www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    ^^^^ this.

That Blackhawk axiom stock is what I used for both of my kids. Ugly as sin but fully adjustable and removes all the weight up front.

Then when they are big/strong enough you put the wood stock back on. (And they have a solid rifle for life)

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    A 10/22 is an ideal starter if your kids are big enough to properly shoulder the rifle. You may want to look into a shorter replacement stock or an adjustable stock.

Ruger does have a "compact" sized wooden stock that works very well with youth. What I've done is purchase their "modular" polymer stock with all the inserts to fit people of different sizes.

Some people say that a bolt action is safer as a starter rifle because you can single load the rifle. Same is true for a 10/22. You can either leave the magazine in the rifle and single load or single load the magazine. Either way, your kid gets the benefit of learning how to properly manipulate the goofy 10/22 bolt hold open/release mechanism.

However, the biggest benefit of using a 10/22 is that they learn proper trigger control since there is no bolt hold open on the last shot, they get to squeeze the trigger to fire the round in the chamber, trap the trigger, then slowly release the trigger to reset, before squeezing the trigger again.

What's not to like about a 10/22 as a training rifle?
    Well said. I don't agree that a bolt action is better to teach a new shooter. Better to let them focus on fewer manipulations of the firearm starting out. Just my opinion and only worth the price paid.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    The 10/22 was the Barbie doll of rifles before the AR threatened it's status. It may still be the leader. At one point of the addiction I had 12 of them. Back then you could occasionally find them on sale for about $130 at Galyan's. Always had after-market parts for guns I didn't have....yet. Several of them had custom painted stocks done by a guy near Seymour called Tuck. He moved to Alabama and saved me a lot of money. Sadly, I have no pics of his work or my guns. I've sold a couple here, and given a couple to a grandson and a nephew. I'm now down to two 10/22 magnums, two lr models, and a Charger. One lr model and the Charger have been converted to .17HM2. The other lr is a "WalMart special" with internal mods and a stainless Green Mountain sporter barrel. It has a holographic optic and is a hoot for shooting steel. All the rest have scopes. One of the magnums is .22 WMR/.17HMR convertible just by switching from the Green Mountain WMR barrel to a Clark Custom HMR barrel. It shoots very well in either caliber and has taken it's share of prairie dogs. The other magnum looks stock but has the usual internal mods. It doesn't get shot much. I was lucky to be seriously into 10/22s when magnums were still in production and parts for the .17 cal conversions were readily available. Misinformation and the rumor mill killed all that.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I took a stock 10/22 that I inherited from my Dad. I added a 18" Green Mountain Target Barrel, a Yukon Extreme Stock and a Hornet "Red Baron" Target Trigger Group. It has a 3 pound crisp trigger pull, a reworked slide stop and an extended magazine release. It came out really nice and shoots great.
    xLhSTYL.jpg

Thegent219

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2020
    Hobart
    Its so great to see what everyone is doing to there 10/22 ! Hopefully all this beautiful 10/22 will help everyone decide to build there own custom setup!

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    A 10/22 is an ideal starter if your kids are big enough to properly shoulder the rifle. You may want to look into a shorter replacement stock or an adjustable stock.

Ruger does have a "compact" sized wooden stock that works very well with youth. What I've done is purchase their "modular" polymer stock with all the inserts to fit people of different sizes.

Some people say that a bolt action is safer as a starter rifle because you can single load the rifle. Same is true for a 10/22. You can either leave the magazine in the rifle and single load or single load the magazine. Either way, your kid gets the benefit of learning how to properly manipulate the goofy 10/22 bolt hold open/release mechanism.

However, the biggest benefit of using a 10/22 is that they learn proper trigger control since there is no bolt hold open on the last shot, they get to squeeze the trigger to fire the round in the chamber, trap the trigger, then slowly release the trigger to reset, before squeezing the trigger again.

What's not to like about a 10/22 as a training rifle?
    It seems the argument is that a single shot bolt action requires a much more deliberate and detailed process between shots, with attention required to multiple steps. This extra effort not only teaches the functions and allows more time for thought but also less opportunity for rushed/impatient or mishandled shots.

More “what to do” and less “pew pew pew,” I guess. I still like the 10/22 though. As someone suggested, maybe just do both. :cool:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Lots of you guys sure mount your scopes really far to the rear. Have you not shot prone?

I can't get my scopes set far forward enough. I've thought about having custom rings made.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Lots of you guys sure mount your scopes really far to the rear. Have you not shot prone?

I can't get my scopes set far forward enough. I've thought about having custom rings made.
    I hear ya. I had to get a rail that extends an inch or two over the barrel.

I dont think this is the one, but like this

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Anybody tried the Pike Arms bolts? I was thinking about having my bolt sent off for accurizing (captured firing pin, bolt squaring, etc) and realized with shipping and hassle, its not much more to just buy a new bolt that has already had the work done. I saw the Pike Arms and it looks decent for the money.

Anyone?

While the CT-Precision place will do everything you want, keep an eye on Kidd for a bolt sale. They've had fully worked bolts for as little as $99.

If in a $ pinch, you can do a lot of things to your bolt yourself.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    While the CT-Precision place will do everything you want, keep an eye on Kidd for a bolt sale. They've had fully worked bolts for as little as $99.

If in a $ pinch, you can do a lot of things to your bolt yourself.
    Thanks. As soon as I get home from the business trip that wont end (I had to buy clothes tonight) I have a pike arms waiting for me.

Worst case, Ive got a spare bolt for a Kidd receiver build. :):

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    One of my 10/22s has a Volquartsen carbon fiber .17 HM2 barrel which is drilled and tapped for their cantilever scope base. The base was intended to extend back over, but not attached to, the receiver. I mounted the base "backwards" so it extended farther forward and put a 2-7 Burris pistol scope on it. Worked great with the long eye relief of the pistol scope. I've since turned it back around and mounted a rifle scope on the gun. Not sure VQ still makes the cantilever base but it was a great option for mounting a scope in a "scout rifle" position.

Edit: Mine is not a takedown but this will give you an idea what the base looked like. https://volquartsen.com/departments...-lightweight-barrels-for-ruger-10-22-takedown

gryphnrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 29, 2016
    Kendallville
    I need to take mine apart the mags are sitting right anymore it has been with my dad for over 5 years and he won't admit it but It was his favorite shooter. He is an old school wood stock only type guy and was seriously mad at me when I put the archangel marauder stock on it back over 10 years ago. Anyways love this old boy forgot how much the last years living in town not being able to shoot enough
    ****just found out this stock is called the archangel nomad now****

Attachments

• OG1Pr8P9pj2loy7gOAgt-vKGS1VTkTWsG3lQ8nZOLR4.jpg
      OG1Pr8P9pj2loy7gOAgt-vKGS1VTkTWsG3lQ8nZOLR4.jpg
      23 KB · Views: 19
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom