• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    So I shot a S&W 500 for the first time today!!!!!!!!!
    picture.php

So Sweet!!!! I love shooting big guns! Especially when men think they are too much for skinny lil' ol' me to handle!!!!!!
    Just had to brag on this! :D
    (The little holes were a .22 from someone else...I borrowed their target which was left up.)

:) Oh sigh, I feel so great right now!!!

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    They are an awesome handgun that is on my long-list to own one day, even if they are somewhat iimpracticle and expensive to own or shoot.

I LOVE the *HOLLYYYYY SHIIZZZZZZZZ* look you get when you pull that sucker out at a range and touch off the big BOOOMMMMMM rounds!

Like you, I'm sick in thinking that....big guns with big kick= awesome! :rockwoot:

Congrats!

IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    They are an awesome handgun that is on my long-list to own one day, even if they are somewhat iimpracticle and expensive to own or shoot.

I LOVE the *HOLLYYYYY SHIIZZZZZZZZ* look you get when you pull that sucker out at a range and touch off the big BOOOMMMMMM rounds!

Like you, I'm sick in thinking that....big guns with big kick= awesome! :rockwoot:

Congrats!

Thanks! I shot the 500 this week and a 50 cal DE last week for the first time, also....now I'm completely and utterly hooked on HUGE ass guns!! The shocking BANG and the "HOLLYYYY SHIIZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" look together make it just so much damned fun!!!!! (even if, as mentioned, they are massively impractical and ridiculously expensive).

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Very cool to shoot. But those 6 holes cost about 15.00 to make .

I only count 5 .50" holes. :D You're right about the price though. The rounds cost about $3 each. I have the .500 ES, the .460 ES and the .460 Compensated Hunter from the Smith Custom Shop.

I like the .460 better than the .500 since I can shot .460 ammo for the full charge loads or shoot the .45 Long Colt rounds for practice. Shooting the .45 Long Colt rounds through the beast is like shooting a .22 revolver.

A lot of folks have fired my .500 and they are surprised at the accuracy. Once they fire the first round and realize the recoil won't make them sterile, they usually enjoy the experience.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    A lot of folks have fired my .500 and they are surprised at the accuracy. Once they fire the first round and realize the recoil won't make them sterile, they usually enjoy the experience.

I am one of them, and thank you, Dave, for allowing me the honor of spending $15 of your money in ammunition to shoot a ragged-hole group with your 500 S&W "snubbie"--2 3/4" barrel, no compensator, no porting, just maximum recoil. It hurt so good! :D

Juday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    It's pretty crazy how accurate that gun really is, isn't it?! I know when I first shot my 500, I wasn't even expecting to hit the target, let along the bullseye! Nothing like standing next to someone who is firing the weapon and feeling the concussion of the round going off on your chest!

I haven't purchased ammo for that gun since I bought it, but I wonder how much they run now? When I bought mine, it was $2.65/round, but I'm sure it's more than that now. Did you shoot the lighter loads (HA, like there's such thing!), or the heavier loads?

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    It's pretty crazy how accurate that gun really is, isn't it?! I know when I first shot my 500, I wasn't even expecting to hit the target, let along the bullseye! Nothing like standing next to someone who is firing the weapon and feeling the concussion of the round going off on your chest!

I haven't purchased ammo for that gun since I bought it, but I wonder how much they run now? When I bought mine, it was $2.65/round, but I'm sure it's more than that now. Did you shoot the lighter loads (HA, like there's such thing!), or the heavier loads?

If I recall correctly, the ammo was 500 gr. Magsafe, but it may have been 350 gr. bullets. More "push" from the 500 gr. bullets; the 350 gr. rounds have "sharper" recoil. I think it may have been the 500 gr. variety, as I distinctly remember my toes coming up in my shoes on each shot!

