• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Interesting thread. I can shed some light on the issues facing local gun shops vs big box stores.

1) Big Box Stores buy in bulk through their buyers. Think of it like this, the stores are their own warehouse. Ever wonder why Cabelas/BassPro or RKguns tells you to look at their website otherwise it isn't available and they can't order. It is because they project sales months in advance. That is also why the pricing takes longer to catch up with the market, they are still burning through old inventory. Want to guess where manufactures dump Gen 1 guns when the Gen 2s get announced? Makes sense right?
    2) Local Shops survive on buying inventory and then being able to quickly sell that inventory. Or they survive on small specialty items with good margin. For example, if they buy $1000 worth of guns they want to sell it for a small profit quickly vs a $5 MagPul do dad that might sit but has better margin. People buy the $5 do dad because online doesn't make sense with shipping costs, but a lot of that ties up the shops resources. Its all about managing inventory, inventory equates to resources needed to pay the light bill.
    3) Right now everything people want is allocated at the distributor level. By that I mean guns, powder, primers, magazines, ammunition. Distributors don't have enough to fill orders. So they tell the shops what they will sell them, there are no choices. To add insult to injury those distributors might say "hey if you buy $1000 worth of holsters we will allocate $1000 worth of guns." Keep in mind distribution is trying to sell goods and survive this as well. The result is a super sucking sound directly upon the limited resources a small shop can access.

So for all the guys going to the LGS and showing the guy behind the counter a screen shot from gunscalper.com for an out of stock pistol listed for $100 less then the tag in case. I salute you and give a loving invitation to ****************** (censored)
    Yup. Those people irritate the crap out of me. I get the same "bs: doing HVAC work.

Buy the stuff. Oh wait its out of stock you raving moron.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    When enough mom and pop gun shops shut down I would think that would start to put at least a small dent in their pockets. What happens when things return to normal? Thousands of mom and pop shops shut down and it's all because of their choice to not sell to them.

I don't know if it a choice, but rather necessary. Distribution and manufactures need products to move as well. Large stores move products.

airrifle82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2014
    northern indiana
    Pouting.......:):

Yeah thats rich.

It was your post and the wording OK.

Be safe

-CM-
    I understand you got a little butt-hurt. That's ok. It happens. I am gonna guess you have never run a business. I have. Too many small business owners have shaky ethics. I'm not saying the shop this post is about did, but you need to understand in small business reputation is almost everything. Some guy comes in desperate needs to sell something, the store owner can take advantage of that situation. Low ball him. That's his right. That guy comes on better times, goes to buy a new gun, he'll go somewhere else. That's his right. Nobody owes small business owners a living. They have to earn it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    They probably gave the poor schmuck that sold it to them $150....

I actually doubt they did. Most shops seem to offer 60% - 80% of a guns value in trade. Depends on what the gun is and how quickly they think it will sell. This works out to about half of what the gun would cost new. My guess is they had $450 in that $650 gun. So they either offered a good trade value to move something that had been sitting or they over estimated the value of the used gun.

Gun Shops buy at wholesale and sell at retail. That is how the business works.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I understand you got a little butt-hurt. That's ok. It happens. I am gonna guess you have never run a business. I have. Too many small business owners have shaky ethics. I'm not saying the shop this post is about did, but you need to understand in small business reputation is almost everything. Some guy comes in desperate needs to sell something, the store owner can take advantage of that situation. Low ball him. That's his right. That guy comes on better times, goes to buy a new gun, he'll go somewhere else. That's his right. Nobody owes small business owners a living. They have to earn it.
    Wow.

My response was to keep the flow of posts rolling as to the specific topic. Its what I do. Hence the Moderator badge. Go figure.
    Seriously, if I were butt hurt you would know it. I am not.

I have been self employed at many levels most of my life. Made payroll and met over head on HVAC business and am doing that even now.
    I also have a shop (ATP Racing) that we do all sorts and manor of performance and resto work. Stop in on the Official HotRod thread here in the forum. Many pics of our work and what we have ongoing.

