• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    INGO. What is your opinion of the Saturn Vue? Found one at a below blue book price. It is the AWD 3.5ltr V6. If you have owned, serviced or sold them that would be great.
    A cheap runner capable of snow travel is all I need it to be.

Thanks in advance.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have a 4 cylinder 2 wheel drive Vue. I have had it for several years now and other then expected maintenance it has been a good point A to point B no frills ride. It sucks in the snow but I am sure the all wheel drive model would do much better.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I have a 4 cylinder 2 wheel drive Vue. I have had it for several years now and other then expected maintenance it has been a good point A to point B no frills ride. It sucks in the snow but I am sure the all wheel drive model would do much better.

Thanks good to know. Having my mechanic look at it tomorrow. Guy left the car with me overnight to do so. Hoping that is a good sign.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    have him check out the trans well. these have CVT transmissions and are notorious for failing. very expensive to replace if/when they do. just worth checking ,

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    They suck in the snow UNLESS it has the traction control button. Why? because the NON traction control models STILL have the traction control active 100% BUT YOU CANT TURN IT OFF. EVER! :facepalm:

One year we headed to the inlaws after a 8" snow like we got today. Their street wasnt plowed and we got stuck in the snow 50' from their drive because as soon as the wheels started to spin, they would cut out thanks to traction control. It wasnt so deep to bury us up to the frame, but we could have kept going had we been able to spin the wheels. (our inlaws made it in earlier using the same technique with their traction control off)

I loved mine up until the transmission broke at $120k miles resulting in a repair bill that would have nearly totaled the thing. ($5k repair since it uses some special almost shiftless transmission that uses bands instead of gears)

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Run, Forest, Run.
    The Saturns do not have interchangeable parts with other G.M. vehicles.
    It's things like the alternator plugs aren't the same, water pump bolt patterns are different, that kind of stuff.
    Parts will soon become hard to find and, therefore, expensive.
    That's why their value is listed as lower than other similar vehicles.

If you're still tempted, have your mechanic check on price and availability of a power brake booster, water pump, alternator, and ignition coils.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Had one as a rental in OR a few years back, couldn't tell you what the engine or trans were, and we didn't have any inclement weather, but it got us around fine. Got to see the Tillamook cheese factory :) I also found out OR is one of two states that won't let you pump your own gas, when I went to the gas station and some really creepy looking chick started approaching the vehicle.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Lots of misinformation in here. The 3.5 Saturn Vue uses the Honda 3.5 V6 and their 5spd auto. Decent enough vehicle, just ake sure all the services have been done. Timing belt, valve adjust and spark plugs are due between 95k and 105k miles. That's a pretty pricey service that will run close to a grand. Transmission issues with Honda trans are common on that generation as well. As long as the services are done and the trans shifts fen with no flares or TC shudder it should be fine.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    They suck in the snow UNLESS it has the traction control button. Why? because the NON traction control models STILL have the traction control active 100% BUT YOU CANT TURN IT OFF. EVER! :facepalm:

One year we headed to the inlaws after a 8" snow like we got today. Their street wasnt plowed and we got stuck in the snow 50' from their drive because as soon as the wheels started to spin, they would cut out thanks to traction control. It wasnt so deep to bury us up to the frame, but we could have kept going had we been able to spin the wheels. (our inlaws made it in earlier using the same technique with their traction control off)

I loved mine up until the transmission broke at $120k miles resulting in a repair bill that would have nearly totaled the thing. ($5k repair since it uses some special almost shiftless transmission that uses bands instead of gears)

Pull the fuse.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We have a 2005 Vue Redline. It is the 3.5L Honda engine/powertrain mentioned up-thread. Basically a Honda CRV underneath. 120,000+ miles on ours. Had a transmission issue, but a fluid flush/fill resolved it. It really isn't AWD, just FWD and "on demand" AWD. Not all that great in the snow. Mostly because the Redline has low-profile tires in an oddball size, and I can only find fair-weather tread patterns for it.

It has been the most trouble-free vehicle we have ever owned. To the point we HATE to get rid of it. It just keep buzzing along. I am seriously considering dropping a couple grand in maintenance (struts, all fluids, a bunch of squeaky suspension bushings, timing belt, etc....) into it, and driving it another 100K miles. But... my wife wants a Jeep, so we'll see.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Lots of misinformation in here. The 3.5 Saturn Vue uses the Honda 3.5 V6 and their 5spd auto. Decent enough vehicle, just ake sure all the services have been done. Timing belt, valve adjust and spark plugs are due between 95k and 105k miles. That's a pretty pricey service that will run close to a grand. Transmission issues with Honda trans are common on that generation as well. As long as the services are done and the trans shifts fen with no flares or TC shudder it should be fine.

Things seems to run fine. Heck we just got a 3 inch dusting of snow on top of the permalayer. I think I will go put a little gas in it see if there is a button or not. This one seems clean and solid. One owners allegedly, cross-members look pretty good as do all rubber boots on wheels. Maybe garage kept. All options work without issue.
    I will aks my mechanic about the trans. Edmunds report gives them a 4.5/5 for whatever that is worth (I have no idea).

Pull the fuse.

Brilliant!

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Ive had an 03 vue, v6 , awd. Running fwd only because of issues with the drive train, not a Saturn issue, bad mechanic issue.

Last winter I got out and around just fine. Never got stuck. Last week when we got 5" of snow, no plows down our street ever, I never got stuck.

Transmissions can be an issue, mine so far is fine. Good dependable little car.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    We have a 2005 Vue Redline. It is the 3.5L Honda engine/powertrain mentioned up-thread. Basically a Honda CRV underneath. 120,000+ miles on ours. Had a transmission issue, but a fluid flush/fill resolved it. It really isn't AWD, just FWD and "on demand" AWD. Not all that great in the snow. Mostly because the Redline has low-profile tires in an oddball size, and I can only find fair-weather tread patterns for it.

It has been the most trouble-free vehicle we have ever owned. To the point we HATE to get rid of it. It just keep buzzing along. I am seriously considering dropping a couple grand in maintenance (struts, all fluids, a bunch of squeaky suspension bushings, timing belt, etc....) into it, and driving it another 100K miles. But... my wife wants a Jeep, so we'll see.

Based on my experience, sell it now while it runs. I didnt get jack for it on trade after limping it to the dealer in 1st gear after the sticker shock at the transmission place.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    OK. I bought it. Mechanic gave it the green light. I will give a range report on it in a month. Man absolutely no rust on the body! ;)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    OK. I bought it. Mechanic gave it the green light. I will give a range report on it in a month. Man absolutely no rust on the body! ;)

Good. it's a predominantly plastic body vehicle.:): (As I recall only the hood and roof are steel)

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Cygnus, I hope either I'm wrong about the availability and cost of peripherals or yours last forever.
    May you be happy with your Saturn until it sings it's Swan Song. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom