• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I get the hots for a new gun once in a while. Does this ever happen to you guys? LOL

I love my Shield and will be keeping it, but I've started obsessing about an LCR. I've always had a thing for revolvers and the LCR feels really good and seems to have a great trigger. Talk me out of this or tell me I won't be sorry. I'm thinking the .38 sp version as I don't think I want to shoot .357 out of that little gun.

harb7676

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Personally I am more of a s&w revolver fan. especially little J frames. I was wondering how the polymer between the cylinder and grip would do over time on the LCR.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have an LCR .357 and love it. Its almost always in my pocket.

Ive put several hundred rnds through it and I can tell you recoil is more of a push than a flip even with full house .357 rnds. it definately isnt a take out and shoot all day gun, but it doesnt really hurt to shoot either.

Ive only got about 100 .357 rnds through it but I can handle it no problem.

Infact my fiance took it as her EDC for awhile, I only got it back bc she started classes again and cant carry on campus. If she can handle it you can. ;)

As far as the polly frame is concerned Im not worried about it. In ~500 rnds it shows no signs of wear and I dont expect it to for a while yet.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    You'd likely be happy with it, its a quality firearm. I came real close to picking one up myself but stuck with the Taurus I already own.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I had an LCR and really enjoyed it. Ended up selling it to fund another purchase, but just because at the time, the LC9 had taken over pocket carry. I also really like the .38 version as it is lighter (about 3.5 oz) if you are planning to carry it. I'm not personally a big fan of .357 in a snubby for carry, but it's just my opinion.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I had one and liked it. I found that I prefered carrying a similar weight 9mm pocket pistol since it is much thinner.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Out of the box, the best double action only trigger I have felt. If I was going to pick one up, I would go ahead and get the 357. You can still shoot your 38's through it, and if you ever decide to sell it, being able to shoot two calibers versus one might make it a little more appealing.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I have an LCR in .357 and it is the best carry gun I have ever owned. It is small and light and easy to carry but packs a good punch. It is more accurate than you would expect for a snubby.
    I'd say go for it you can't go wrong.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    LCR is a decent gun. I would get the .357 because if you decide to sell it, it would open up more buyers. People who want to shoot .38spl could always use the .357 version.

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    LCR

They are both great guns, but I had better luck with the 357. One of the 38's I had started loosening up (ejector rod). I put locktite on it and basically locked the gun up and almost messed it up. The other 38 was perfect. Not surprisingly, the 357 is the stronger gun. I think it makes a better choice, even if you shoot 38 ammo.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I'm a big Ruger fan, but I had a S&W Bodyguard .38 with integral laser in my hands today and it felt great. (at Triple G in Greenville).
    It's only .8oz heaver and can handle +P loads.
    Shooting .357s out of guns this light is simply punishing, so the .38 is plenty in my opinion.
    But the opinions about resale above are pertinent (cause I don't think you'll keep the LCR).

Also, I didn't like how it felt when I closed the cylinder of the LCR. I don't know ... it felt cheap (don't know how to explain it).

Just at least get a feel for the gun and see.

picture.php

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I'm a big Ruger fan, but I had a S&W Bodyguard .38 with integral laser in my hands today and it felt great. (at Triple G in Greenville).
    It's only .8oz heaver and can handle +P loads.
    Shooting .357s out of guns this light is simply punishing, so the .38 is plenty in my opinion.
    But the opinions about resale above are pertinent (cause I don't think you'll keep the LCR).

Also, I didn't like how it felt when I closed the cylinder of the LCR. I don't know ... it felt cheap (don't know how to explain it).

Just at least get a feel for the gun and see.

picture.php
    I would like to try out a LCR but I carry a 642 with a spring upgrade and trigger smoothed...NICE. I can actually stage it. Looking over test results between .357 and .38 in a snubbie, I chose .38. The barrel is so short that the velocity between the two calibers is minimal while recoil is far greater in .357 than .38 and many find .38 uncomfortable to shoot. For resale I can see the attraction of having both. Just don't be like some that come to the range to qualify and shoot only .38 but carry only .357. Train like you carry...carry like you train.

ridetoslide

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I have owned a LCR .38 with the crimsom trace grips from the factory for a couple years. I really like it. Like the size, weight, caliber, fabulous trigger, and especially that laser. It's a very nice shooter, so much so that my wife has claimed it as her own and she doesn't get excited about guns like me! When I was looking for one I compared quite a few, and it boiled down to the LCR against a smith 442. My friend has a 442 so I tried it and liked it, but I love the ruger. You won't be disappointed.

ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I've cooled a little on the LCR. Thanks for all your help. Still haven't shot one, but I've handled them. They feel good to me, but I think I still lean toward Glock and S&W for protection.

Top Bottom