• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 22LRFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 9, 2022
    East Central Indiana
    Picked up one a couple weeks ago and it’s quickly becoming my favorite gun to shoot. Has anyone here put thousands of rounds through one yet? How’d it hold up? I know that’s difficult to do with the price of 380 acp.

cavallo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2023
    Brownsburg
    I don't have one and have never shot one so you really aren't exactly asking me, but from my experience with Ruger and the fact that 380 isn't a punishing round, I'm going to speculate that we will all be flying places with our personal jetpacks before it falls apart.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've held a Ruger Security 9 but have never shot one so not one to comment anything valid about them. However, while the pistol line doesn't impress me enough to run out and buy one, they've been here for a while now and I am not hearing any real complaints about them.
    Also, from personal experience with having had dozens of Ruger made products over a 30+ year span, it's been my experience that nothing Ruger builds
    makes it to production that is junk!
    .380 ACP is not a punishing round to shoot so it doesn't tend to beat a gun up, so I say shoot it and enjoy it.
    Just remember to try different grains and manufacturers of ammo to see which shoots best through it (accuracy-wise) and then buy that ammo!
    Enjoy...

Last edited:

Malware

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2016
    Westfield
    I have a couple of 380s I pocket carry and I do like the look of the Ruger just not sure what role it would play for me since it’s too big for a pocket gun and 9mm is cheaper to shoot

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I don't have any personal experience with one...yet, but I most certainly want one.
    That 15rd magazine kinda made it more interesting to me. I've got large hands and all 380acp so far (except the Makarov) do not fit my had at all.
    This one just might be one to add to the safe if i find a deal I can't refuse.

@22LRFan
    I ran across a few 380acp self defense loads that actually expanded properly.
    I'll try to find them again for you if you are interested.
    The vast majority of self defense hollow point bullets for 380acp do not expand and act like a fmj. So research before you waste money on junk self defense ammunition. Just a friendly heads-up.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have a couple of 380s I pocket carry and I do like the look of the Ruger just not sure what role it would play for me since it’s too big for a pocket gun and 9mm is cheaper to shoot
    I see my father he's in his 80's now.
    He can't handle his 44mag revolver, nor operate the slide on his 1911 now.
    He is carrying a Ruger LCRX 38 Special I got for him, and some light loads I made for him.
    He's a big guy at 6'4" 260lbs he still very strong for his age, but lost hand strength due to arthritis.
    So I know one day I'll give away my 44mag, 10mm, and possibly 9mm handguns to my children, and end up with a 380acp myself.
    So in the future I can see this firearm, or one like it taking the main edc role for me.

Malware

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2016
    Westfield
    I will say the Sig P238 is easy to rack, comfortable to shoot and pocketable. I have however considered a larger 380 for ease of operation and this Ruger is top of the list for me at the moment

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    I don't have one and have never shot one so you really aren't exactly asking me, but from my experience with Ruger and the fact that 380 isn't a punishing round, I'm going to speculate that we will all be flying places with our personal jetpacks before it falls apart.
    In the immortal words of Tim Wilson…… Where the F… is my jetpack
    Sorry had to say it

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The vast majority of self defense hollow point bullets for 380acp do not expand and act like a fmj. So research before you waste money on junk self defense ammunition. Just a friendly heads-up.
    Would you happen to remember what brand(s) they were?
    This past fall, I ended up picking up a Ruger LCP (standard model) as I developed a need for a small 'get-off-me' pistol, specific for pocket carry. This past weekend, I ended up picking up a used Glock 42 (for the same role) as I prefer the Glock platform and grip angle. Finding quality and effective ammo seems to be the biggest concern.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I'll look it up. Post videos for you.
    I was just looking at the Underwood Ammo online...
    Have checked out Buffalo Bore's stuff as well...they tend to build a pretty decent round.
    Here's a quick video on their .380 acp +P 90 grain JHP getting 13" of penetration...

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I was just looking at the Underwood Ammo online...
    Have checked out Buffalo Bore's stuff as well...they tend to build a pretty decent round.
    I like tools method of testing rounds.
    About a year ago he started using 4 layers and that defeated a lot of HP I thought were good in bare gel. What a difference clothing makes on poorly designed hollow points.
    HST and Gold Dot usually do well in About every caliber. I just haven't found any tests in 380acp shooting through clothing layers yet. So if I owned a 380acp that Underwood #152 would be my carry ammo.

22LRFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 9, 2022
    East Central Indiana
    I’m in the “FMJ for 380” camp. The security 380 is like shooting a 22lr. I suffer from tendonitis in my arms and hands. There are days where a 9mm isn’t an option for me. A high capacity 380 should be plenty for majority of civilian self defense needs. If not, you should probably reconsider your life choices. :shoot::lmfao:

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    That 15rd magazine kinda made it more interesting to me. I've got large hands and all 380acp so far (except the Makarov) do not fit my had at all.
    This one just might be one to add to the safe if i find a deal I can't refuse.

@22LRFan
    Yeah, I wear XL gloves, so most .380 pistols end up getting lost in my grip, or my trigger finger is scratching my support hand, just trying to pull the trigger.

Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    The Security 380 is a nice shooting accurate pistol. I liked the 15 round mags for a 380, and bought one as soon as I found one. Very fun to shoot and the only ammo it didn’t like was Fiochi JHP. I load with Remington JHP and have a mag of Winchester FMJ flat point as backup. This is my ole man walking about gun for when I can no longer lift my steel guns. I have 100% confidence in it. I also have a G42 that I shoot well too. Bought a bunch of Blazer 380 brass in bulk so no ammo anxiety here. I have close to 1K through it because it is so fun to shoot, but I don’t think it is designed as a high round count gun like some of my competition pistols.

Top Bottom