• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Well the "brown" truck arrived today and my son and I put the goodies in the rifle. Volquartsen Hammer and recoil buffer. Power Custom mag release and bolt catch in titanium.

Everything went together very easy and true to the testimonials the trigger is light and smooth. Buffer quiets the action. The bolt catch and mag release are awesome additions, nice to hit the lever and drop the mag and pull the bolt back and have it release.

I just noticed (after 35 years) that the trigger spring hole is drilled at an angle to the trigger, possibly they have to angle the drill to machine the hole in that area? It makes the spring button push at an angle to the trigger.

Thanks to all for their tips!;)

We both shot two five shot groups at 75 yards. We could group 3 of 5 together in about 3/4 on an inch or less, but had fliers that widened it out to about 2.5 to 3 inches.

We shot these with Remington 525 value packs. They're certainly not of premium quality, seems we run across some that don't have primer material in them. Good for plinking though.

Which brings me to another question:

What kind of results could we achieve with say Wolf match 22's?

Last edited:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    After reading this thread I decided it was time to replace my hammer (my 10/22 is only 32 years old). WOW what a difference. Next on my project list is removing the mag discount and getting a better trigger on my 22/45.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    After reading this thread I decided it was time to replace my hammer (my 10/22 is only 32 years old). WOW what a difference. Next on my project list is removing the mag discount and getting a better trigger on my 22/45.

We need to get together so you can show me how to install my upgrades.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    The upgrades we did are pretty straight forward. All the pins slide out without being driven. The only thing different on the Volquartsen hammer was the bushings and the spacer washers on the reinstall. Washers go along side the hammer then the bushings go on. Also, they provide a new trigger spring. Pay attention to how everything comes apart. Took us less than 20 minutes. This is the first time the action was apart, remarkably clean for it's age! (35 yrs)

There was a burr on my trigger on the surface where the hammer catches, I stoned that out before reinstalling.

I'm just tickled with the performance now.

Hotwired

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    I havent searched yet, but is there a tutorial on smoothing out the original parts for those of us that do not have alot of cash?

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I havent searched yet, but is there a tutorial on smoothing out the original parts for those of us that do not have alot of cash?

there is on rimfire central. basically all you do is grind off a tiny hump on the hammer and you get the same results as the aftermarket hammer, I'll find the link and post it.

edit: heres a couple threads

Trigger Group Modifications - RimfireCentral.com Forums

this one is far more educational and exact.

Stoning the Hammer - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Last edited:

Hotwired

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Well after reading how to lighten the trigger pull I think I will just buy a replacement instead of trying it myself. I would probably mess it up and ruin the original hammer. I can just see me breaking my toy and not being able to play with it.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Well after reading how to lighten the trigger pull I think I will just buy a replacement instead of trying it myself. I would probably mess it up and ruin the original hammer. I can just see me breaking my toy and not being able to play with it.

I just took out my hammer and took it to my buffer and after only buffing the contact points the trigger is noticeably better. it is crisper and breaks cleanly, so I saved $40 and it only took a couple minutes to polish it so it's a win in my book.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I just took out my hammer and took it to my buffer and after only buffing the contact points the trigger is noticeably better. it is crisper and breaks cleanly, so I saved $40 and it only took a couple minutes to polish it so it's a win in my book.

I'll show you my two left thumbs:( ... I was never good with power tools.

moongovernor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Columbus
    I just bought a 10/22 carbine at Wally World! I love this gun - it's been incredibly accurate!

After reading through this thread, I really want to get the Volquartsen bolt release! The trigger pull doesn't bother me (is it possible the newer 10/22 triggers aren't as stiff?), but I'm thinking I might change out the hammer anyway.

I'm looking at the combo kit on midway and noticed that it doesn't come with the bushings and trigger spring that the sold-separately hammer kit includes. Will I need the Volquartsen bushings and trigger spring?

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    I just bought a 10/22 carbine at Wally World! I love this gun - it's been incredibly accurate!

After reading through this thread, I really want to get the Volquartsen bolt release! The trigger pull doesn't bother me (is it possible the newer 10/22 triggers aren't as stiff?), but I'm thinking I might change out the hammer anyway.

I'm looking at the combo kit on midway and noticed that it doesn't come with the bushings and trigger spring that the sold-separately hammer kit includes. Will I need the Volquartsen bushings and trigger spring?

I didn't buy the combo kit because I was unsure of what to do with the bushings. Do you reuse the original bushings? Do you buy new ones separately?
    Buying the hammer with the bushings, it came with shim washers that I put on each side of the hammer. The new hammer is narrower than my original. Also Volquartsen's bushing design is different and possibly better. Part of the bushing goes all the way thru the trigger with a stepped washer that fits over the other side instead of the two equal bushings in the ruger trigger installed from each side.

Disclaimer: I'm not a guru on the subject by any means!

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I didn't buy the combo kit because I was unsure of what to do with the bushings. Do you reuse the original bushings? Do you buy new ones separately?
    Buying the hammer with the bushings, it came with shim washers that I put on each side of the hammer. The new hammer is narrower than my original. Also Volquartsen's bushing design is different and possibly better. Part of the bushing goes all the way thru the trigger with a stepped washer that fits over the other side instead of the two equal bushings in the ruger trigger installed from each side.

Most aftermarket trigger (or trigger and sear) kits that I've seen need the bushing (or shim) kit too. My power custom parts had a bushing kit as well. Some kits may include them, others will require a seperate item, you'll just have to check the kit's details when you get them.

moongovernor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Columbus

Thanks for the info!

Did you end up using the trigger spring that comes with the hammer kit?

moongovernor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Columbus
    Most aftermarket trigger (or trigger and sear) kits that I've seen need the bushing (or shim) kit too. My power custom parts had a bushing kit as well. Some kits may include them, others will require a seperate item, you'll just have to check the kit's details when you get them.

Thanks!

I checked out the prices on midwayusa.com and by the time you buy the kit and then the bushings separately, you're only saving about $2. And the kit doesn't include the trigger spring that the hammer kit by itself includes either, so it's probably a wash. I'm beginning to think I may as well buy them separately.

Is midway a good place to get these 10/22 parts? Are there other places people like to shop?

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    if you guys want to possibly save some $$$ you can send me your stock hammer and I'll buff it for you for free. if you like it great and you saved yourself $40 if not then buy the new hammer.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Only read the first page but. . . .

The factory mag release sucks. So I gotta replace it.

A little background on the gun: Likely bought new around 35 years ago. About 5 years later my dad had a weaver mount installed and bought a weaver 2.5X7 wide angle scope for it. After a period where the weaver was on another rifle, last year I reinstalled it on the 10/22.

Going to try to go to an Appleseed with my 12yo, and he shot the AQT target at 25 meters out at the farm last week. He was close on the 400yd target, surrounding it but not scoring. He scored 115 on his first and only attempt. I've never liked the trigger and looks like there is a solution that doesn't cost more than a rifle!

Hopefully we will make it into a competiter with a few upgrades. Still want to keep the original appearance so no new stocks or barrels.

Sounds like a good old gun. If you really want a bunch of informed input with BS held to a minimum, try rimfirecentral.com Nemohunter does rechambers on factory bbls that will shoot with the best aftermarket bbls out there. Good bunch of guys there and advice is always free. Sometimes the parts are too. Especially if its for a kids gun.:yesway:

link: RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community!

Top Bottom