• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I am going to Illinois to take a look at a used Harley for sale by a private party. If she accepts my offer would I be able to legally ride it home with the title and bill of sale in my possession. Or am I going to have to take the paperwork back to a In. BMV and get a temp plate. It's about a 1.5 hour trip for me so I would like to avoid running back and forth.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    You aren't LIKELY to get stopped unless you get a cop behind you and they get curious. You CAN get a ticket for an unregistered vehicle, but they MIGHT let you off if you have paperwork for a new sale. They COULD get you for no insurance if you don't have it on your new purchase before you ride it home.

Decide for yourself if you are willing to risk it or not.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    As I understand it. You can. Depends on what insurance company you have mine covers for up to 10 days. Just call bmv and make sure. Been there, but just rode it home. Mine were closer. Good luck with the purchase.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    technically you're supposed to have plates, new or not, but I've driven MANY vehicles back from a sale with no tags with no issues. Just be sure you have all of your paperwork in order.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    just out run any cop that tries to stop you . make sure you have a INGO tee shirt on so when you make the news we can cheer you on .

Or ride the whole way home on the back tire...then they wont be able to see there is no license plate anyway.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Do you have all the MC credentials on your license...??
    If not heck no. It will get impounded if you get stopped.
    Will it be insured right away and will you have proof...???
    Rent a trailer.......tow it home and deal with the paperwork when you get it here.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    At least he has a helmet and it matches his paint scheme. I'm sure the front end loves it when gravity takes over..:rolleyes:. Good looking bike and I'm sure it has a plate on it.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I've been pulled over for this. Showed him the signed title, bill of sale, and proof of insurance. He made me leave it on the side of the road. I had to get a ride to the BMV to get plates. I'm glad he didn't impound it, but still.

It's a stupid law. Of course, having to register and plate your vehicle at all is stupid. Land of the free.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I've been pulled over for this. Showed him the signed title, bill of sale, and proof of insurance. He made me leave it on the side of the road. I had to get a ride to the BMV to get plates. I'm glad he didn't impound it, but still.

It's a stupid law. Of course, having to register and plate your vehicle at all is stupid. Land of the free.

I don't think it's a stupid law, as not plating/registering your vehicle would probably end up as a larger intrusion into people's lives.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If you have a valid insurance policy on other vehicles, chances are your insurance company affords "courtesy coverage" for a newly acquired vehicle, but check....however even than, that doesn't take care of the "no plate" issue driving home.

Someone on this forum may have pulled a horse trailer from northwest of Morris, IL to Valpo without a plate and the police didn't seem to care....but I'll never tell who it was...and that there was no enforcement doesn't make something legal.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I rode from Mi back to In on the wifes Rebel with expired Il plates and had no issues. Had bill of sale signed by both of us and title while wife drove in front in the car.

Top Bottom