• ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The third winner of Iowa? LOL.

Shouldn't it be . . . Ron Paul wins Iowa--for now, until we count again.:laugh:

Hopefully this will push Iowa and other states to abolish caucuses. They are a laughingstock now.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    For now until the 4th recount then someone else will have them.

Let's not be disingenuous, Kirk. You know (or should know, with your oft-expressed disdain for caucuses) that this wasn't a recount, but a count of the delegates at conventions as opposed to the popular vote counted on election night and recounted in the following weeks in January.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Let's not be disingenuous, Kirk. You know (or should know, with your oft-expressed disdain for caucuses) that this wasn't a recount, but a count of the delegates at conventions as opposed to the popular vote counted on election night and recounted in the following weeks in January.
    That wouldn't play into Kirk's narrative.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

With respect, I disagree as to the characterization. The delegate election proves that the caucus system is . . . less than optimal. Put aside my numerous objections to the caucus system, we now have a third winner of Iowa. It undercuts the election and robs it of any authority it may have carried within the party.

Assume arguendo that the situation is reversed. Say Paul originally won and then a delegate election gave us Gingrich.

The caucuses provide a fertile ground of political shennigans. Abolish caucuses and implement primary elections in all 50 states. At least I hope Iowa will provide the impetus for the states to do so.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    Hopefully this will push Iowa and other states to abolish caucuses. They are a laughingstock now.

Honestly, the caucus system seems to make more sense than a primary. Why should people who aren't interested in showing up to the meetings held by private club have the say in who should be leading the club?

The only reason why some of the caucuses became jokes is because the people mismanaging them are jokes.

The only state that I'm aware of that truly awards its delegates based of primary voting results is South Dakota (pre-selected slates by campaigns themselves, state convention delegates don't decide it).

Indiana's Republican party rules, for example, say that more than 40% of its delegates are unbound and selected at convention. Indiana's primary rules could very well make us a laughing stock as we could have someone win the majority of the votes, someone else win more of the Congressional districts, and yet someone could pick up a few of the congressional districts plus the unbound delegates at convention (therefore appearing as the 3rd winner).

The primaries held in many states are just as much of a joke as you can vote in people directly to the state convention/caucus that may not have even shown up to a single previous party event. If not enough run for delegate slots, then after the fact the county chairman can appoint people as delegates at will (which the chairman's own candidate preference could likely come into play).

For now until the 4th recount then someone else will have them.

In case anyone is wondering, the 4th recount will be First Ballot at the RNC. These are the actual delegates going to Tampa, some some silly fake believe prediction of delegate leanings based on non-binding beauty contest voting that did not matter in terms of actual delegates. The delegates could turn, but so can more than 40% of our delegates determined after the Indiana primary.

With respect, I disagree as to the characterization. The delegate election proves that the caucus system is . . . less than optimal. Put aside my numerous objections to the caucus system, we now have a third winner of Iowa. It undercuts the election and robs it of any authority it may have carried within the party.

Assume arguendo that the situation is reversed. Say Paul originally won and then a delegate election gave us Gingrich.

The caucuses provide a fertile ground of political shennigans. Abolish caucuses and implement primary elections in all 50 states. At least I hope Iowa will provide the impetus for the states to do so.

With respect, if the comments aren't disingenuous, they are ignorant. I'd personally rather stick with disingenuous if it were me but if ignorant is your thing then you go girl.

The situation you describe could also play out in any primary state that has a good portion of unbound delegates (like Indiana) so I don't understand the point of faulting caucuses when it is most definitely a rules issue for both systems.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Honestly, the caucus system seems to make more sense than a primary. Why should people who aren't interested in showing up to the meetings held by private club have the say in who should be leading the club?

Because those people are forward deployed to Afghanistan or Iraq or away on business.

The situation you describe could also play out in any primary state that has a good portion of unbound delegates (like Indiana) so I don't understand the point of faulting caucuses when it is most definitely a rules issue for both systems.

And the primary states in which we now have three distinct winners would be?

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    Because those people are forward deployed to Afghanistan or Iraq or away on business.

As per some states' rules on primaries, absentee/provisional ballots aren't required to be counted in all circumstances.

And the primary states in which we now have three distinct winners would be?

When has any caucus state have three distinct winners? If you count the media running with stories that have no bearing on the process, then Iowa is your only example.

Winner #1: Mitt Romney was falsely declared the winner of the NON-BINDING beauty contest

Winner #2: After a recount of Romney and Santorum caucus goer preferences, Rick Santorum was the winner of the NON-BINDING beauty contest

Winner #3: Ron Paul supporters were appointed a very high percentage of the national delegates slots for Iowa

Turn off the MSNBC and think about it for a minute. Just because Rachel Maddow says there have been 3 winners (until we count again of course), that doesn't make it so.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    As per some states' rules on primaries, absentee/provisional ballots aren't required to be counted in all circumstances.

In those few primary states that do not require this then a legislative fix is easy to do, one cannot do this in a caucus. Caucuses are inherently unfair in this regard.

When has any caucus state have three distinct winners?

I'll take Iowa for the block and the win.

If you count the media running with stories that have no bearing on the process, then Iowa is your only example.

It was not the media. The GOP realized that the caucuses are a disaster that is why the GOP Chairman in Iowa resigned and proposals in other caucus states to replace them with a primary.

Top Bottom