• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So recently I saw an open Jeep accross a parking lot and had to check it out hoping to see a cool restoration. It at first looked like a CJ5 but getting closer I also saw Willy's features. But it wasn't either, it was a Mahindra Roxor.

However Fiat/Jeep is not happy that this is so cool.

So Mahindra could never get approval to ship as an on road vehicle but there are several web pages that describe how to get a UTV licensed for road use for around a $1000. As long as all lights were were working and proper plate was showing I can't imagine any cop having an issue with a "Jeep" clone in town. One article stated they were governed to 55 mph but I doubt if an original Willy's would do more than that.

What a BOV with the simple diesel they offer this could be...

Last edited:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    As a life long jeep lover and owner for the last 20 years. I'd love to have one, but damn I could just buy a street legal jeep for that price.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    As a life long jeep lover and owner for the last 20 years. I'd love to have one, but damn I could just buy a street legal jeep for that price.

I guess that depends on what one wants in a "Jeep". Many out there want that simple CJ5. They have to search for a rust bucket, pay $5000 for the privilege of have a place to start a full on restoration. I'm sure this would be a better start than some old rust bucket to build a crawler, BOV, or street rod. Heck I bet an individual owner could procure actual Jeep dog house to look the part and few would ever be the wiser.

If one is happy with street legal Jeep's they are not the customer for this...

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I guess that depends on what one wants in a "Jeep". Many out there want that simple CJ5. They have to search for a rust bucket, pay $5000 for the privilege of have a place to start a full on restoration. I'm sure this would be a better start than some old rust bucket to build a crawler, BOV, or street rod. Heck I bet an individual owner could procure actual Jeep dog house to look the part and few would ever be the wiser.

You have fair points. However if it's just a woods crawler for hunting or camping or even running around farm land or whatever you would still be cheaper off buying a real jeep.

I'm not saying I don't see a point to these things I'm just saying the price is my biggest problem with them.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You have fair points. However if it's just a woods crawler for hunting or camping or even running around farm land or whatever you would still be cheaper off buying a real jeep.

I'm not saying I don't see a point to these things I'm just saying the price is my biggest problem with them.

So as I read it, base price was $15k to fully loaded at a little over $30k what Jeep can I get for $15k? It has none of the smog crap to deal with and is a relatively simple machine with clone Dana 44 axles and the like. What are you comparing it too?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

You aren't buying a Mahindra for $5k either. They are closer to $20k for the most basic. Or were when they were being offered. They get close to $30k new with options. You can get a pretty decent CJ for that amount. Or a Razor, for that matter.

There's a Chinese knock-off as well, but it was never imported here. I saw a few in Qatar in the early 2000's. It looked very much like a Wrangler, but was still equipped with a carb and the proportions were not quite right.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1977/jeep/cj_5/101573796 $6500

There's a ton on autotrader, craigslist, jeep forums, etc.

That is the perfect ad to make my point, he us asking and likely will get $6500 for a 40 year old frame that one better look at closely because it has a fiberglass body that like rusted off. For $15k one could get a brand new start point. Obviously to each their own, but it is a very interesting option for fans of what an old Jeep can do while maintaining the lines. It also is way more understated than licensing other 2 up UTV's that would attract unwanted attention on road.

If you saw this with a couple of inches of lift and 32 tires on the street you likely would not look twice, (other than to admire it) but if you saw a Polaris or Gator you would be doing double checks to see if that should be on road...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That is the perfect ad to make my point, he us asking and likely will get $6500 for a 40 year old frame that one better look at closely because it has a fiberglass body that like rusted off. For $15k one could get a brand new start point. Obviously to each their own, but it is a very interesting option for fans of what an old Jeep can do while maintaining the lines. It also is way more understated than licensing other 2 up UTV's that would attract unwanted attention on road.

If you saw this with a couple of inches of lift and 32 tires on the street you likely would not look twice, (other than to admire it) but if you saw a Polaris or Gator you would be doing double checks to see if that should be on road...

...and it's 9k cheaper. There's pretty nice ones for $15k, but of course they are used...they are CJs.

The good news is when you're done with it, it'll still be a CJ and sell for a CJ price. The Indian knockoff will be used and will sell for...well, whatever they sell for.

If I wanted a Wrangler to drive to town and to off road with and a $15k budget, I'd buy a TJ. 4.0/manual. I'd also rather drive a real Jeep with some rust than a pristine Indian made knock off, but to each their own.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    ...and it's 9k cheaper. There's pretty nice ones for $15k, but of course they are used...they are CJs.

The good news is when you're done with it, it'll still be a CJ and sell for a CJ price. The Indian knockoff will be used and will sell for...well, whatever they sell for.

If I wanted a Wrangler to drive to town and to off road with and a $15k budget, I'd buy a TJ. 4.0/manual. I'd also rather drive a real Jeep with some rust than a pristine Indian made knock off, but to each their own.

I'm not big on knockoffs but this was intriguing. I figure in a couple of years these will be a couple of years old and only a few grand more than the $6500 Jeep. LOL

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I would add to this that one thing that is very interesting to the prep types is the super simple Diesel engine that is available that would be a major retrofit on an old Jeep. I have read there was a diesel available back in the day but the few that exist go for big bucks, usually to collectors...

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I've had some past experience with Mahindra and wasn't too impressed... If you want to buy a vehicle from the same guys that can't fix your Dell, OK...

So as I read it, base price was $15k to fully loaded at a little over $30k what Jeep can I get for $15k? It has none of the smog crap to deal with and is a relatively simple machine with clone Dana 44 axles and the like. What are you comparing it too?

$15k would buy you a TJ in pretty much showroom condition. There's not much "smog" on a TJ and they're pretty stupid easy to work on. I would much rather have a nice 20 year old Jeep than a new Mahindra anything.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    There are all sorts of eco regs on new road driving diesels, I wonder if they keep the off road designation they can get around those like farm machinery.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It is unfortunate that US automakers are blind to the demand for a stripped down, utilitarian, body on frame 4x4 that doesn't cast an arm and right nut.
    It isn't the automakers, so much as the government mandates. Airbags cost money. Pedestrian Safety precludes most "utilitarian" features.

I totally dig the Roxor concept. The price is laughable, for me. $15K is a sweet TJ, used JK, or a very nice resto-mod CJ. Heck, right in the middle of that price range is a fully restored flatfender.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    There are all sorts of eco regs on new road driving diesels, I wonder if they keep the off road designation they can get around those like farm machinery.

Nope. Offroad stuff has been running DPFs and SCR for a bit now. There might be some horsepower break at some point (like under 20hp?).

I totally dig the Roxor concept. The price is laughable, for me. $15K is a sweet TJ, used JK, or a very nice resto-mod CJ. Heck, right in the middle of that price range is a fully restored flatfender.

Indeed. When these things come up in automotive circles, I don't think people understand the market or they would be doing what they say they would do already.

I've driven ~400,000 miles in vehicles that cost less than $4k, combined, over the span of almost 20 years. If cheap and utilitarian is what a person wants, it can be bought everywhere.

People want new, for cheap, and good. Those things don't normally mix well.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Probably more to do with it not meeting safety regs, not being able to do highway speeds, etc. Automobiles also have a 2.5% import fee, so depending on what the duties are on UTVs that may play in.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Spent 15 yrs or so behind the wheel of CJ5s.

Have been beaten enough.

Wrangler 4 door or a freakin quad. Nothing in between.

5s are cute but that axle hop is brutal.
    20 yrs and itd be killer now.

Changing lanes on its own when hitting washboard at speed was exciting though.

Top Bottom