• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I just got a nice shiny, looks new, Saiga 20ga with a single 5rnd mag. What's the cheapest I can get a second and third mag for it and where?

Second, 20x70 and 20x76. I'm guessing 70 is 2 3/4" and 76 is 3"? Making 70 and 76 mean 70mm and 76mm maybe?

Better to use 00 Buck or Slugs for this gun?

Ok to hunt with?

Many questions, too excited/tired to think of more right now...

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    What's the cheapest I can get a second and third mag for it and where?

No such thing as cheap Saiga mags; ~$42 apiece is about the going rate.

Saiga 20 Gauge 5 Round 3 inch Magazine [IZ-123] - $41.99 : Mississippi Auto Arms, Inc ::, Your Source for Saiga, AK47, AR15, Tromix, Glock, and SKS firearms and accessories

20 Gauge 5-Round 3 inch Magazine [IZ-123] - $42.95 : Saiga Stock, Online Source For Gun ACCESSORIES

Saiga 20 Gauge 5 Round Magazine @ Stanleys Pro Shop

I'm guessing 70 is 2 3/4" and 76 is 3"? Making 70 and 76 mean 70mm and 76mm maybe?

Give this man a cookie! :yesway:

Better to use 00 Buck or Slugs for this gun?

Whatever the situation demands; the gun won't care.

Ok to hunt with?

Yep.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Saiga20001.jpg

Saiga20004.jpg

Saiga20006.jpg

Another question(s).

What is the effective range of the 20ga using slugs? Of course depends on the ammo, but fair guesstimation?

I was considering scoping this shotgun with the AK left side detachable mount like this one: MidwayUSA - Leapers 5th Generation Quick Detachable Picatinny-Style Double Rail Mount AK-47 Matte

Would something like this be a good mount? Any suggestions?

And one more... Does anyone have a Saiga with a different stock and some pictures? I considered the Tapco stock since I like the one on my SKS, but I kinda like the side folder too. Any suggestions for this?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Oh if I convert it, I'm going with 7.62! :D

I love the AK style, BUt I would like something adjustable. The folding stock was just an idea because it would make it more compact to carry. I also though about a shorter barrel, but that would diminish it's longer range accuracy. I need a shotgun anyway. I have a rifle, a handgun, need a shotty. It's not a 12ga, but it'll do for now.

I wish the damn Manual was written in the USA instead of Russia. I can barely understand the dam thing! LOL

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

Nice. Did you get the long-barreled (23") variant, or is the perspective just skewed in your pics?

I was considering scoping this shotgun with the AK left side detachable mount like this one

My issue with many of the siderail mounts out there is that they sit way too high to allow a decent cheek weld. This is supposedly to allow you to see the iron sights underneath, but if I'm running an optic as my primary sight system I want to be able to use it. That said, I don't have any firsthand experience with the particular mount you're referring to.

And one more... Does anyone have a Saiga with a different stock and some pictures?

Yes. :D
    saiga_side.jpg

I considered the Tapco stock since I like the one on my SKS, but I kinda like the side folder too. Any suggestions for this?

If you're going to add a pistol grip, you will need to make the gun 922(r) compliant. The plug-in stock/pistol grip kits from Tapco or ACE would give you (2) US-made parts, so you'd still have to swap out 3 more from the list below (which is going to be nearly impossible to do with a Saiga-20, without converting it to a full-on AK type configuration):

(1) Receiver
    (2) Barrels
    (3) Barrel extensions
    (4) Trunnion
    (5) Muzzle attachments (shotguns w/ threaded barrels only)
    (6) Bolts
    (7) Bolt carriers
    (8) Operating rods
    (9) Gas pistons
    (10) Trigger housings
    (11) Triggers
    (12) Hammers
    (13) Sears
    (14) Disconnectors
    (15) Buttstock
    (16) Pistol grips
    (17) Forearms, handguards
    (18) Magazine bodies
    (19) Followers
    (20) Floorplates

hippykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Johnson Co.
    Glad your happy with it Savage... Hope it gives you many hours of enjoyment... Now I just have to wait till the fall until I can complete my build... Man sbr's take so long.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Shooter, That's a nice looking Saiga 12. :D

Yes that's the long barrel. Guessing 23" I haven't measured. According to my Russian manual it's the longest available.

Guess I shouldn't have said scope. I was thinking more Red Dot.

As far as compliant, the new Buttstock and forgrip combo and US made Magazines should do the trick. Each Mag has three parts. The Body, follower, and the floor plate. :D

My SKS is another thing... Might be, might not....

Glad your happy with it Savage... Hope it gives you many hours of enjoyment... Now I just have to wait till the fall until I can complete my build... Man sbr's take so long.

Have the reciever engraved on the bottom of the reciever next to the trigger. :D Less noticeable. It's what I was going to do anyway!

:rockwoot: Thanks man! How many rounds through this? Couldn't be many...

hippykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Johnson Co.
    Have the reciever engraved on the bottom of the reciever next to the trigger. :D Less noticeable. It's what I was going to do anyway!

:rockwoot: Thanks man! How many rounds through this? Couldn't be many...

Put through it by me... Zero. I was told when I bought it that it was new, never fired. I know it has some dings on it, but I attribute that to the meat heads I bought it from.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Oh. Then I guess I'll wait to change the stock. Looks like I'll spend my money on some ammo then! LOL whats some good ammo websites?

hippykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Johnson Co.
    Oh. Then I guess I'll wait to change the stock. Looks like I'll spend my money on some ammo then! LOL whats some good ammo websites?

If you plan on using this for home defense, your options of 00 buck are pretty limited. Honestly for shot shells, I would recommend going to wal-mart and seeing what you can find there... Wal-mart's prices are almost always better then anything you would be able to find online.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I picked up some low recoil 00 Buck and some cheap 9 shot at Bradis as they were closing. I'm not too worried about penetration as I live in a subdivison and not apartments. The houses maybe close together, but I have garages on both sides of me. That's not to say 00 buck wont penetrate 4 barriers at decently close range, but chances of doing damage to a person after going to 2 walls would be like getting shot with a bb gun. Maybe. I'll use the 9 shot for target practice. Never used anything smaller than 7 shot so I'm interested in the shot patterns this will have.

Also, I was told using slugs/sabot slugs are a bad idea in this shotty. Is that true??? I thought it was a rifled barrel and that's what it was for anyway?

Top Bottom