Ruger Precision Rifle in 338 Lapua review with load development.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The 338 Lapua project began for me because I wanted something with the power to take to a 3,000 yard class. I was sold on the caliber, but the expense always kept me out of it, until I saw Midway have a sale on some Lapua brass at a third of the regular price. That was last fall and I've been slowly adding part after part since then, because it is an expensive project. Ultimately, I decided on the RPR because of the reputation the Ruger precision rifles are having for accuracy. Even though there still aren't a whole lot of reviews out these in 338 Lapua I took the chance and I'm hoping this review helps others. I was a little apprehensive at first, but I'm glad rolled the dice.

9QFEnfy.jpg

Rifle Setup:
    Currently the rifle is wearing a loaned optic from another one of my rifles because the SWFA 3-15x MOA FFP scope I ordered last Dec on a black friday sale for nearly half off still hasn't arrived all these months later. I chose that scope because of the SWFA reputation for scopes being able to take a beating and the 140 MOA of internal adjustment in the mechanics of the scope and then the reticle has another 60 MOA in it if you wanted to work with it that way. I took the SWFA 10X it's currently wearing off another rifle since it'd have the same reticle and I knew the scope could take a beating. I put a magpul bipod on it and that's just because that's what I've got on all my guns now and so far I'm a big fan of them over the Harris models I've tried. I like that the stock folds up for easy transport and with it being a 16# gun with 26" barrel that's a really nice feature. Other than slapping a scope and bipod on the rifle I really have no plans to modify or do anything special with the rifle.

Factory Ammo:
    Obviously a major expense in this particular caliber is factory ammo. I personally didn't have any intention of paying those kinds of prices per round but I wanted to see how factory loads shot, and also wanted to take every measurement possible off their ammo that I could so I could copy them if they did shoot well. I bought a box of Federal Gold Medal Match in 250gr, and 300gr, Prime 300gr, Hornady 285gr, and Fort Scott 250gr. Those are hands down the most expensive rounds I've ever bought in my life. My preference for a long range bullet has always been heavy for caliber, but I figured this variety pack would give me a feel for what the rifle likes. During the break in period of the gun I figured I'd fire a 5rd group of each ammo to record their FPS, SD and ES. I setup about 60 yards off the target because I didn't even know if I'd be on paper and much to my surprise I was about right on so I just put up 5 rds groups of each of those factory loads mostly looking for velocity and not caring as much about accuracy.

Since I was out shooting my new gun I had to see what the difference was on steel with the Fort Scott vs a Matchking vs a Hornady ELD. I had to have a little fun with some steel targets and I was a little shocked to see how much more the Fort Scott bullets penetrated steel.

This picture has a Fort Scott head shot and a hornady on one shoulder with a matchking on the other. I don't remember what should was what bullet. This particular piece of steel is not AR500, but it is about 3/4" thick.
    UNLuYo9.jpg

KMTDnH2.jpg

Another hunk of non AR500 steel:
    MtsdsJy.jpg

Nh2jydu.jpg

The group to the left was Hornady. Top was Fed GMM 300gr. Center was Fort Scott 250gr, Right was Prime 300gr. Bottom group was Fed GMM 250gr.

Magneto Speed results below on a day about 32 degrees out:
    Fort Scott 250gr Ave Vel = 2937, SD = 12.5
    Fed GMM 250gr Ave Vel = 2839, SD = 18.6
    Fed GMM 300gr Ave Vel = 2540, SD = 14.0
    Hornady 285gr Ave Vel = 2815, SD = 9.6
    Prime 300gr Ave Vel = 2557, SD = 10.0

Reloading:
    The big thing I've been working and the biggest thing I was concerned about in general was how well the rifle would shoot and how many rounds was I going to have to shoot to get something that'd make me happy. Since the last time I worked up a load I had heard of the Satterlee 10 shot load chart and didn't really understand it. Even handloaded the 338 ammo is expensive enough I didn't want to waste ammo or barrel life so I looked into it more and more. The idea seems fairly simple with loading a single round at .3 grain increments but the part I thought was a mystery was the starting point of those loads since there's usually only 10. I grabbed my Sierra load data book and saw the highest load for the 250gr bullet weight and the H1000 powder was 100.1 I worked down 30 rounds from there and really in hindsight I should have gone even further down because nearly every other reloading manual shows a max load in the low to mid 90 grain range which is about where I started. The bullet I decided on was the Fort Scott TUI 250gr. I've never shot machined bullets but a regular matchking is on sale for $.50 a round if you're lucky and these were twice that. I thought it'd be worth it though with my goal in mind of taking it out as far as I can find a range to support it. Because the bullets are so sharp I had to max out my bullet seating die and I got super lucky that they still fit in a magazine and were a touch longer than the factory ammo from Fort Scott. I loaded rounds ranging from 91.4 grains to 100.1, setup with the magneto speed, and starting shooting and recording the FPS. I took that information and put it on excel then started to do my best guessing of where these "flat spots" in velocity were located at.

eg2uAnW.jpg

I took some guesses at 92.4, 97.1, and 97.4 making 5 more rounds of each one with a Fort Scott 250gr. These were shot along with another 5rd group of the factory ammo for comparison and the pictures below show the results better than I could ever describe.

i64BEa2.jpg

n3HU9jh.jpg

I1GQHTW.jpg

tn3GwdH.jpg

Zl4s8cK.jpg

The results have amazed me, and I'm probably going to go through every precision rifle I have and do this test on them to see where the sweet spots are. In the mean time science class is over and I've got a very promising load to work up many more copies of and take to the range where the real data is going to be gathered. For now, science class is over and it's time to go shoot.

