• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    I was recently given a Savage 99 chambered in .300 Savage that was my grandfather's. This rifle is in beautiful condition and as best as my dad can remember, only fired about 10 times. What I'm trying to find out is approximately how old it is. My dad can't remember when it was purchased. The best he can remember would be sometime in the mid to late 50's.

The serial number on this rifle is in the low 700,000's. I know that S/N 566,000 went to 1950. Does anyone else on here have any knowledge of Savage serial numbers, or have an old 99 that you know the purchase date on to use as a reference point? Savage wasn't any help on tracking this down since they were bought out several years ago.

Thanks

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I do remember that 1961 was serial number 1,000,000 but the serial number is not always accurate to date the gun.

There should be a letter and number on the lever boss with a circle around it. The lever boss is where the lever attaches to the frame. If you can get me that letter and numbers I think I can find out the real date of manufacture on it. It is hard to read so get on you glasses or a magnification lens to see it. I believe when hand fitted at the factory the assembler (the numbers on the lever boss) and the date )the letters where hand stamped with a die and punch. It is also a good way to see if it has been refinished as under magnification you should see a little bare metal where it was stamped.

I think 1956 or 1957 but like I said the real dating is the stamp on the boss not the serial number.

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    Ok, here's the fun part. I found the stamp, but when it was put on, it was only halfway put on. In other words, you can see the top, but not the bottom. The numbers look to be 9's or 8's. And the letter is either an E or F I believe. Sorry, that's not a lot to go on, but with only half a stamp, it's the best I can get you. Thanks!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The stamp half on is normal. This rifle was hand fitted and the stamp was the seal of approval of the craftsman. The numbers were one of the guys or maybe one of the benches in the shop. The stamp was a roll punch and I use a eye loop to see them.

This is off the top of my head (savage 99 fan and a wealth of worthless knowledge) but e would be 1953 and f 1954 and this sounds right with serial number range also. If 300 savage chamber that is a plus in value, Pre 1.000.000 without pressed in checkering is a plus and a Schnabel tipped forearm is a plus in these years. If it has an F around the 99 then it might be a featherlight version another plus n value. I think most likely you have the common 99 the EG . the 99EG in 300 is the deers worst enemy and some would go so far as to say it’s killed more deer than the Win 94.
    Savages new owners are pricks when it comes to older pre ownership guns. They hold a wealth of info in archives and could let that info out be they do not.

If you need more info let me know.

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    So, do you have any...even a rough...idea of what one of these is worth? Not that I would ever think of parting with it. Just curious.

Thanks

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Sight unseen it is hard to place a price but if it an EG99 in at least 90% pre 1.000.000 serial number in 300 savage. 600 to 800 dollars.

Savage 99 people are nuts for them. I like em but think there kind of ugly and prefer the Winchester 88. If you find one in 22 high power take the 800 and add about 100 %.

For what they are selling for today in this economy check gun broker. Look for closed sales that sold not asking price.

Top Bottom