• Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Which brand?

Oh, you mean over all?

Get to work! Those poor .22's have no family for guidance and may grow into a rogue .44 without our care.

I have 14-16 Hi Standard pistols, 8-10 Hi Standard revolvers, half a dozen or so Winchester 74's, a dozen or so gill guns but only one Browning Tbolt left handed and one S&W K22 pre M17.

So, as you see, I have a lot more gun purchases in my near future...

I only keep the ones I deem worthy. :):

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I think I’m down to 6 now. I think I peaked at 12.

After having dozens in the past almost 3 yrs., I peaked around 15 at one time. :rockwoot:

I was in a frenzy to sell nearly all, trimming down b/c of trying to get lean for retirement 2 summers ago. :(
    I got down to 5. :)
    I'm back up to 9. :dunno:
    But, with 2 rifles to sell, I'll be down to 7.
    Then, sell another semi-auto pistol and I'll be down to 6.
    But, there is this Browning I've been chasing after for the past week. :rolleyes:
    I'll be up to 7 if I get it, and will sell a Ruger 22/45 and be back down to 6.

Does it ever end? :ugh:
    The addiction continues.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I have 15 rimfire handguns and at least that many rimfire rifles. A few come and go but there are a few that whether they get shot or not they will not be going anywhere anytime soon. Ruger 96/22, a couple of old Rossi pumps and a couple of 4 digit 10/22's just to start.

rmw250

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 28, 2014
    Kokomo
    I’m really wanting to start my 22 collection and just wondering what .22 pistols you guys recommend. Right now I have a browning buckmark and a Ruger sr22 ( and a couple riffles ). I’m really into wheelguns and plan to add a single six but curious what other wheel guns and semi autos are recommend.
    thanks

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I’m really wanting to start my 22 collection and just wondering what .22 pistols you guys recommend. Right now I have a browning buckmark and a Ruger sr22 ( and a couple riffles ). I’m really into wheelguns and plan to add a single six but curious what other wheel guns and semi autos are recommend.
    thanks

Taurus TX22 is a great pistol hold 16rds shoots everything LR that's normal velocity upto stingers.
    Ruger Wrangler I'm hearing good things about.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    thanks

The S&W 17 is probably the easiest to find for high quality 22 DA/SA wheel gun. I very much preferred the balance of the 4” 18 over the 17s. I don’t care for the forward weight of the full lug most 17s have. If you can find one, the Dan Wesson 15 in 22LR is a sweet revolver as well.

If you like to tinker, the Rugers Mks are the go to for semi autos. There really isn’t a limit on what you can do. Otherwise, it’s just sorta pick what you like. Lots of quality choices out there.

The TX22 is popular for the polymer guns right now.

rmw250

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 28, 2014
    Kokomo
    Although I’m not a big fan of taurus, I have read and watched some reviews on the TX22 and it definitely has my attention. I was actually surprised when 22 plinkster commented on it being one of his favorites. And yes, the Ruger Wrangler will definitely be a purchase I just haven’t ran into one locally around here yet. I might try to slide into rural king after work and get my hands on the TX and see what it feels like. Thanks

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    thanks

Steel frame Hi Standards are an excellent wheelgun for the money, 9 shot da/sa.

The S&W K22/M17 is a fine one also but you could have 4 Hi Standards for the price of one Smith.

Any of the semi Hi Standard pistols are a blast to shoot from the alphabets to the Olympics they are all good.

The Ruger Mk shoot well but I absolutely hate loading the durn mags. My finger tips are too sore to shoot long before I am anywhere near done shooting.

If I were you I would pick up a cheap Hi Standard Double 9, steel or alloy frame, to shoot and see if you like it. They will handle any of the ammo available but the semi autos require standard velocity.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Steel frame Hi Standards are an excellent wheelgun for the money, 9 shot da/sa.

The S&W K22/M17 is a fine one also but you could have 4 Hi Standards for the price of one Smith.

Any of the semi Hi Standard pistols are a blast to shoot from the alphabets to the Olympics they are all good.

The Ruger Mk shoot well but I absolutely hate loading the durn mags. My finger tips are too sore to shoot long before I am anywhere near done shooting.

If I were you I would pick up a cheap Hi Standard Double 9, steel or alloy frame, to shoot and see if you like it. They will handle any of the ammo available but the semi autos require standard velocity.

https://www.tandemkross.com/TANDEMKROSS-Loading-Tool-and-Lanyard_p_143.html

This is a literal finger saver.

rmw250

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 28, 2014
    Kokomo
    I occasionally see quite a few of the hi standards and the old H&Rs on armslist.... I may pick one up and see how I like it.

any issues on the alloy versions for the hi standards? I personally do not care for alloy guns although I do plan on picking up a wrangler but that’s only because it’s a Ruger and they back their products.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    No real problems as far as functionality, only cosmetic.

The older Double 9's had no return spring on the ejection rod and people tended to leave them hanging out when trying to close them. It leaves a nasty gouge on the left side.

H&R's have never been mistaken for a quality revolver. I have one of their 'target models' I picked up or should say was given. All it needs is the rod to hold the cylinder into the frame.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I picked up a Glock 44 yesterday and, with some help from my wife and friends, we put 898 rounds through with 9 non-ammo related issues. I’m quite happy with this as a plinker.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner

I'm starting to think that a M&P 22 would be a better base platform for my build than a 10/22. I'm starting with a 1994 bone stock 10/22 I've had for ages and want to add a can and an optic for backyard plinking. I want a suppressor and started on a host with a threaded bull barrel for my 10/22. But now I need a stock to fit the barrel. And then I'm going to need a rail for the optic, and then the sight itself...

I'm not looking to build a competition gun, just something for 30-50yd plinking/pest control from the deck. I'm not a great shooter, but I want the gun to be better than me. Might want to do upgrades over time like trigger and stuff if I really get into it. I'd considered the AR style 22's briefly, but I really like the classic rifle look/handling. But, if I can buy a gun that has everything I need for $300 vs building one for $500 I'm listening.

Does the M&P 22 platform have as much aftermarket support as the 10/22? Or is there another 22 platform with similar support as the 10/22 with a price point of the M&P that does everything I want out the box and allow for future upgrades? M&P 22 work with all standard AR accessories?

Spose that's a rabbit hole I can explore tonight.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom