• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Does anyone leave their straps in the tree to tie off throughout the year. I have been carrying the same rope to all my stands and hooking up when I climb in.
    Thinking about buying multiple rope straps to just leave them in the tree but wondered if it’s a good idea since squirrels eat everything.

Ive never had trees stand straps chewed on but thought rope might be a different story.??

Diesel24v

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Central
    I have been using life lines and love them. I am attached from the ground to the seat at all times. I put them up with the stand and they stay until the stand comes down.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    My stands come down every year so thatÂ’s no issue. I have the climbing rope with prusik knot and have always just kept that with me in my pack. IÂ’m tired of that extra step of hooking it up before I step onto my platform.
    IÂ’ve had seats, plastic on ratchet strap handle, trail cams all chewed on. If they can sink their teeth in it then they chew on it. Just leery about it being my safety strap. I like the rope style just seems like they may want that material for nesting.

Diesel24v

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Central
    My stands come down every year so thatÂ’s no issue. I have the climbing rope with prusik knot and have always just kept that with me in my pack. IÂ’m tired of that extra step of hooking it up before I step onto my platform.
    IÂ’ve had seats, plastic on ratchet strap handle, trail cams all chewed on. If they can sink their teeth in it then they chew on it. Just leery about it being my safety strap. I like the rope style just seems like they may want that material for nesting.

I do agree that they could chew it up at any time. I usually connect and put all my weight on the rope while i'm on the ground and then climb up. That way if it breaks, I'm already on the ground. Not fool proof but I also understand that any time I leave the ground that it is a big risk.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Squirrels chewing it are a maybe. Sunlight/rain are a for sure.

I always bring my safety gear inside, every time.

When I was working I was OCD about my safety harness. Never set it down on the ground, always kept it dry and clean. Never use any one elses. One time your life may depend on it.

Don

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I am a recreational tree climber and leave 2mm lines in ~10 trees year round which are used to pull a climbing line up when I want to climb. It saves a lot of time vs having to get a pull line over the right limb 80'+ up.

I have had one chewed and dropped to the ground in ~6 years. They do need replaced every couple of years due to weather damage (mostly UV damage).

Polyester is more UV resistant than nylon.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    My hunting buddy and I put ours out at the start of season and take them down at the end. They get a good looking over and if there is any damage, we pitch it and get a new one. I think we've only replaced one or two in seven years.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    We use the lifelines and put them up at the beginning of the season and retrieve at the end along with the bow hangers. That stuff adds up in price so I dont take a chance on 2 or 4 legged critters messing them up.

Top Bottom