• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Since you already have a 4" GP100....I would keep the pre-lock S&W!!!

That being said...I've owned 3", 4", and 6" GP100's...and of them all I prefer, and still have, a 4" fixed-sight, full-lug GP100 in .357! I don't mind carrying a 1" longer revolver because the accuracy is much better, bullet performance is improved, and felt recoil is slightly less than with a 3" revolver!

Enjoy the Smith!

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    The GP-100's are real nice but the Smith's seem to get more value added to them as time goes by. I like them both and lean toward the Ruger but to trade, if it was me, no way.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Keep the pre-lock 686, it is a timeless possession to have in your collection. If you want to do "something" with it, have a custom action job done by a reputable gun smith like Sand Burr Gun Ranch - Denny Reichard. You will fall in love with the 686 all over again!!!

GGF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Any pre-lock Smith is going up in price faster than new model Ruger handguns.
    That may not make a difference with your decision, but I wouldn't trade it or sell it if I could keep from it.

..:yesway:

" ...leave the gun take the cannoli "

GGF

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    No way, especially since the 686-3 is one of the nice early ones with no MIM parts. And from what I've heard, any stock 686 will shoot smoother than any stock GP100, not to mention that the 686 (prelock especially) is worth more.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Although I love my Rugers I would say no. I would never trade or sell a vintage gun to get something new. Vintage will usually increase in value while a new gun will often decrease in value.

Keep the Smith, save up for the GP100 if need be.

Top Bottom