• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Does anyone know why revolvers have fluted cylinders? I can't see any purpose they serve. Other than taking away a little weight? Maybe decoration?

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I mean outside flutes located inbetween the chambers. I have a Ruger single six and the .22LR cylinder has them and the .22 mag cylinder does not.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I also thought it might be a throw back from the Colt peacemaker days ...when the cylinder had to be rotated and each empty had to be ejected one at a time. It might of helped with the rotation of the cylinder.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Generally, yeah, just to save weight.

I like the aesthetics of the smooth cylinder for some applications. It looks ok on the single six 22 mag cylinder (I have one, too:rockwoot:).
    The new design of the cylinder on the Ruger LCR is pretty cool. Rather than cutting chambers and fluting into a cylinder, the design looks like the chambers were made as-is, rather than cut in as an afterthought.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    There used to be at least one solid, practical reason for them back when BP was the only propellant: They acted as channels to direct a good deal of the fouling away from the face of the cylinder. This helped to slow the accumulation of fouling there so that more rounds could be fired before functioning started to be impeded. They also reduced the mass of the cylinder, which translates into less inertia and reduces the amount of force needed to cause it to rotate.

With the advent of DA revolvers the latter reason became more important, as is helped a lot to effectively increase the mechanical advantages in the mechanism and increased its efficiency while reducing both the force needed to cycle it and the amount of stress placed on several small, critical components, especially the hand, cylinder ratchet and locking bolt.

This helped yield a reduced DA pull effort and longer service life.

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    There used to be at least one solid, practical reason for them back when BP was the only propellant: They acted as channels to direct a good deal of the fouling away from the face of the cylinder. This helped to slow the accumulation of fouling there so that more rounds could be fired before functioning started to be impeded. They also reduced the mass of the cylinder, which translates into less inertia and reduces the amount of force needed to cause it to rotate.

With the advent of DA revolvers the latter reason became more important, as is helped a lot to effectively increase the mechanical advantages in the mechanism and increased its efficiency while reducing both the force needed to cycle it and the amount of stress placed on several small, critical components, especially the hand, cylinder ratchet and locking bolt.

This helped yield a reduced DA pull effort and longer service life.

:+1:
    Great Post! I never knew that...learn something new every day.

Top Bottom