• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville
    My brother and I both have XDS and like them alot.
    he had a shield and likes the xds alot better.
    Very accurate and functions with every type of ammo we could find.
    Spend another $26 and get pearce grip extensions and your all set.
    I put a trigger kit in mine and got the pull down to 4 lbs.
    I carry mine every where.
    I have alot of pistols and this one is the most accurate.

J4Me

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    I owned a Shield for a short time...never shot it but got to fondle it whenever I wanted. I picked up an XDS last Saturday so I may be able to give a little advice based on handling them and extensive research I've done on both.

Reliability: The Shield has a good track record as far as reliability. The XDS is unknown at this point so if you choose XDS (like I did) you're taking a small risk.

Quality: IMO the workmanship on the XDS is better.

Capacity: Both are 7+1 with the flush mags. I prefer to run a flush mag with a pinky (Pearce) extension.

Trigger: Shield trigger is slightly better but the XDS ain't bad at all.

Safety: Shield has a thumb safety (I don't like)....XDS has a grip safety (I like).

Sights: I like the fiber optic front sight on the XDS.

Ergos: I wear a large glove and I really like the way the XDS feels in my hand. The reach to the trigger is just right. It also comes with an interchangeable backstrap. The Shield is nice too, but the grip, IIRC, is a bit too thin.
    The XDS has a Picatinny rail. The Shield does not.
    The XDS has an ambidextrous magazine release. The Shield does not.

Price: The XDS is going to run you $75 to $100 more than the Shield.

Other: The XDS is made in Croatia and the Shield in the U.S. The XDS comes with a low end paddle holster and double mag pouch...Shield does not.

That should get you started. Google is your friend!

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I'm a huge M&P fanboy, But I'm also a realist, I've handled and shot the XDS and I own a shield in 40,

I had to wait months on my shield and if I had shot the XDS earlier I might have ended up with an XD but not because its better or worse or anything like that its because I could have been shooting it 6 months earlier, But that situation is over,

When it comes down to it I think the only big difference is the grip safety, I'm not a fan of the grip safety

I think that you should get what you like, and feels good, I don't think the performance will be that much different.

I don't know if things have changed but I was always under the impression that messing with triggers and what could be considered competition modifications but reliability enhancements are good to go, But I think its kind of armchair lawyers

Statistically you will never use your firearm for anything but paper and steel plates, and lets hope it stays like that

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Haven't tried to the XDS but still lovin my Shield, goes everywhere with me.

I just noticed the XDS is 4oz heavier. Looks like a nifty pistol though!

I also agree with the poster above I do NOT like the grip safety which has always been a turn off for me on the entire XD line.

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Just get both. You can sell the one you don't like for more money than you bought it for new on the used market when you decide which to keep.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Had the 8 hr range day today and another officer brought his new Shield .40. First time shooting one and I was impressed. Recoil was fine, accuracy good, function perfect. I have been tossing it around and want one, but would like to try the XDS too.

Top Bottom