• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    I just bought an LCR, and haven't shot it yet, so I'm not qualified to give a really good opinion on it yet. It is a bit lighter than the 442 I used to own. Mine came with the laser grips, but I will likely be replacing these with the boot grips since this will be strictly for pocket carry. The Smiths do have a better selection of grips, the nylon hideout grips being my favorite. I do like that the LCRs front sight is replaceable, as my 442s was not. The trigger does seem a little easier on the LCR, although I've heard a good Smith or spring replacement can make a j frame pull much better. I honestly think the differences are pretty minor, and I enjoyed having the 442, and look forward to good service from the Ruger as well.

lipster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2012
    I went in to buy a S&W airweight, dry fired it, as well as the LCR.
    Walked out with the LCR. 75 rounds thru it, nice piece.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I have to agree with the trigger being better on the LCR's straight out of the box... I would also note, that even though I have always been a S&W adict, the little J-frame has a thin wedged grip on them and it seems to magnify the recoil from shooting the small light wieght revovlers, as the LCR has the same thick and flat backstrap grip as the SP101, which I would note is much easier to handle and better feeling under fire than the Smith's seem to be...

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I work part time at a range, have shot more than my share of light weight 38's and 357's, and have found the LCR to be one of the softest shooting pocket revolvers I have had the pleasure of putting a few rounds through.

lipster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2012
    Yeah, another thing about the LCR. It has a special Hogue grip that has a resiliant cushion insert under the web of your hand. The Smith has the metal frame under the web of your hand. Makes a softer felt recoil than the Smith.
    Oh, and did I say the trigger is beter? Well it is...

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    The LCR trigger is nice out of the box, but it comes with a price- a very weak return spring. I once owned an LCR, return spring snapped within a couple hundred rounds. Ruger made it right, but I just couldn't trust it. You'll also need to practice so as to not short stroke it. There's little spring to push to the trigger back, but enough to reset the cylinder hand. Training can overcome this problem.

That event brought me to the purchase of a M&P340. I have zero cons to offer for the j-frame. :twocents:

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    The LCR seems like a nice piece, but a S&W model 442 is actually a bit cheaper. As is the 638, the 642 and the Bodyguard.

So I would have to call it draw 'cause I sort of love Smith revolvers.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I had a S&W 642 that I wish I wouldn't have sold. It was lightweight, reliable, and it looked good. If I ever buy another snubby it's gonna be a 642.

DSCF0079.jpg

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I had a S&W 642 that I wish I wouldn't have sold. It was lightweight, reliable, and it looked good. If I ever buy another snubby it's gonna be a 642.

DSCF0079.jpg
    This has been my daily carry for many years. I can't recommend it too highly. BTW, I love the Crimson Trace grips.

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    One thing I like about the LCR is that it can be had with the Big Dot sites, is there any way to put these on a Smith?

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    One thing I like about the LCR is that it can be had with the Big Dot sites, is there any way to put these on a Smith?

The j frames do not have interchangeable sights. Another benefit to the LCR.

The LCR is lighter, better trigger, and due to the grips easier to shoot. Less percieved recoil. Owned both, j frame is gone.

Caldad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    I work part time at a range, have shot more than my share of light weight 38's and 357's, and have found the LCR to be one of the softest shooting pocket revolvers I have had the pleasure of putting a few rounds through.

I love my LCR! It's my go to for cc.

While I agree on the statement above about it being "soft shooting" ...I had bought 10 boxes of Fiocchi 38Spl that were on sale (so I could reload the brass after firing) that are so hot they kill my hand after only a couple rounds. I've shot +p with the LCR that had little recoil (the Fiocchi wasn't +p)... I'd just stay away from the Fiocchi stuff no matter what you get... I guess the Italians like it hot. I finally finished off the last box yesterday, and the web in my right hand is swollen and sore from about 30 rounds. Also, the Fiocchi stuff is all over the target. I don't know if it is me anticipating the pain of shooting the stuff.

The LCR is a dream to shoot, and very accurate with my reloads.

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    LCR is the way to go. Light, reliable, American made, best trigger ever on a revolver IMO. You will forget you have it on you.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The LCR trigger is nice out of the box, but it comes with a price- a very weak return spring. I once owned an LCR, return spring snapped within a couple hundred rounds. Ruger made it right, but I just couldn't trust it. You'll also need to practice so as to not short stroke it. There's little spring to push to the trigger back, but enough to reset the cylinder hand. Training can overcome this problem.

That event brought me to the purchase of a M&P340. I have zero cons to offer for the j-frame. :twocents:

Great gun but at $800 to $900 its out of reach for many people.

Top Bottom