• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SeaseFire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Plainfield
    My Mossberg 500 with rifled barrel has been shooting cheap Winchester SuperX 1oz. rifled slugs for years and years.....super accurate all the way out to 110 yds...have never shot beyond that. Barrel looks and shoots perfect.

I've tried Super X but my 500 doesn't like them. Gotta go with the Hornaday on this one! Ever barrel likes a different slug!

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I've tried Super X but my 500 doesn't like them. Gotta go with the Hornaday on this one! Ever barrel likes a different slug!

Yup, thats right. I wonder if you have a Mossberg rifled barrel? I got mine back around 1991...it was made for the Mossberg with the rail on top for the scope, but can't think what brand it is...hmmm.....gotta go look I guess, got so much camo paint on it wonder if I can find it!!!!

SeaseFire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Plainfield
    Yup, thats right. I wonder if you have a Mossberg rifled barrel? I got mine back around 1991...it was made for the Mossberg with the rail on top for the scope, but can't think what brand it is...hmmm.....gotta go look I guess, got so much camo paint on it wonder if I can find it!!!!

Yes, it's rifled. Just doesn't like the Super X. At 80 yards in a sled, it shoots about a foot wide pattern :/. Super X was fine from about 50 yards or less, so I might as well just use my bow!

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    OK..several boxes of slugs later,several $$ I might add..Sore shoulders on myself and my 17 year old..The Deerslayer threw the cheap $5 Federal 2 3/4 inch slugs more consistently than any thing else.

SeaseFire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Plainfield
    OK..several boxes of slugs later,several $$ I might add..Sore shoulders on myself and my 17 year old..The Deerslayer threw the cheap $5 Federal 2 3/4 inch slugs more consistently than any thing else.

That's not a bad thing! Better than it loving the Remington Copper Solid Slugs!

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.

My rifled slug gun is the same way, it loves the federal 2 3/4" slugs!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yes, it's rifled. Just doesn't like the Super X. At 80 yards in a sled, it shoots about a foot wide pattern :/. Super X was fine from about 50 yards or less, so I might as well just use my bow!

So it opened up from fine to bad in just 30 more yards? I'm thinking there were other factors.

First off, ditch that sled.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    True..but by the end of the shooting session my son was anticipating,a little more than he should..I was struggling against it myself! Recoil did not used to bother me so much..but two evenings on the range with deer slugs hurt a little!
    Yeah, pretty sure that's how I picked up a little flinch myself. Didn't even notice it until I was trying to sight in a .300 Win Mag earlier this year. Deer slugs ain't too much fun sighting in!

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Dan- I found similar results with my Mossy rifled barrel; The Federal Truball slugs I bought for the grandsons H&R printed nice cloverleaf groups from my barrel. Bought about 10 boxes 2 yrs ago, if my scope holds up, that oughta be a 10 yr supply!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I liked the old WW Hi Impact Supremes (BRI style projectile/sabot).
    My rifled 870's loved 'em.
    Folded some with double lung hits, others made a few steps and then keeled over. Man those deer bled a lot, startling how much.
    Did shoot a small 8 at 12 paces, from the ground, hit onside shoulder and found the slug under the fur at the back opp ham. That deer jumped way up and trotted 75 yards and stopped, head down. I hit him again with another HI Supreme and he crumpled.
    Kinda fooled me at first, my 2nd shot exited where the first went in............looked like only the 2nd hit him, til I found the bump on his butt.

12 paces and he went 75 yards and took another. All the other deer went down faster, and usually close or at impact site.

Ya just never know what's gonna happen.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I have always believed that rifled barrels needed sabot slugs. I have friend who prefer smoothbores with rifle sights,because they do not want to pay the extra for the sabots! Kind neat to see that "common wisdom" may just be marketing ploys..

USA#1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    In the forest
    View attachment 23657 I found the hornaday sabots hit a little higher on the target, but, in my experience, the Remington accutips were more consistent. I sighted in my scope with the accutips and took my first deer with one on opening day.
    Note: These were 2&3/4 Remington accutip sabots shot from a mossberg 500 rifled barrel.

Top Bottom