• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    A friend presented me a Ruger P 97DC that he wanted me to look over for him to make sure it was safe to shoot.
    I've never held one, but it's built much like any other DA/SA semi auto out there so I told him no problem.
    Well, I ran into a problem.
    Mag out-check
    Unloaded-check
    Pull slide back and remove takedown pin- check
    Here's the problem, the slide won't come off of the frame.
    I've tried decocking, nope
    Pulling trigger, nope
    There isn't much else, but the slide stops in battery and trigger operates both single and double action, but the slide will not budge forward.
    If you try to pull the slide back, it locks up on the frame and I have to hit the slide hard with the heal of my palm to get it to jump back into battery, but it still doesn't come off the frame.
    What can I do?

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Maybe this link will help? Hard to see in the video but looks like you press something down inside the frame when the slide is locked back. This was a super quick search, probably better videos out there.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    A friend presented me a Ruger P 97DC that he wanted me to look over for him to make sure it was safe to shoot.
    I've never held one, but it's built much like any other DA/SA semi auto out there so I told him no problem.
    Well, I ran into a problem.
    Mag out-check
    Unloaded-check
    Pull slide back and remove takedown pin- check
    Here's the problem, the slide won't come off of the frame.
    I've tried decocking, nope
    Pulling trigger, nope
    There isn't much else, but the slide stops in battery and trigger operates both single and double action, but the slide will not budge forward.
    If you try to pull the slide back, it locks up on the frame and I have to hit the slide hard with the heal of my palm to get it to jump back into battery, but it still doesn't come off the frame.
    What can I do?
    You let the slide forward some before pulling the stop if I remember correctly, might have notches onn the slide to line up.

I think the ejector needs folded down first.

It's been a long time though and I'm going by memory

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You let the slide forward some before pulling the stop if I remember correctly, might have notches onn the slide to line up.

I think the ejector needs folded down first.

It's been a long time though and I'm going by memory
    I think you're right about folding down the ejector. Not crazy about this guy's presentation but I think he does show that.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I think you're right about folding down the ejector. Not crazy about this guy's presentation but I think he does show that.

Well, that helped, as bad a presentation as it was.
    Between it and the advice you guys gave, I got the slide off by manually lowering the ejector.
    I have never seen this and would not have gotten it on my own.
    Thanks again Ingo!

KRN123060

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2023
    Noblesville
    Yep. That ejector step can be a frustrating learning experience. I bought a used one that had a bent one and I and sure that is because someone tried to force things.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yep. That ejector step can be a frustrating learning experience. I bought a used one that had a bent one and I and sure that is because someone tried to force things.
    I've been around firearms for more than 40 years now and I had never seen, nor even heard of this feature.
    Kind of wonky, but simple enough once learned.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Yes...with the Ruger P-Series pistols one has to push (flip) the ejector downward and out of the way for the slide to come off. Kinda funky working, but it works well for it's design.
    Overall, the P-Series pistols are great shooting pistols, they're remarkably accurate, they're reliable as heck, they're a tad on the heavy side for a polymer framed pistol, but they're also a life-long pistol if needed!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yes...with the Ruger P-Series pistols one has to push (flip) the ejector downward and out of the way for the slide to come off. Kinda funky working, but it works well for it's design.
    Overall, the P-Series pistols are great shooting pistols, they're remarkably accurate, they're reliable as heck, they're a tad on the heavy side for a polymer framed pistol, but they're also a life-long pistol if needed!
    I was intrigued by the design.
    I've disassembled many different semi-auto handguns but had not run across this, and doubt I would have figured it out on my own.
    It is a little wonky, but seems to work.

KRN123060

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2023
    Noblesville
    And you need to make sure it's down before putting it back together. It can jam things up. They seem to have a habit of flipping back up when they are apart.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I was intrigued by the design.
    I've disassembled many different semi-auto handguns but had not run across this, and doubt I would have figured it out on my own.
    It is a little wonky, but seems to work.
    My first P-Series pistol (back in 2010) was a P-97 DAO and I experienced the same headache the first time I took it apart to look it over...I ended up contacting a friend of mine in Ohio, who is a P-Series fanatic, and he explained it to me...crazy thing! I was a bit skeptical of the strength of the ejector, due to its design, but after 10+ years with reliable service and no hiccups, I'm comfortable with it!

Top Bottom