• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcs36

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Steel Challenge at Riley! Come join the fun!
    Match starts: May 15, 2021 @ 10:00 AM · Match ends: May 15, 2021 @ 2:30 PM
    Terre Haute, Indiana 47802
    6 Stages. All are Classifiers.
    Any and all assistance with set-up will be very appreciated.
    Set-Up: 8:30 A.M. to 9:00 A.M.
    Shooters Meeting: 9:45 A.M.
    Match Starts: 10 A.M.
    3 Guns Max. A separate registration is required for each gun.
    $10 first gun, $5 for each additional gun.
    Youth under the age of 18 are half price.
    Pay at check-in.
    If you are feeling sick, please do not feel obligated to attend.
    Contact me with any concerns at: rcs36@yahoo.com Text 812-201-8738
    Richard Stokes\Match Director
    Pre-Register here: https://practiscore.com/riley-cc-steel-challenge-05-15-21/register

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Are you guys okay with a noob to Steel Challenge? I don't want to frustrate anyone but the last one I tried, I ended up timing out on several COF's.

I see that some of you are clearing 5 rounds in about a third of the time I can do one round.

I'll only bring one gun if that helps.

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    Are you guys okay with a noob to Steel Challenge? I don't want to frustrate anyone but the last one I tried, I ended up timing out on several COF's.

I see that some of you are clearing 5 rounds in about a third of the time I can do one round.

I'm not shooting this match, but can confidently say new shooters are always welcome to any shooting sports match provided they are versed enough to follow the basic safety rules. That is all that is required. That and ammo

We all got started somewhere.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Okay I registered. I'm not sure I checked all the right boxes. I checked "U" for unclassified and RFPO which I assume is RimFirePistolOptics. And senior since I'm 61?

Not sure how you squad people up, but whatever you do is fine with me.

Do you do a "new shooters" meeting or anything that I have to show up early for?

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Okay I registered. I'm not sure I checked all the right boxes. I checked "U" for unclassified and RFPO which I assume is RimFirePistolOptics. And senior since I'm 61?

Do you do a "new shooters" meeting or anything that I have to show up early for?
    Good on you Greg for signing up/going. They may change your "U" to "X" but don't worry about that. It is a Steel member/nonmember thing.
    Take a little water, small snack(try not to directly handle while eating, lead you know) and watch your sun exposure.
    i usually make it in an hour ten minutes from the southwest side of Btown unless a gas/food stop is needed.
    Like Longbeard said, Newbies always welcome. You may still be able to "squad" on Practiscore before it closes entries. Usually the evening before the match. It is a way to get on a squad with someone you know or want to see shooting. Not a guarantee as on match day they may need to move people around to even out the squads.
    Have fun and report back. Don't get hung up on your times. Try to hit everything you aim at even if you have to slow down. Taking a miss is only a 3 second penalty so wailing away at it consume more time than taking a miss. I USED to only shoot two misses till I moved on. And don't forget, You have to hit the stop plate last and you have to hit it. S L O W down.
    Good luck, let us know. I have to work or I'd see you there.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Okay, I just saw where you pick a squad so I chose the one that was empty. But put me wherever you think is best.

Oh, and do I come with gun unloaded and bagged or in a holster? I might have other questions so bare with me.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Good on you Greg for signing up/going. They may change your "U" to "X" but don't worry about that. It is a Steel member/nonmember thing.
    Take a little water, small snack(try not to directly handle while eating, lead you know) and watch your sun exposure.
    i usually make it in an hour ten minutes from the southwest side of Btown unless a gas/food stop is needed.
    Like Longbeard said, Newbies always welcome. You may still be able to "squad" on Practiscore before it closes entries. Usually the evening before the match. It is a way to get on a squad with someone you know or want to see shooting. Not a guarantee as on match day they may need to move people around to even out the squads.
    Have fun and report back. Don't get hung up on your times. Try to hit everything you aim at even if you have to slow down. Taking a miss is only a 3 second penalty so wailing away at it consume more time than taking a miss. I USED to only shoot two misses till I moved on. And don't forget, You have to hit the stop plate last and you have to hit it. S L O W down.
    Good luck, let us know. I have to work or I'd see you there.
    I don't know anyone there so it would be a crap shoot which squad to get on. They can put me where they want.

