• ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    LTCH has nothing to do with long guns.

As far as I'm aware, there are no laws against the transportation of a rifle. Someone else might have to touch on the "loaded" part, but I doubt that's illegal.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I know you can transport it, and where it is illegal to be...it is the "loaded" part that I am really questioning.

I guess I mentioned LTCH because if you have one of those you are allowed to have a loaded handgun with you on your person or just in your car. I thought that might also apply to a rifle as allowing it to be loaded in the vehicle. I stand corrected if that is not so.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    there is no Indiana law about the carrying of a long gun, loaded or not, therefore, It's legal outside of having it within federal or state no gun areas as well as spotlighting for game. Check the IC for yourself, if you find something other that what I stated, let me know.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    In general - carrying a long gun in a car, loaded or not, is 100% perfectly legal.

Provided you're not in a prohibited area to begin with and over the age of 18.

As Bill B alluded to - CERTAIN activities can get you strung up by the Conservation Officers (Like spotlighting deer) with a firearm on your person/vehicle. I'm sure there are other hunting rules/regs/laws in play, too, at various times.

You see folks, laws prohibit things. You'll not find an IN law prohibiting loaded long guns in vehicles.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Last year at a steel match one of the other shooters realized I was just stupid because I wouldn't agree that it was illegal to have a loaded rifle in your vehicle in Indiana. Then someone else supported him with, "We found the law, but we don't remember where."

I'm just silly.

rhino out!

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    No it doesn't, the ltch has nothing to do with other, apples and oranges my friend, apples and oranges.
    Ok let's try something. Have one of your friends who has an LTCH go speeding through town with a loaded handgun in his back pocket. Have another friend who does NOT have an LTCH do the same thing. When they get pulled over, have them both tell the LEO about the gun in their pocket. See what happens...

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ok let's try something. Have one of your friends who has an LTCH go speeding through town with a loaded handgun in his back pocket. Have another friend who does NOT have an LTCH do the same thing. When they get pulled over, have them both tell the LEO about the gun in their pocket. See what happens...

Hypothetical "What would happen" is different from how the law states something should happen.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Ok let's try something. Have one of your friends who has an LOCH go speeding through town with a loaded handgun in his back pocket. Have another friend who does NOT have an LTCH do the same thing. When they get pulled over, have them both tell the LEO about the gun in their pocket. See what happens...

The guy without the LTCH would be in legal hot water whether it was loaded or not. I'm posting from my phone so I can't help with links right now but you sound like you need to do some research before you get yourself or someone else into trouble.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Last year at a steel match one of the other shooters realized I was just stupid because I wouldn't agree that it was illegal to have a loaded rifle in your vehicle in Indiana. Then someone else supported him with, "We found the law, but we don't remember where."

I'm just silly.

rhino out!

Sometimes you just can't argue with stupid! I heard at a gun store once.....

Top Bottom