• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I would love to go to that or a cowboy shoot. Too bad they are all on Sunday mornings. I have a standing engagement Sunday mornings.

That match is Saturday, October 28th. Our cowboy match is the 4th Saturday of the month (SAM Silhouette Club). Brookston has a cowboy match on the 3rd Saturday of the month (Wildcat Valley Rifle & Pistol Club).

This coming Saturday is a Steel Challenge match in Warsaw. I will be shooting a 5" 627 with FO front sight. Lots of fun matches on Saturdays.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    That match is Saturday, October 28th. Our cowboy match is the 4th Saturday of the month (SAM Silhouette Club). Brookston has a cowboy match on the 3rd Saturday of the month (Wildcat Valley Rifle & Pistol Club).

This coming Saturday is a Steel Challenge match in Warsaw. I will be shooting a 5" 627 with FO front sight. Lots of fun matches on Saturdays.

I have the 2 single action 44 mags. If I shoot cast 44 specials are they okay for cowboy shoots? They have adjustable rear sights. I have the rifle part covered, but what are the stipulations on the shotguns? Also, can anyone attend the shoot at Warsaw? If so, what time and where in Warsaw?

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I have the 2 single action 44 mags. If I shoot cast 44 specials are they okay for cowboy shoots? They have adjustable rear sights. I have the rifle part covered, but what are the stipulations on the shotguns? Also, can anyone attend the shoot at Warsaw? If so, what time and where in Warsaw?

Lower powered rounds from the 44 mag are fine. Many people shoot that. Your revolvers are fine. The lever action rifle needs to be a pistol caliber. Nothing like a 30-30. A side-by-side shotgun without ejectors is required OR a Winchester (or copy) 1897 pump shotgun. If you have other questions, let me know.

Yes, anyone can shoot the Warsaw matches. Steel Challenge this Saturday is a lot of fun. Below is the info I send out to my league shooters to let then know about the Warsaw match. Hope this helps and I hope you can make it out to shoot. If you need any speedloaders or magazines, let me know. I will bring extra gear out if you need something I have. I plan on shooting a 627 and a Ruger 10/22 rifle.

This Saturday, October 7th, is a Steel Challenge match in Warsaw. Below is the info on the match. You can shoot center fire or rimfire pistols, rimfire rifles, and pistol caliber carbines. There are classes for iron sights or optic for any of those firearms. This is a good match for someone that has not shot in competitions before. You do draw from a holster, except for rimfire pistols. No holster needed for rimfire pistol. Also, try to have at least 5 mags. Each stage is shot 5 times. If you have hi-cap mags, you should be able to shoot 2 to 3 times on a full mag, so you may only need 2 to 3 mags for each stage. Pretty easy and laid back, and only 5 targets on each stage.

Below are some good videos that will explain how the steel challenge works. I know I've shared these videos before, but they are here in case you missed them. The times listed below for the shoot are Eastern time. They are an hour ahead of us (I am on Chicago time), so plan accordingly.

Warsaw Rifle & Pistol Club
    Steel Challenge
    Sat, October 7th, 9am – 2pm
    Monthly on the first Saturday, until Oct 7, 2017

Warsaw Rifle and Pistol Club

Steel Challenge at Warsaw Rifle and Pistol, Sat 10-7-17
    Steel Challenge
    This Saturday, October 7th, WRPC will be hosting our monthly steel match. We will have four stages setup on the upper range (drive to the right). Minimum round count is 100. We recommend you bring 150-200 rounds of ammo for the match, you can always take extra back home.
    Registration opens at 9AM
    Shooters meeting is at 9:45AM
    First shots are fired at 10:00AM
    $10 per gun, $5 for juniors. (Limit of 2 guns per shooter)
    Hope to see you on the range!

-Tim

Getting Started in Steel Challenge (very good overview)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMB8zKY08RU

Stage Planning For Steel Challenge (Roundabout)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB-_7RPsPgY

Max Michel and Blake Miguez talk about the Steel Challenge
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9p31ac45-w

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    S&W Model 66 Combat Magnum.....early 1970's model. I have put wooden combat grips on it per Ahrends Grips in Iowa. Tis my carry weapon when riding the motorcycle.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Just picked up a S&W Bodyguard 38 w/crimson trace yesterday from Bradis.

s3otu0.jpg

Last edited:

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    Lower powered rounds from the 44 mag are fine. Many people shoot that. Your revolvers are fine. The lever action rifle needs to be a pistol caliber. Nothing like a 30-30. A side-by-side shotgun without ejectors is required OR a Winchester (or copy) 1897 pump shotgun. If you have other questions, let me know.

Any particular reason the 1887 shotguns are omitted?

GrinderCB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Greendale
    That's a broad subject. I've always liked the old stuff, both autos and revolvers, but somehow never wound up getting a revolver when I happened to be in the market for something new. That said, my last purchase was in early 2016 when I lived in Ohio and was getting ready for my CHL there. The final shortlist was a CZ 2075 RAMI 9mm, a S&W M&P9c, and the Smith 442 Airweight in 38sp. After renting and shooting each one at local ranges I went to Vance's looking to get the Airweight but when I got there I saw the M&P9c available in the Kryptek camo and fell in love. Since then I've come across an early Police Positive, a Dan Wesson pistol pack in .44Mag and a Smith 60-15 3". Alas, after the M&P9c I became unemployed so money's tight right now. But I'm always looking.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    Sorry, I forgot about the 1887. They are allowed and are pretty fast in the right hands. The 1897 is the only pump shotgun allowed.

Fair enough, thanks. One of these days, when I get the right days off and have the right collection of guns (need another 1873 and a pistol caliber lever gun), I'd love to do one of these shoots. My 1887 is a blast to shoot, even if it's unpractical as all heck.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Fair enough, thanks. One of these days, when I get the right days off and have the right collection of guns (need another 1873 and a pistol caliber lever gun), I'd love to do one of these shoots. My 1887 is a blast to shoot, even if it's unpractical as all heck.

That sounds great. You will enjoy these matches. I've seen guys load 2 shells at a time in the 1887 and they were very fast.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI

That sounds great. You will enjoy these matches. Even if you don't have all the guns, check out a match when you have the time off. Lots of guys will loan you a gun(s). My 1st cowboy match, I needed one more revolver and a shotgun. Guys on my posse loaned me the guns needed so I could shoot. Cowboy shooters are a great bunch and are very helpful.

I've seen guys load 2 shells at a time in the 1887 and they were very fast.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    Picked up a Colt Cobra today. I like the feel of the trigger, not sure how I feel on the fiber optic front sight. Wish they had something other than the gigantic Hogue overmold grip on these things, it's really quite large for the size of the revolver.

XgmkJQS.jpg

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Have both pistols and revolvers but prefer the revolvers. I just shoot better with the revolver.
    S&W: 19 (6"), 610 (6 1/2"), 442
    Ruger: Super Blackhawk Hunter 44 (7 1/2"), Blackhawk 357 (4 5/8")
    Colt: Lightning 38 LC
    Cap and Ball replicas: Colt 1851, (2)Remington 1858

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    Picked up a Colt Cobra today. I like the feel of the trigger, not sure how I feel on the fiber optic front sight. Wish they had something other than the gigantic Hogue overmold grip on these things, it's really quite large for the size of the revolver.

XgmkJQS.jpg

I have a Kimber revolver. I enjoy it. Nice grips, I need to change mine out from the stock blue ones.

Top Bottom