AklHngm.jpg

KTKsHJD.jpg

Y57Txvn.jpg

Currently I have exactly 85rds down the pipe and I'll update this thread as I get results from taking it out to distance.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Very nice post, can’t wait to hear back from more of your findings, can’t imagine shelling out for 338 right now jeez

Yeah it seems like everything about that gun & caliber is expensive. I knew I wouldn't bother with a new caliber without Lapua brass, and at $3 per piece I was not going to pay that for the 300 pieces I knew I'd want. When it went on sale for 0.80 per piece I jumped, then the next month I got the scope on black friday, then the next month was the reloading dies which are the most expensive set I've ever bought. This whole project is something I've been chipping away at for over 6 months and making payments. When I found that one hole group though, all of a sudden it confirmed that it was all worth it.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Talk to me about how you got Camo on your SWFA...(I have two of the x42 scopes and I love them).

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Talk to me about how you got Camo on your SWFA...(I have two of the x42 scopes and I love them).

That scope's home is on a savage 110fp 30-06 that I had hydrodipped a couple of years back. They guy who did it is a really good guy and for camo patterns I just asked him to use whatever he had laying around that he wanted to get rid of. He masked it off and then when it was done he clear coated it to make sure it had a fair chance at staying there. So far it's held up well.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Is that handguard factory? Arca swiss along the entire bottom has me drooling.

Everything on this rifle is 100% factory. All I've done is wipe it down, scope it and shoot it. The arca rail is a new one for me and I've never used anything like that before. For the time being the magpul bipod is doing a pretty good job.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Everything on this rifle is 100% factory. All I've done is wipe it down, scope it and shoot it. The arca rail is a new one for me and I've never used anything like that before. For the time being the magpul bipod is doing a pretty good job.

You can use that arca swiss cut for anything that really right stuff offers. I have a pretty nice fiesol tripod and a RRS ballhead. Makes for an incredibly solid platform besides prone. Im glad to see they added the feature from the factory. I basically have to buy those adapters for all of my rifles that i want to use in that ballhead.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    For my uses I really like just how flat the bottom of that rail section is. The bipod has done the job so far, but I can't say I've shot the gun much though either.

I'm starting to loose any sense of confidence that I'll ever see that SWFA 3-15x scope. It still hasn't arrived and now it's not even listed on the website. I'd still like to get my hands on that scope, and I'll give it till May, but I'm starting to look into other options. Looking for a scope that has 100 MOA in the internal adjustments narrows the field quickly.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I used to have a Savage 110BA in .338LM, and I just picked up a RPR in .308 WIN on Monday. It was so nice to pick up 200 rounds of nice Hornady ammo for $240 instead of $1000.

I loved that Savage, but just hardly anywhere to shoot a monster like that here in Indiana. If I lived out west, I'd consider another. Ballistics of that round are off the charts awesome.

Enjoy the rifle!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I used to have a Savage 110BA in .338LM, and I just picked up a RPR in .308 WIN on Monday. It was so nice to pick up 200 rounds of nice Hornady ammo for $240 instead of $1000.

I loved that Savage, but just hardly anywhere to shoot a monster like that here in Indiana. If I lived out west, I'd consider another. Ballistics of that round are off the charts awesome.

Enjoy the rifle!

I'm very lucky that I can go an hour north and be at a 1,000 yard range and an hour south and be at a 1,000 yard range. It's pretty amazing the power these 338 lapuas have, and I completely understand the love for the 308 too. I switched to 308 after years of doing handloads for my 30-06. I got tired of cranking the handle every time I wanted a round and it was a bitter pill to see federal gold medal match go on sale for under $20 per box delivered to me door. I'm never getting rid of my 308 just for that reason.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    After all this time waiting for the scope to come in I found out in the last week that the particular model I was looking at has been discontinued. They offered me the similar pricing on the MIL verison of the scope, but my brain is hard wired with MOA reticle/turret settings and I'm not changing all that for one rifle. I asked if there were any discount that'd be applied to any other scope or brand was told no. I'm not 100% sure how I should feel about all of that, but not the plan is to save for a Vortex Razor Gen 2 MOA reticle and quit fooling around. I'll keep my fingers on a deal for one of those.

Top Bottom