That day, Dave showed up at a range where I was conducting a class and asked me if I wanted to shoot his new beast. Of course! Well, I had the perfect opportunity to make an arse of myself or look like a champ in front of everybody. So, I concentrated on the fundamentals of shooting a DA revolver: lock the grip down, six-o-clock hold, draw the trigger straight back, focus on the front sight, and surprise break--just like all the other S&W revolvers I have shot for decades, except the surprise on the surprise break was the biggest ever!

Thanks, again, Mr. Doehrman!

IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    I only count 5 .50" holes. :D

Mr. Doehrman, you are correct, there ARE only 5 holes....but that is because 2 shots wen through the same hole.....YEP--they SURE did....as witnessed by the 500's owner (not me) who is also a police firearms instructor!!!!! :rockwoot: for my accurate shooting!!! (and much to his surprise as well!!! hahahaha!!!!) But I definitely popped off 6.

@ Juday, 5 were 'light' loads, and the last was a home brew SUPER big bang reload.....all were tons of fun!
    If his reloads weren't so pricey, I would have insisted he let me shoot those. But he saw my scrawny-ness and was certain I'd only pull the trigger one time! (he only loaded one in the cylinder for me at first) hahahahahahahahahahaha!!! Boy did I show him and his wallet! :D

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Reloading can go a long way in making the big bore handguns affordable to shoot. I own 2 Rugers chambered in .480, and the last time I priced factory ammo, it was about $1.50 a round or $30 for a box of 20, but by casting my own bullets, I have the cost of reloading down to $8 per 100 rounds. That's right ***, $.08 per round :rockwoot:

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Got a photo...

of the gun? Specs. please. Looks like you were getting accustomed to the trigger and the "flinch" factor. Is your first shot on the top, or bottom? The recoil of these "large" weapons is considerable, but actually easy to handle, if you respect the inertia. I have a couple of Desert Eagles, and T/Cs in .460SW, and .406. Proper respect = no pain, but a few $$$ !! Thanks

Last edited:

IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Thanks Kawtech! :)
    I did get accustomed to the 'flinch' factor. My first shot was dead center (much to mine and the gun owners surprise! lol!) the next 2 went low (those were the bottom holes), then they started to raise back to there the first one was....the last shot when through the first hole I made....and that felt pretty damned good!
    I do have to say, that shooting the 500 this week (for the first time) and the 50 cal last week really helped me square up nicely on shooting my 9mm and my new .45 Sig P220...
    After those big boys, the 'smaller' calibers were even more fun than they were before. I really can't wait to get my mitts on a judge now!
    @Evil, I have to admit other than seeing the 8" barrel in lovely stainless steel, I'm not to sure what exactly I was shooting round wise. (I'll make sure to ask the nice gentleman when I see him again next Wednesday.) I know he made his own loads and he called some of the 'really hot'....but I would have shot more if he would have offered! lol! It was a 5 round cylinder and he had this nifty scope on it that put a laser on the target which you could see through the scope. (My optic knowledge is NIL) I just know it was sighted for 25' which is the distance the target was at (lol and I didn't bring the target in to snap the photo! ha!)
    Other than the scope, it was an off the shelf 500. No trigger job and the grips were the standard hoague grips. It did have the standard muzzle brake... :) oh sigh, I Love big bore's! :)

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    My brother has a S&W500 and a S&W460 - it's great fun to take them to his indoor range! The 460 has a compensator, and it blows all the dust and loose paint off the lane divider walls when fired. The best part is watching EVERYONE else on the range take a step back and say "WTF was that!!??" every time it goes off.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Mr. Doehrman, you are correct, there ARE only 5 holes....but that is because 2 shots wen through the same hole.....YEP--they SURE did....as witnessed by the 500's owner (not me) who is also a police firearms instructor!!!!! :rockwoot: for my accurate shooting!!! (and much to his surprise as well!!! hahahaha!!!!) But I definitely popped off 6.
    :D

Am I mistaken or isn't the 500 a 5-shooter????? did you reload??

Top Bottom