• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    OK guys and gals looking for some recent feedback or experiences with the Ruger SR9.

A little background is in order here. My wife just applied for her LTCH. She does not want to carry a firearm at this time; however, she does want to be proficient with whatever gun I decide to carry. She is not a fan of my current snubnose revolver. The P99 and Glocks in .40 s&w are a little to "snappy" for her tastes. She loves my Browning HiPower in 9mm and does not mind full/mid size Glocks in 9mm. Before everyone answers buy a Glock 19 or Springfield XD, I want to explore other options. The SR9 has caught my attention due to it being ambidextrose (wife is a southpaw) and relatively thin and light weight.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I've got one and I absolutely love it. Haven't had a single hiccup with 1200ish rounds through it. The ergos are great in my opinion but be sure to try it with the backstrap both flat and curved if you don't like one way. Recoil is tame with very little flip.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    She'd like a 9mm P99 better... *ahem*

I've not shot an SR9, though. I've only handled one.

For such a high capacity pistol, they are indeed rather slim. Didn't feel uncomfortable in my hand, though.

I've heard many many MANY reports that the SR9 trigger is rather gritty. If she likes Glock and/or P99 triggers...she may not like the Ruger's.

-J-

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    I bought an SR9 right when they were recalled. They were selling for $300-$350 on gunbroker because demand was down due to the recall. I bought a two-tone one (green and black) and it was a sweet looking pistol. It shot very well and if I remember correctly it came with adjustable sights (I could be wrong about that). It was a great shooter and I remember being impressed with how slim it was.

However, I simply shot my Smith MP9 better and the Smith is more comfortable in my hand. So, I traded it for another M&P.

I remember the SR9 feeling solid and shooting well. I didn't think the new (post recall) trigger was that bad either. It reminded me of a Glock trigger.

That new compact version is intriguing because the slimness of the SR9 will make it a great carry weapon IMHO.

sr9t

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    sr9

It is a great gun no problems after 1000+ rounds also works great with a crossbreed supertuck holster:patriot:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    How bout the triggers? Have they gotten better? Do they smooth out with use? The one I dry fired was horrible, but I've heard improvements have been made. Can anyone with first hand experience compare the triggers to Glocks or XDs?

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    The SR9 is a GREAT firearm, I've sold a few and everyone that has purchased them have been very satisfied. One word of caution however if you're planning to use the thumb safety be aware that it's a very slim safety and if you're used to a 1911 or even a S&W M&P thumb safety, you very well might miss the Ruger SR9 thumb safety on your normal thumb sweep when preparing to fire.

Other than that it's a GREAT firearm and I highly recommend them. Also with the new SR9C, if it handles the same as the SR9, it too will be a hit.

Oh and don't forget, these are some of the lowest priced highly recommended firearms on the market today.

Good Luck and God Bless!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The SR9 is a GREAT firearm, I've sold a few and everyone that has purchased them have been very satisfied. One word of caution however if you're planning to use the thumb safety be aware that it's a very slim safety and if you're used to a 1911 or even a S&W M&P thumb safety, you very well might miss the Ruger SR9 thumb safety on your normal thumb sweep when preparing to fire.

Other than that it's a GREAT firearm and I highly recommend them. Also with the new SR9C, if it handles the same as the SR9, it too will be a hit.

Oh and don't forget, these are some of the lowest priced highly recommended firearms on the market today.

Good Luck and God Bless!

How much is "lowest priced?"

Top Bottom