• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I need a knife I can carry while running to protect against dogs. I want a fixed blade that is sharpened on both sides, small enough to be light on the hip, short enough to stay out of the way, durable enough to resist sweat, rain, sleet etc (I run in all kids of weather). Also need to have a sheath that will fit on a belt or clip on my pants while running.

Must be under US$100, prefer under US$50—wife is not a fan, and is not amused.:spend:

Suggestions?:coffee:

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    Good idea. Is it strong enough to stab a German Shepherd size dog? Is it sharp enough to slice if necessary. Seriously, I only need this for dogs.

Any other suggestions?

What ever happened to a squirt gun with soapy water?? Where the heck do you run?? You might try the sog Mini-Pentagon, no sure about the sheath though, and I know cold steel (where is the duck'n'cover smiley when you need it?) makes some small push daggers as well... how about a stun gun? Same close range as a knife just as effective and a lot less bloody :dunno: I wouldn't want rapid dog blood on me :twocents:

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    that dog probable improves your workout. just rub a piece of meat on your leg and youll be in the best shape of your life.:D

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have 2 of those and I wouldn't trust them to slice. I've tried (maybe not hard enough) to sharpen the edge, with no luck.

Stabbing it will hold up.

This just barely meets your requirements...
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-45785-Applegate-Fairbairn-Covert-Serrated/dp/B000VX1FPK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1267842986&sr=8-1"]Gerber - Applegate-Fairbairn Covert Pocket Knife, Double Edge, 154CM, Serrated[/ame] - $99

316RVQQwvhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I found this looking for SS daggers
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/6-875-Stainless-Steel-Survival-Knife/dp/B002PLHY1U/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1267842489&sr=8-23"]6.875 inch SS Survival Knife w/ case[/ame] $4.50 (at that cost you could buy 2 in case it breaks when you need it.)

51zAC8KPPML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This might be closer to what you need, and probably a little better quality. I've never had a S&W blade break on me.
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-SWHRT9B-Black-Knife/dp/B000IXG44U/ref=pd_sim_sg_2"]Smith & Wesson SWHRT9B Black HRT Boot Knife[/ame] $16.57

21n5VJAdXfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This would be a winner in my book:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-River-Knife-2020-Russell/dp/B00180CYFA/ref=pd_cp_hi_2"]Columbia River Knife and Tool's 2020 AG Russell Sting Razor Sharp Edge Knife[/ame] $32.25

31pxl2QIaXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I don't know that you really want to do hand to hand combat with a dog fighting for his life while you are dressed in running gear. Pepper spray works just fine. I have used it and don't have a problem with the same dogs coming anywhere near me now.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I don't know that you really want to do hand to hand combat with a dog fighting for his life while you are dressed in running gear. Pepper spray works just fine. I have used it and don't have a problem with the same dogs coming anywhere near me now.

or you could do that first...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Try the Gerber Guardian...

Double edged knives take a little more skill to use...

On the subject of plastic knives I was given to types from the Cold Steel product line. While I was surprised at how well they work for puncture tools, they leave a lot to be desired as cutting implements.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Good idea. Have to re-think this. Have to admit, though, I almost relish the idea of kill that stupid dog. Alright, attitude check time.:rolleyes:

Thank you :ingo:ers!

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    I would go with pepper spray.. I have used it on big dogs before and they hate it. Shouldn't bother you after that.. Or maybe a expandable baton..!! They work too..!!!

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    On the subject of plastic knives I was given to types from the Cold Steel product line. While I was surprised at how well they work for puncture tools, they leave a lot to be desired as cutting implements.

Dad, be sure to take a look at the Cold Steel ones. I kinda remember seeing a deal about them on INGO some time not too long ago, but we weren't in the market yet. Anyway, there are a couple models on this page that would fit the bill: Nightshade Series : Fixed Blade (Cold Steel Knives)

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Here's a question my Dad (the OP) and I were debating, and perhaps you good INGO knifers will be able to answer it.

Is there any requirement that a knife be "open carried"?

Dad says he had talked to a cop at one point about carrying a knife for protection wihle running and was told that it would be okay as long as it wasn't concealed. I haven't found anything in the Indiana Code to that effect, yet, though. What say you folks?

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Here's a question my Dad (the OP) and I were debating, and perhaps you good INGO knifers will be able to answer it.

Is there any requirement that a knife be "open carried"?

Dad says he had talked to a cop at one point about carrying a knife for protection wihle running and was told that it would be okay as long as it wasn't concealed. I haven't found anything in the Indiana Code to that effect, yet, though. What say you folks?

I never heard that, I've carried all sorts and sizes of knives in my pocket and my belt in all sorts of public situations and never had an issue.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I never heard that, I've carried all sorts and sizes of knives in my pocket and my belt in all sorts of public situations and never had an issue.

+1, same here, I think I've heard of that being an issue in some states, but I've personally never had any trouble in IN, nor have I heard of anyone having a similar issue over a knife. Not saying it's not possible, just my :twocents:.

ARdysfunction

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Indy West Side
    Like others have already said go with the pepper spray for dogs when running.

I like Fox Labs, in a meudium cone. The stream style has a better reach but you have aim it more. (not good when your extremely fatiuged) Also I have seen on more than one occasion dogs travelling in pairs. I wouldn't want to try and take on two dogs with a knife. The pepper spray will be more likely to keep them at a distance where they can't get thier teeth in.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina

+1, same here, I think I've heard of that being an issue in some states, but I've personally never had any trouble in IN, nor have I heard of anyone having a similar issue over a knife. Not saying it's not possible, just my :twocents:.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

On the note of whether carrying a knife is the best approach for dog protection, I found this thread over on The High Road that seems to agree with the other posts in this thread suggesting pepper spray or a club/stick/baton instead of a knife.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I will just throw this into the mix. My experience and I had more than bit with stray dogs around here, is that a knife is hard to deploy on a dog unless he already has hold of you. A expandable baton is better but you still have to be quick, dogs are quicker than you think. Both of these methods work better on two legged creatures than four legged critters.

The OP didn't go into detail but I'm assuming that a dog has not taken him down like a deer in the field yet. They are probably coming up and trying to bite and back off and come at you again.

The best luck I have had is with pepper spray. You don't even have to hit the dog directly in the face with it, better if you do but it will still get there attention if you just get it up around their heads. Once they get hit with that stuff (good quality fox pepper spray) they break off and don't come back. I'm guessing that many of these nuisance animals have have experience with pepper spray and don't want another encounter with it. I have had dogs that run as soon as they see the can in my hand and that is the truth.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom