• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NickL45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    I'm considering buying a Ruger LCR in either 357 or 38. I'm planning on using it with the Hogue Tamer grips and the front night sight.

Thoughts on the LCR? in 38 or 357? Reviews? Experiences?

Lobo

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Are you going to use it for pocket carry? If so, the Hogue Tamer grip is a bit sticky for inside the pocket. I've owned an LCR with the Tamer grip, and didn't care for the stickiness or the finger grooves.

I now own an LCR with the shorter boot grip and front night sight. The boot grip is smooth polymer on the sides and rubber on the front and back. Doesn't stick in the pocket, and conceals easier than the Tamer grip. I think that the LCR with the boot grip and front night sight is the best pocket revolver out there.

I bought the .38 LCR before the .357 was available, but I think I'll stick with the .38. Honestly, .38 +P ammo kicks quite enough in a 13.5 ounce gun. I don't think I'd care for touching off a .357 in an LCR.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The disadvantage of the .357 on the LCR is about 4 ounces. That is the extra metal in the cylinder and the "Tamer" grip, which might be hard to get out of a pocket.

I think I would go for the LCR-BGXS model. This is the .38 with XS Sights. I would think that .357s would be too much of a handful in that light guy.

Any other revolver, I don't think weight is as much of a factor and agree about .357 making the most sense.

Edit: Looks like Lobo beat me with the same thoughts.

NickL45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    I've only been able to find one review of the LCR 357. It said it was very accurate firing 357 ammo, hitting point of aim. However, it said when firing 38 ammo through the 357 was producing low hits. The reviewer said the 357 rounds with the tamer grips was manageable, but not pleasant. I was just trying to decide if the extra recoil, size, and weight was worth it for the extra power of a 357. If I'm going to carry a 38, I'll get the 38 model.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I have the .38+P version...and installed an XS Sights Tritium front night sight myself. Honestly, I would stick with the .38+P...there's plenty of punch, especially with CorBon 115 grain rounds. Scoring accurate hits, with somewhat less power, is more important than a heavier round in my book. I like the light weight and accuracy that the LCR in .38+P provides.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've been looking at the LCR .357. I'd like to have some range time with the LCR .357, the Taurus 650 CIA, and a S&W 640. Been looking at the LCR in .38, Taurus 850, and S&W 442. For the price the Charter Arms Undercover doesn't look too bad as a backup. If I could, I'd just buy them all .

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I had a S&W 340SC (11.4oz) that was capable of running .357mag but I never did, what Im trying to say if I had to do it again I would pick a .38scp+P only hangun as in my case I take been able to control my shot placement rather than raw power.

Last edited:

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I have the .38+P version...and installed an XS Sights Tritium front night sight myself. Honestly, I would stick with the .38+P...there's plenty of punch, especially with CorBon 115 grain rounds. Scoring accurate hits, with somewhat less power, is more important than a heavier round in my book. I like the light weight and accuracy that the LCR in .38+P provides.

Amishman, how hard is it to install the XS sight?

OP I would go with the .38, you really don't gain much with .357 out of a short barrel IMO

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I cant say much about the .357 model since I have not fired one, but I have shot a couple in .38 and think it is a great gun. I really liked the trigger and I think it would make a great carry gun.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I really love the options that an Auto gives you with more rounds and reloaded, etc. There is something to be said for a gun that will function fine, when all five rounds are blown through the coat pocket you are carrying it inside, if things had to start rocking covertly. :D

NickL45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Thanks for all of the input. I do plan on carrying inside the pocket with a holster. I'm probably going to go with the 38.

Will0369

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Westfield
    Gentlemen, my experience (both sandboxes) has taught me that recoil is really only noticeable when you are shooting v-rings for a shiny badge that goes on your chest. When things start moving at 200 miles an hour, you are more than likely going to take a high grip and squeeze off 5 rounds as fast as you can. That being said, I think at 3 to 10 feet all of us can hit the black of a silhoutte. So if your stress firing, and you will be, wouldnt you want a .357 smoking the ******* who drew on you in the kidney's, gut, shoulder, neck, and lungs; or do you wanna get hit in all those places tryin' to pull off a mozambique drill for the first time in your life with a .38?

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    In that length barrel, .357 isn't worth the noise, recoil, and flash. Not to mention the .38 will be more comfy in the pocket. I owned an all steel .357 snub, and even that heavy beast kicked like a mule, so I can't imagine a lighter one in the same caliber.

Cratchelow

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    I have had both.Didn't care for the LCR 38 but love the 357.Shooting 38's and 38 plus p is a dream through the 357,with the extra few ounces.I have the front night sight and it helps a lot.Either way,you'll never find a nicer double action trigger,period.Shooting 357's is no worse than plus p through the 38 version,btw.

Collin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Greenwood, IN
    38 + P is super light, great for summer carry. I feel fine with that load, though I love .357... As stated above - trade off is a few extra ounces for beefed up cylinder. Overall, good gun and a regular carry choice for me in the summer.

I'd also take a look at the Smith choices in that size. Few options at the same price point. Also, the M&P .357 is bad ass... but expensive.

Best wishes!

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    I just can't see buying the .38 and limiting yourself when you can get the .357 for pretty much the same price and its weight difference really isn't all that much. I have shot both and own the .357. IMO it is much more comfortable to shoot with .38s than the .38 only version and 125gr PDX1 .357 hollow points are very manageable and is what I carry in it. I did shoot a box of 158gr Black Talon .357s out of it and that wasn't really pleasant. I didn't see much differences in accuracy between .38s and .357s out of my gun.

Top Bottom