• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • harleyindys

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Southside Indy
    I have been searching on the web and have came up short.

Here is the question:
    Can I sell a long gun (Indiana) to a NY resident visiting relatives here.

Or can someone point me in the right direction of were to search.I don't want to break any laws.

Thanks

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I have been searching on the web and have came up short.

Here is the question:
    Can I sell a long gun (Indiana) to a NY resident visiting relatives here.

Or can someone point me in the right direction of were to search.I don't want to break any laws.

Thanks

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Transferring ownership between residents of differing states generally always involves an FFL transfer.

Gifts, trades, & sales included.

OP, offer to ship it to the gun shop nearest his home so he can complete the transfer / 4473 there.

-J-

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...tguns/171790-out_of_state_sales_reminder.html

From the classified section here on the site. This might answer what you are asking it looks like you need to go through a FFL to me.

So I interpret this as saying that if he takes the rifle to a local FFL and has them do the transfer, that could be a legal transaction....am I read it correctly? That said, in some cases this still would NOT be allowed. Such as if you were to travel to a state that didn't allow residences of specific states to purchase from the state.

Example: I traveled to Mississippi for work a few years ago and found a GREAT deal on a shot gun at Bass Pro. I wanted to buy it and bring it back on the plane with me but when we started the process and I told him where I lived he showed me a chart that wouldn't allow IN residences to buy any type of firearms in the state of Mississippi in person...I thought he didn't know what he was talking about and due to it being a long gun, but I guess that I was the one that didn't know MS state law.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    So I interpret this as saying that if he takes the rifle to a local FFL and has them do the transfer, that could be a legal transaction....am I read it correctly? That said, in some cases this still would NOT be allowed. Such as if you were to travel to a state that didn't allow residences of specific states to purchase from the state.

Example: I traveled to Mississippi for work a few years ago and found a GREAT deal on a shot gun at Bass Pro. I wanted to buy it and bring it back on the plane with me but when we started the process and I told him where I lived he showed me a chart that wouldn't allow IN residences to buy any type of firearms in the state of Mississippi in person...I thought he didn't know what he was talking about and due to it being a long gun, but I guess that I was the one that didn't know MS state law.

The way I read it is that the FFL would have to be in the purchasers state. A local FFL would have some incite on what would be required. I think it would be worth a visit. The original poster said it was a relative I am not sure if he could gift it to the person but the word sale or trade means a money transaction and that is a different ballgame a FFL probably would know. I did buy a long gun from Bass Pro out of state they shipped it to a FFL here in Indiana for me actually another Bass Pro shop and the transaction was done here in Indiana.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Don't get hung up on "Sale" vs. "Gift"

Transfer of ownership between residents of different states is the issue.

-J-

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Only way you can do a private transfer to someone who resides in a different state is if the firearm is bequeathed to them, and you're dead. The executor of your estate can ship the firearm to them without involving an FFL.

Top Bottom