• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoP

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    I've read the other posts on Ruger 10/22 and Savage Mk II .22LR rifles, so I'm not just coming into this blind. I know both have issues and both have positives and both are exactly what they are.

I also know that everybody likes to buy their guns at LGS, I do too, but I've got a $50 gift card to Dick's that is swaying me a little bit here.

Stopped in today to price the .22LR long guns and they wanted about $220 for the Ruger without a scope and had the Savage Mk II for like $180 with a cheapy (good enough for 22 plinking) scope on it. After a $50 gift card I really like the price on that Savage...

Tell me I'm crazy and I'll just go buy some ammo for my soon to be purchased AR.

:patriot:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Everyone needs a good .22 and there is nothing wrong with either of those rifles.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Both are good guns, and that's a heck of a deal on the Savage. Just bought one myself and paid more than that without a scope. I'd go for it! :yesway: And the $50 you're saving with the gift card will buy a lot more rounds of .22lr than .223/5.56! ;)

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    You're crazy..............

If you don't buy the Savage. Everybody oughta' have a .22lr bolt gun! Cheapo-no-name scope and all, it will probably shoot well right out of the box.

JoP

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    Thanks for the encouragement guys. Leaning toward the Savage..depending on how my trip to the gun shop to look at ARs goes anyhow...that will have an impact on the immediate needs I'm sure...hey look over there MagPul stuff...

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I've read the other posts on Ruger 10/22 and Savage Mk II .22LR rifles, so I'm not just coming into this blind. I know both have issues and both have positives and both are exactly what they are.

I also know that everybody likes to buy their guns at LGS, I do too, but I've got a $50 gift card to Dick's that is swaying me a little bit here.

Stopped in today to price the .22LR long guns and they wanted about $220 for the Ruger without a scope and had the Savage Mk II for like $180 with a cheapy (good enough for 22 plinking) scope on it. After a $50 gift card I really like the price on that Savage...

Tell me I'm crazy and I'll just go buy some ammo for my soon to be purchased AR.

Sounds like a fair deal to me.:yesway:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks for the encouragement guys. Leaning toward the Savage..depending on how my trip to the gun shop to look at ARs goes anyhow...that will have an impact on the immediate needs I'm sure...hey look over there MagPul stuff...
    :laugh: That's how I get just browsing my "Gun Stuff" bookmarks online. Oooh, they've got that ammo for how much??? Ooooh, a Nagant revolver! :):

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    I have two 10/22's (one standard and the other target). I also have a Savage MkII. Both are great shooters and reliable. I must confess, I shoot the Savage more and if the gun has the accutrigger, that is a knockout price.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    The accutrigger is considerably better than the basic trigger (in my opinion). A basic Savage is still okay, but the accutrigger is worth the extra cash. It is easy to recognize when you see it. Instead of a basic flat trigger, it has two parts:

sav22_accutrigger.jpg

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield

Can you please tell me the issues with a Savage MKII? I will be honest that I have not read anyone who isn't happy with their MKII other than someone who just doesn't like bolt action rifles. Mine has been 100% perfect using ammo that my semi-autos won't use. It is very accurate and very pleasant to shoot.

By the way, comparing the bolt action MKII to a semi-auto 10/22 is a stretch. On the other hand you really can't go wrong with either, although the 10/22 has been known to be a black hole for money due to the zillion available aftermarket parts.

JoP

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    It was definitely not the Accutrigger.

@indykid - probably poor word choice on my part. Both are inexpensive "off the shelf" guns. There are preference issues for different people. My biggest hang up is that I grew up shooting a Ruger Mk II pistol that my dad taught me to shoot (and is in my collection now). I'm breaking a bias more than overriding an issue with the gun.

Thanks for the good feedback from everybody. I've got to nail down an AR situation first, but pending cash reserves after that may be headed back up for the Savage.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Can you please tell me the issues with a Savage MKII?.

Not a ton of aftermarket support. Bolts are gritty to open and require quite a bit more force than some of its slightly more expensive counterparts. Crappy stock that doesnt give a great cheak weld and is hollow (sometimes they rattle).
    Not that the savage is a bad gun, its actually probably the best bang for the buck in its class, but nothing in that price range is ever going to be issue free.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Both will serve you well. I personally would lean towards the 10/22. I'm a firm believer that every shooter needs at least one. For some reason, I have a hard time warming up to Savage. I grew up shooting my dads old Remingtons, Rugers, Wichesters, etc....., and the Savage / Stevens stuff feels cheap to me. I know there is nothing wrong with them, but I would rather pay a little more for a CZ 452 or M77/22 when it comes to a 22 bolt action.

Billcurtis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Pike County

I just bought the Savage MK II, BV and it is by far the most accurite .22 rimfire rifle I have ever owned. I will include a link to a picture of mine with this note. Mine has a bull barrel, and accutrigger, and a laminate stock.
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/
    I bought mine at Daves Guns in Holland
    Bill...

nox

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    TX->IL->IN->MO->IN
    Just took this Saturday evening:

1 shot @ 100 yards with my Dick's bottom of the line MarkII. Regular barrel, regular trigger, basic scope, basic wood stock, cheap WalMart ammo. I'll never regret buying this rifle. Sucked waiting 20 minutes for a cold range to go and retrieve my target.
    208833_10101629947933208_969933082_n.jpg

Top Bottom