Snack? I'll be bringing lunch! I get hungry!

Boy, there sure is a lot of people with the exact same name signed up! Weird! ;)

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Greg, Gun empty and bagged/cased. Mark your bag/case with an arrow designating the muzzle direction. You do not want to open it at "make ready" and have it pointing backwards toward everyone. That is a NO-NO.
    Load all of your mags tonight to make tomorrow easier. Take the rest of your ammo in whatever storage container you prefer. I use tupperware for .22 with the quantity written and stored inside of it. Original packaging works. So does a Planters nut jar or what have you.
    The "safe tables" are for handling firearms. No ammo handling at those tables. You can check your dot, practice your sight alignment at those tables before the match starts. Then re-bag and go to the shooter's meeting.

rcs36

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012

Hi Greg! Yes new folks are always welcome. What firearm are you planning to shoot and why do you seem to be so slow? Speed is the name of the game. Is your firearm sighted in real good for about 16 - 18 yards? Come on and join us. We will work with you. On May 29th, we at Riley, are hosting a Steel Challenge introduction day. Sounds like a good opportunity for you also.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Gun unloaded. You can holster up at your car, otherwise it's a cold range with 3 safe areas where you can handle your gun without ammo. 9-9:45 for check in, safety meeting at 9:45. Let the RO know you are new. Others will probably chime in with additional advice. Kindly park on the clubhouse side of the driveway.

rcs36

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012

Thank you to all of the fine folks that have replied to help Greg out. Excellent job guys!

Greg, I see now that you are RFRO. Do you have a USPSA number? Don't worry, I will take good care of you and get you squared away.

rcs36

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Okay, I just saw where you pick a squad so I chose the one that was empty. But put me wherever you think is best.

Oh, and do I come with gun unloaded and bagged or in a holster? I might have other questions so bare with me.
    Greg, I put you on squad 1, Smoke and Hope. They had one open spot. They are a fine group of folks and good friends of mine. Check in is at 9 - 9:45 am. Shooters meeting is at 9:45. Match starts at 10 am. Rimfire guns are shot from the "Low Ready". So no holster needed. Just bagged, and keep your mags separate from your gun. If you have any other questions, I am here for you.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Greg, Gun empty and bagged/cased. Mark your bag/case with an arrow designating the muzzle direction. You do not want to open it at "make ready" and have it pointing backwards toward everyone. That is a NO-NO.
    Load all of your mags tonight to make tomorrow easier. Take the rest of your ammo in whatever storage container you prefer. I use tupperware for .22 with the quantity written and stored inside of it. Original packaging works. So does a Planters nut jar or what have you.
    The "safe tables" are for handling firearms. No ammo handling at those tables. You can check your dot, practice your sight alignment at those tables before the match starts. Then re-bag and go to the shooter's meeting.
    Mags loaded. So no bringing it empty in a holster. I will have it in rug in my range bag pointing downrange.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Hi Greg! Yes new folks are always welcome. What firearm are you planning to shoot and why do you seem to be so slow? Speed is the name of the game. Is your firearm sighted in real good for about 16 - 18 yards? Come on and join us. We will work with you. On May 29th, we at Riley, are hosting a Steel Challenge introduction day. Sounds like a good opportunity for you also.
    This time I shooting a Ruger MKII. The first time was a 1911 in .45 with factory loads, iron sights. I have shot since then. I should be much better, lol.

May 29th could work if I like what I experience tomorrow. I do have something planned for that day, but I could switch.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thank you to all of the fine folks that have replied to help Greg out. Excellent job guys!

Greg, I see now that you are RFRO. Do you have a USPSA number? Don't worry, I will take good care of you and get you squared away.
    Sorry guys, I forgot how to multi-quote since the site was done. I don't have a USPSA number.

Top Bottom