• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tobryan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Lafayette
    Had a brand new Ruger bolt 77/17 and it didn't even sniff what my Marlin or Savage will shoot. Sold it the next month. Keep in mind, it's only one gun of millions for Ruger, but I consistently hear that the Savage and Marlins are all good. The Ruger was a great looking weapon, but not so hot when the shootin began.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Prolly not as accurate as the savage. Much more prone to out of battery firing. They quit making them for a reason. I might consider the volquartsen version but a Ruger original or someone's homemade conversion, I'd avoid.

Dss21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    I have not shot the 10-17mag but I have shot a 10-22mag. It was reliable and reasonably accurate. I would guess the Savage on average to be more accurate. I dont know that it is fair to compare a Ruger semiauto to a Savage bolt action though.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Ruger never put the 10/17 HMR on the market. They came close enough that it was included in the owner's manuals but the 10/22 magnum started having issues with breaking bolts and Ruger dropped the magnum and the planned 10/17 as well. I have a 10/22 Magnum converted to .17 HMR and it shoots right along with our .17 HMR CZ 452s. It required some tuning of recoil and hammer springs and a couple of different barrels before I got it functioning and shooting to my satisfaction. With a fluted Clark .920 barrel, it has shot a couple of full magazine (9 shot) 100 yard groups which could be covered with a dime. Of course, that also takes a calm day with those tiny bullets.

The major difference between a 10/17 and a Savage bolt gun? The Savage is available! :)

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Ruger never put the 10/17 HMR on the market. They came close enough that it was included in the owner's manuals but the 10/22 magnum started having issues with breaking bolts and Ruger dropped the magnum and the planned 10/17 as well. I have a 10/22 Magnum converted to .17 HMR and it shoots right along with our .17 HMR CZ 452s. It required some tuning of recoil and hammer springs and a couple of different barrels before I got it functioning and shooting to my satisfaction. With a fluted Clark .920 barrel, it has shot a couple of full magazine (9 shot) 100 yard groups which could be covered with a dime. Of course, that also takes a calm day with those tiny bullets.

The major difference between a 10/17 and a Savage bolt gun? The Savage is available! :)

I own a Savage - and yes they are pretty dead on - even for someone like me. I love the 17HMR round. And I REALLY wish that Ruger had found a way to make the 10/17 - I would have loved that gun, I'm sure. That converted one from the 10/22 Magnum sounds like a lot of fun!

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    ....................... And I REALLY wish that Ruger had found a way to make the 10/17 - I would have loved that gun, I'm sure. That converted one from the 10/22 Magnum sounds like a lot of fun!

The toughest part of converting a 10/22M to .17 HMR is finding a 10/22M for sale that won't break the bank. Paid less than $300 for my first new one several years ago. Probably have $700-800 in it now and wouldn't sell it for twice that.

Top Bottom