• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Yeah, my 597 wasn't that great. It's been almost ten years since I've owned it though so maybe I just had a bad one. The bad accuracy was the part that really just killed the rifle for me. I've considered buying one again, but in 22mag because they're one of the few making a semi auto 22mag these days.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'd like to get my hands on a savage TR 22lr. I held one at Dicks Sporting Goods and it was the most comfortable 22lr I've ever held. I think it'd be fun to reach out with a 22lr just for kicks, but I know eventually I'll get tired of a bolt action 22lr and want to put some lead out quickly.

YankeeDollar

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    gentle-ben

I totally agree with Philagothon; the CZ452 or Ruger 77-22 is the keeper.
    Check the classified adds; there are many 10-22 for re-sale, but not
    many CZ452, 77-22, or other good quality bolt-actions on the re-sale market!!:):)

hidesert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    My depatment uses the 10/22 for deer and small animal dispatch. I am the division armorer who services everything. I have had several over the past 23 years of my own. I polish the internal for the FCG on my guns.

The one I have since 16 has taken major abuse. It has a Choate pistol grip full stock on since I got it that lightens up.

I have another with the standard out of box stock that has been modified. The front of the stock has been chopped at the barrel band stop. The barrel channel hogged out about 1 inch from the receiver so the barrel floats. The receiver was paper bedded and the stock was partially sanded and green stain with the original brown makes it a camo effect.

Scope, cheekpiece, and hopefully a suppressor soon should make it some fun. The ARMS #5 base has been removed to just the Burris Z-rings.

I have a cutdown version of the stock so my 10/12 year old girls can shoot it.
    f099.jpg

Last edited:

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    I have owned a Rem 597, extremely accurate gun.... but couldnt feed rounds to save its life. I could shoot the cap off a gatorade bottle every time I did my part.. but take five shots... FTL....take three shots...FTE....:dunno: Sold it

Now looking to get a 10/22 or Marlin as well... leaning towards the 10/22. My cousin has one, and it is an excellent shooting gun. Plink popcans at 100yds all day... :ar15:

dcary7

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Maybe it's because I'm an old fart but IMO it's the mostly the shared memories that become attached to it that turn "just another old [blank]" into a cherished "heirloom".

Whatever you choose, spend the time with your kids doing things together with it and building those, and it'll be one, I'll betcha.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Maybe it's because I'm an old fart but IMO it's the mostly the shared memories that become attached to it that turn "just another old [blank]" into a cherished "heirloom".

Whatever you choose, spend the time with your kids doing things together with it and building those, and it'll be one, I'll betcha.

Kind of like the most valuable gun in our house.

A Sears Model 1.

Top Bottom