be a dead letter, repealed, allowing us to have SBS with proper federal paperwork.

Has it been "put on his desk" yet? I presume all the BS with RFRA has put a lot of things on hold.

The bill still needs to be signed by Lt Gov Ellspermann, Pres. Pro Tem of the Senate Long, and Speaker of the House Bosma, then it goes for Mr. Pence's signature.

As long as he does not actively veto it, it becomes law about a week after he receives it. (That is, even if he does not sign it, it becomes law at that point.)

Hope that helps!

Blessings,
    Bill

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This is the SBS statute that we shall have for the next few months (version b means post July 1, 2014):

IC 35-47-5-4.1 Version b
    Sawed-off shotgun
    Note: This version of section effective 7-1-2014. See also preceding version of this section, effective until 7-1-2014.
    Sec. 4.1. (a) A person who:
    (1) manufactures;
    (2) causes to be manufactured;
    (3) imports into Indiana;
    (4) keeps for sale;
    (5) offers or exposes for sale; or
    (6) gives, lends, or possesses;
    any sawed-off shotgun commits dealing in a sawed-off shotgun, a Level 6 felony.
    (b) The presence of a weapon referred to in subsection (a) in a motor vehicle (as defined under IC 9-13-2-105(a)) except for school buses and a vehicle operated in the transportation of passengers by a common carrier (as defined in IC 8-2.1-17-4) creates an inference that the weapon is in the possession of the persons occupying the motor vehicle. However, the inference does not apply to all the persons occupying the motor vehicle if the weapon is found upon, or under the control of, one (1) of the occupants. In addition, the inference does not apply to a duly licensed driver of a motor vehicle for hire who finds the weapon in the licensed driver's motor vehicle in the proper pursuit of the licensed driver's trade.
    (c) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting in the course of the officer's official duties or to a person who manufactures or imports for sale or sells a sawed-off shotgun to a law enforcement agency.

Top Bottom