RMR Bullets Announcement (long wall of text warning)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Got this from RMR in an email today and thought I'd share, since it is kind of relevant to the shortage situation in general.

Okay, I have a ton to update everyone on. This will likely be a long email so if you just want to see what is in stock go to the bottom of this email. If you want to know about order delivery times just keep reading. If you are concerned about price increases, please read this so you understand why we have to do it.

First, I have waited as long as I feel is safe to wait to raise prices. One of the things we cannot control in the bullet industry is commodity prices. Copper and lead prices fluctuate a bit but usually within a pretty good margin of error so we can set a price for our finished products and have some reasonable expectation to not have to change it. Usually, if there is a huge spike it tumbles right back down again to where we can manage. Well, since April the cost of copper has steadily risen almost every day. We are now paying about a $1.50 more per lb of copper than we were in April. Since we started manufacturing four years ago we have never seen copper get this high. We are currently going through about 40,000 lbs of copper each month. That means we are now losing about $60,000 a month in just the increase in copper cost. Lead has recently taken a small spike as well but I don't see it going as high as copper. That said, we are doing about 120,000 lbs of lead a month and a 15 cent increase per lb is $18,000. Anyway, this is a long way for me to show you why I've been forced to consider a price increase. In the end, it amounts to between $6-$8 more for us to produce 1,000 bullets. We've held on for about as long as we can. The copper spike does not appear to be slowing down. I will be changing prices on all our in-house products at the beginning of January. We have checked the prices of our competitors and it seems most of them have already more than taken advantage of the increase in demand. Our new pricing should still be considerably lower than most of our competition.

I'm giving you a few days to put in orders before I change the prices. This means we are going to get a TON of orders between today and the beginning of the new year. Please expect a long wait time for shipping on the orders placed between now and then. Especially if you order 115 or 124 FMJ RN. Those are currently about 12 weeks out.

Now, some good news is that we finally got another high speed 9mm machine running as of today. We purchased this new machine before Thanksgiving. The shipping company had it on the 3rd of December. They broke the leg off. They were trying to hide their mistake by just not contacting us and telling us they broke it. So, it sat with them for three weeks while we worried about where it was. We finally got it and it looked like this.
    mail

It took us a couple of days to fix the machine and get it ready for production. Anyway, because of the delays in shipping and the repair time, we lost about two million bullets worth of production. We were hoping to have the 115 and 124 FMJ caught up to at least November. It's probably going to take us couple of months but we will hopefully get the backorder times to under a month. If all goes well with the new machine, we will be back to shipping within a week by the end of March. I know how stupid that sounds. It's just the reality of where we are as a country right now. With this machine we will be able to produce 350k+ rounds each day and we will still be behind. Please understand that our delayed shipping times are not because we are lazy. It's all just crazy demand brought on by our prices and our willingness to take backorders. Just know that we are working tirelessly as well as beyond tired to get as much out as we can each day. I'm constantly working to increase our production capacity and our shipping times. We've got an amazing crew right now and they're kicking butt.

Now, an update for those of you who are worried about Joe and how he is doing after his house burned down. Aside from living in a hotel until he can get a new home, he is doing great. He has to miss a lot of work to take care of insurance issues but we are getting by. You guys donated way more to him than we ever expected and it's been a major help for him. He wishes to thank everyone for their generosity and their prayers and well wishes.

Now, here is the most recent shipping update. The dates shown are the day that the orders were placed. Those are the dates we are working on for each particular product.
    mail

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Actually placed my first order with RMR back in Nov. Had been using another bullet mfg'er for years but heard great things about RMR so placed an order. I got this same email - it's nice to see folks communicating absolute facts about supply and capacity.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Super interesting. Sounds like people waiting for "normal" ammo and component prices are going to be waiting a long time.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'll buy from them again when they are actually caught up. Until then its Hoosier Bullets, and Summitt City bullets. No 3 month delay for shipping with them

n9tkf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2018
    Just before the earth ends.
    X-Treme bullets is advertising they have bullets in stock ready to ship. Can't vouch for quality or shipping speed or prices from them.
    I have ordered from RMR in the past with no problems.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    X-Treme bullets is advertising they have bullets in stock ready to ship. Can't vouch for quality or shipping speed or prices from them.
    I have ordered from RMR in the past with no problems.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    So have I from RMR. That's the past now they are saying 12 weeks +. No thanks!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Speaking of other vendors. I wonder what is up with Berry's? I havent seen stock on their website for 9mm in months. And I even have a tool that checks the web page for each bullet type I use every 30 minutes and alerts me when there is a change. (e.g. from out of stock to available) I got one alert on ONE type in the last 2 months. Its like they arent even making 9mm right now. And looking around none of the resellers have any either. I found smaller shops here and there that might have a box or two of one kind, but thats it.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Speaking of other vendors. I wonder what is up with Berry's? I havent seen stock on their website for 9mm in months. And I even have a tool that checks the web page for each bullet type I use every 30 minutes and alerts me when there is a change. (e.g. from out of stock to available) I got one alert on ONE type in the last 2 months. Its like they arent even making 9mm right now. And looking around none of the resellers have any either. I found smaller shops here and there that might have a box or two of one kind, but thats it.
    I'd assume they're behind like most others.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Why post it up on the website when you are behind on production by several months to possibly even a year? Where I work, we get Berrys and Xtreme bullets in on a fairly regular basis. The 9mm versions always sell out within a day and the other calibers a day or two later. Then the shelves sit empty of reloading bullets until the next shipment comes in. The customer sees no reloading bullets and either accuses us of getting out of the business or wonders if their company of choice is even producing bullets. I see it all the time. I have been interested in guns/ammo since 2008 and I have never seen anything like the demand there is now.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Why post it up on the website when you are behind on production by several months to possibly even a year? Where I work, we get Berrys and Xtreme bullets in on a fairly regular basis. The 9mm versions always sell out within a day and the other calibers a day or two later. Then the shelves sit empty of reloading bullets until the next shipment comes in. The customer sees no reloading bullets and either accuses us of getting out of the business or wonders if their company of choice is even producing bullets. I see it all the time. I have been interested in guns/ammo since 2008 and I have never seen anything like the demand there is now.
    You are right this year is extreme. Even black powder stuff is sold out. Do Americans believe that the apocalypse is coming in 2021?

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    You are right this year is extreme. Even black powder stuff is sold out. Do Americans believe that the apocalypse is coming in 2021?
    There is a lot of fear driving people to purchase firearms, ammunition, and related accessories. It may be fear of crime, gun control, or just general uncertainty. For 2020, it was Covid 19 in March, rioting in May/June, the run up to the election in late summer/early fall, White House getting called for Biden, and Black Friday/Christmas shopping. I now see shoppers concerned with further gun control under a Biden administration and they are acting accordingly.

Ammunition was wiped out in March but reloading supplies took a little longer to take a hit. When people realized that the ammunition shortage would be here for a while, that is when Rocky Mountain Reloading and other Internet retailers selling reloading components began to take a real beating from concerned shoppers. I would say the real run on reloading components started from June onward.

Black powder stuff is sold out because we just had muzzleloading season here in Indiana. There may even be more pressure on those items because people see the year we have had and are buying extra just in case.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Interesting info, thank you for sharing. It's kind of amazing to hear the quantities of materials that they deal with expressed in lbs, and to see how the small increases in costs turn into real dollars very quickly when you're dealing with that kind of volume. I don't shoot a lot of FMJ, but I have ordered from them in the past, and they were great to deal with and delivered a solid product. I'm glad to hear that they are up and running with new machines and churning out even more components...more product going out the door is good for all of us right now.

Top Bottom