No butt hurt here my friend as I have a very clear view of the world and human nature.

Be well.
    Be safe.

airrifle82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2014
    northern indiana
    I actually doubt they did. Most shops seem to offer 60% - 80% of a guns value in trade. Depends on what the gun is and how quickly they think it will sell. This works out to about half of what the gun would cost new. My guess is they had $450 in that $650 gun. So they either offered a good trade value to move something that had been sitting or they over estimated the value of the used gun.

Gun Shops buy at wholesale and sell at retail. That is how the business works.
    Sorry to question your business expertise. You must have never worked in a gun shop. Most of the time 50% is the max. I don't know, I wasn't there to see that particular deal. Maybe that shop is a one in a million. If you don't believe 50% is the high side take a gun into a shop and see what you walk out with.

airrifle82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2014
    northern indiana
    Wow.

My response was to keep the flow of posts rolling as to the specific topic. Its what I do. Hence the Moderator badge. Go figure.
    Seriously, if I were butt hurt you would know it. I am not.

I have been self employed at many levels most of my life. Made payroll and met over head on HVAC business and am doing that even now.
    I also have a shop (ATP Racing) that we do all sorts and manor of performance and resto work. Stop in on the Official HotRod thread here in the forum. Many pics of our work and what we have ongoing.

No butt hurt here my friend as I have a very clear view of the world and human nature.

Be well.
    Be safe.
    I'm happy for you. I'm sure that moderator badge means the world to you.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    They probably gave the poor schmuck that sold it to them $150....
    Having traded several guns with Jeff over the years, I always got more than a fair deal. Local market prices and avalibility, drive local prices. Plus, Jeff stood behind his products and if something was screwed up, he would make it right. Try that with an internet vendor or big box store...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm happy for you. I'm sure that moderator badge means the world to you.
    Are you always such a wise guy. Or just here and now.
    Keep pushing my friend.

I volunteer my time here as I have a deep affection for this site and am good friends with many of its members.

I would suggest you take a break now.

airrifle82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2014
    northern indiana
    Having traded several guns with Jeff over the years, I always got more than a fair deal. Local market prices and avalibility, drive local prices. Plus, Jeff stood behind his products and if something was screwed up, he would make it right. Try that with an internet vendor or big box store...
    Sounds like a good guy to deal with.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sorry to question your business expertise. You must have never worked in a gun shop. Most of the time 50% is the max. I don't know, I wasn't there to see that particular deal. Maybe that shop is a one in a million. If you don't believe 50% is the high side take a gun into a shop and see what you walk out with.
    This member does work in a gun shop.
    Also a certified NRA instructor.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

JediMeme.jpg

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    This member does work in a gun shop.
    Also a certified NRA instructor.
    Don't tell people I am an NRA instructor. They may start charging me for coffee. Ha Ha Ha.

How about I have been around the block a few times. I could share exactly how my LGS evaluates and prices used guns. But that would be putting to much information out on the internet. I don't mind giving INGO some insight as to the behind the scenes, but understand I can't share everything. Just know that LGS aren't usually sticking it to people as bad as they are accused.

Edit: I was thinking about this while heating up my soup for lunch. The perception of what "percentage" of value a shop offers in trade is irrelevant. The underlying issue is that many people over estimate what a firearm is worth. They tend to go by what they see at gun shows or the asking price on Gun Broker. The other issue is they under estimate how much a used gun depreciates. Yes a never fired gun is in fact used. Right now their are a lot of people looking to sell or trade their garbage used guns because the market is moving to favor the seller.

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I had heard of the shop years ago but never made it over until a few years ago or so. Had quite a few guns and reloading supplies. The shop owner and I assume his daughter were very nice folks. Found some hard to find gunpowder at a fair price. The girl even "repaired" my glasses when when of the lenses came out! Could only happen to me.

Was last in there on election day and it was packed. I probably would have walked out with an Anschutz Exemplar if it had been a right hand version. Anyway too bad to hear about them closing. I'll have to try to make it over again before then.

Top Bottom