• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Sunday WETSU and I decided to go for a ruck, practice some bushcraft, shoot a squirrel if the opportunity came up and practice some field radio comms.

Now we use the radios in our cars, and our HT's all the time when meeting up at the range, doing drills or FTX's, but I wanted to practice connecting up to my simplex repeater while in the field, and also try out a QRP hf antenna for some psk-31. I go over all the gear in this video in my group communications class, but we do not actually practice with this gear in that beginning level class.

Here is some video my testing, some tests failed. I did not spend a whole lot of time testing, I could have spent 6 hours in the field doing this and I will, I just wanted to throw some radio weight in my pack, get it set up quickly with a shelter run some quick tests then pack up and leave.

[video=youtube_share;CnCE9JKl44Y]http://youtu.be/CnCE9JKl44Y[/video]

I was off on my distance. I was able to contact my repeater at 17.1 while in my vehicle. here is the profile path, as you can see not quite line of sight.

profile-0904.cgi

Here is the profile path from our location in the woods. On a bluff above the river with the antenna 20-25 in the air. 18.4 miles.

profile-0904.cgi

Very similar profiles and distance, I was on an overpass when I made contact from my vehicle. I will further test this set up. It is pretty flat up here in N Indiana, from my simplex repeater range testing I can cover about a 30 mile circle around my home.

Links:

Tac-Comm carries Tactical Radio Carriers
    N9TAX rollup Jpole Amateur radio antennas
    Wolphi Link and Droid PSK Wolphi-Link interface | Wolphi - Mobile Software Development
    Argent Data Systems Simplex Repeater https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=98
    Par Endfedz Trail antenna Trail Friendly | LNR Precision Par EndFedz Antennas and QRP Transceivers

Well that wraps it up, great afternoon outdoors.

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    Sailor, I sure wish there were a few guys here in my neck of the woods that were squared away like you and WETSU. You guys rock. Thanks for the info and inspiration to push on.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Good call, keep in mind though that being able to comm just a few miles can be huge. Master the small stuff first. Though one guy in your group should be able to reach out regionally/nationally/internationally.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It was a good trip to the woods, beautiful conditions, idea really. Always good to get some dirt time, age sign, build a shelter, make a fire and eat in the woods. Coffee with ash is better than Starbucks.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I have a 4 element arrow take down yagi antenna I need to test to see if focusing my transmission would have connected me to my repeater at that location. Deploying it in the field is just a little trickier.

ISL State CO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    I've met Sailor a few times and event took his Em Comms class. Lot's a good information. I've been building up my radio equipment and pushing my guys to get their equipment squared away. I draw a lot from the information from the Em Comms class that I took. Thanks, Sailor. Keep up the good work.

irishanimal917

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The request for info was to Sailor. Thanks for the info, I'll look for the thread. I was under the assumption it was something you did normally. Thanks for the reply as well.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I do it is just that now that it is popular groups are taking the class and want the class closed to their group only. So I have not pushed any non group classes.

Top Bottom