• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bsubtown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 19, 2013
    Dekalb county
    I have bought many metal ammo cans from RK and had no issues with them. They have them on sale often and are normally the best price I can reliably find. I see used military issued ammo cans at other stores for the same cost or slightly more on a regular basis. I can't tell the difference except that the RK ones are in perfect shape.

SirLiftsALatte

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I think Menards still has a .50 cal and .30 cal ammo can combo set for $14.99. They used to have a $5 mail in rebate on top of that sale price, but I believe that the rebate price ended a while ago.

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    I think RK cans are new manufactured. I have compared them to milatary surplus can I have. They look to be every it as well made but without the beating marks and dents. Only time will tell.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I will never buy one from RK. I opened up one can and the lid came off and the can about fell off the shelf. I closed it and never looked at another one.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I will never buy one from RK. I opened up one can and the lid came off and the can about fell off the shelf. I closed it and never looked at another one.

The lids are made to come off. No, they are not the same quality as true milsurp but they are not going to be kicked out of a huey either. For storing ammo on a shelf they are more than fine.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I will add I had two .30 cal milsurp cans of ammo that were fully submerged in a flooded basement for approximately 7-8 hours. Both were bone dry inside.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I've been picking these "civilian" metal ammo cans at Walmart for $8.97 each. They seem to be identical to the ones that Rural King sells. Not quite as heavy duty as real Mil-Spec, but more than good enough for my needs.

You would be surprised by the looks you get walking out of Walmart with four .50 cal ammo cans in your arms. You would have thought I was a criminal or something:scratch:

Tc343

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Apr 17, 2012
    Greenfield
    The biggest issue is not the metal, but the rubber seal the can has. Just like Snorko said above, the milsurp cans survived 7-8 of water submersion inn his basement. The cheap China cans will not. I know right now you are thinking that you don't have a basement, etc. If you ever have a fire, and the fire dept dumps, 1000 of gallons in your house this could flood it. Just don't lose 100's of dollars ammo over $2-3 per can. They have videos on line comparing the china cans to the milsurp.

Top Bottom