• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Yesterday I had a conversation with a professional acquaintance that I have known for more than 20 years. He shared with me a story about property taxes and satellites.

He told me that he received a call from his local government office where they began making specific inquiries about things deep inside his private property. He owns 40-50 wooded acres. They were asking about "improvements."

They first asked him about a "driveway" that they could see using GPS images of his property. Apparently a paved driveway would be an improvement that they would leap at the chance to assess and tax. He explained to the that what they were seeing was nothing more than a trail that he drives trucks and ATV's down, which has deep ruts -- apparently that are viewable from space.

The second question that they asked him about was a "structure" that they found in a clearing on his property. He angrily responded that that "structure" was an old camper that he acquired from his parents, that has not been plated since the 1970s. It sits out by his firepit and his kids use it to camp out in his woods.

He described the experience as something out of 1984. I agreed.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    gooleearth and type in address. normally a springtime shot available. I found a few ponds in a couple if area I hunt that U did not know were there. Intresting for sure.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Nothing new...

Not space, either. Google Earth type photography is aircraft based (when it's the resolution that allows you to see houses, sheds, pools, etc etc)

-J-

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My county has used airplanes for decades. With Google Earth and Bing Maps, they can do the same work without the fuel expense.

Don't get me started on property taxes...

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Yep. Worked in the mapping industry in the early 90s. They'd been doing this with airplanes for many years when I learned about it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Hey, rambone, point your friend here:
    Camo Nets | Camouflage Netting | Camouflage Net | Camo Net | - Camo-Netting

homepage_logo.jpg

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I recently google maped a satellite picture of my place. There's a new picture.
    For a few years it was the same post-construction image with a dirt back yard.
    The deck I built is obvious. The tax man will cometh, one way or another.

Top Bottom