• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Awesome rifle for the price. I have 2 one in 243 and 6.5.

It's a great rifle for the money.
    If you reload, you can shoot some of the less popular calibers (although, ballistically superior, like the 6.5 and the 7mm-08, etc)
    If you don't reload, get a 243 and/or a 308

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    If you like the chassis style rifles it might be the way to go. But I'll be the odd ball and say that I think it's a little gimmicky. In that price range, you could get a pretty damn nice bolt gun. Personally, I would prefer something like a Steyr SSG, FN SPR, or custom build in my choice of platform (Rem 700, Win mod 70, etc....). But as the old saying goes, opinions are like *'s, everyone has one, haha.

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Im thinking about getting into long range shooting. Im looking at the ruger precision rifle. Likes dislikes?

I am in the same boat. Already have an AR style in 6.8 SPC and I am really wanting to get the new enhanced in 6.5 Creed. Have been doing a lot of reading and research (internet surfing) for a little over a month now. Let me know what you end up doing and I will try and do the same.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Im thinking about getting into long range shooting. Im looking at the ruger precision rifle. Likes dislikes?

I've thought about it, too. But until I can find access to the space to regularly take shots 300+ meters, I think an AR is as long as I will go. Heck, I'd love to have a .338LM Savage single shot. But there's little point to that rifle at 200m, and not being able to feed it regularly (at $4/rd) would cause the rifle to just sit there and mock me.

Maybe someday my circumstances will allow.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I would love to have one in 6.5 CM. While I'm a newbie in the world of long range anything, I have to agree with Tradertator on the "gimmicky-ness" of it. Though not really a bad thing always, and I'll say probably more a good thing than a bad thing for most. Its got a ton of features many people want. Its got a chassis, and features that a person wants on a rifle. Frankly i see that as more good than bad. That being said, lots of people may not "know" it doesnt fit them well, but they buy it because of the chassis etc and there are better options. Thats where my limited opinion stops due to lack of experience....
    Mostly I see it as a rifle that Ruger built based on what people wanted, to that I applaud Ruger.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I would love to have one in 6.5 CM. While I'm a newbie in the world of long range anything, I have to agree with Tradertator on the "gimmicky-ness" of it. Though not really a bad thing always, and I'll say probably more a good thing than a bad thing for most. Its got a ton of features many people want. Its got a chassis, and features that a person wants on a rifle. Frankly i see that as more good than bad. That being said, lots of people may not "know" it doesnt fit them well, but they buy it because of the chassis etc and there are better options. Thats where my limited opinion stops due to lack of experience....
    Mostly I see it as a rifle that Ruger built based on what people wanted, to that I applaud Ruger.

From what I read the .308 and 6.5 Rifle shoot really well, have read mixed things in the .243. I know I hadn't built a rifle in 6.5 CM just before these came out I would pick one of these up in a heart beat. With a new barrel from LRI( or similar) these will shoot along with the full customs for a fraction of the price. To me the inky thing I don't care for is the bladed trigger but believe there is at least a replacement trigger shoe available now.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I gave serious thought the RPR. If I were going to get one it would be in 6.5 CM. What actually happened is I was offered a very nice Savage 110E 300 Win Mag with a superb trigger job from a fellow member here at a price I could not refuse. I am going to re-stock it with a Choate Ultimate Sniper set up and for ~600 I will have myself a very fine setup for long range.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I shot the RPR and it's a solid rifle.
    I think there are better choices in the price range they're asking for it. "Gimmicky" might be a good description.
    I'm a die hard center fire bolt guy and own some fine rifles. The Ruger is cool but my description and adjectives pretty much stop there.

whtsti2005

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Carmel
    Okay so I finally made a decision, thanks to all of the feedback. I purchased a Ruger Precision Rifle in .308. The reason for the caliber is that A. I don't have the place to go out and shoot past 500 yards. B. Ammunition availability. I know I know, but .308 is a fairly common caliber and I don't reload. The 6.5 is a little pricey. I also purchased a Vortex Viper PST 6.5 20-50 scope. I haven't had her out past 100 yards yet, but it's a nail driver thus far. I agree that it could be considered a little "gimmicky", but I'm must starting and felt this would be a great starting point. Like everything else in the firearm world, we usually start out with something we understand and progress from there. I feel confident that this will get me started. Just my 2 cents, but in this era 2 cents isn't worth #$%^.

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Okay so I finally made a decision, thanks to all of the feedback. I purchased a Ruger Precision Rifle in .308. The reason for the caliber is that A. I don't have the place to go out and shoot past 500 yards. B. Ammunition availability. I know I know, but .308 is a fairly common caliber and I don't reload. The 6.5 is a little pricey. I also purchased a Vortex Viper PST 6.5 20-50 scope. I haven't had her out past 100 yards yet, but it's a nail driver thus far. I agree that it could be considered a little "gimmicky", but I'm must starting and felt this would be a great starting point. Like everything else in the firearm world, we usually start out with something we understand and progress from there. I feel confident that this will get me started. Just my 2 cents, but in this era 2 cents isn't worth #$%^.

Let me be the first to say Congrats!

Top Bottom